NO TRAINS NORTH OF LEICESTER TONIGHT!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

NO TRAINS NORTH OF LEICESTER TONIGHT!

Post by BJ. »

From today's Derby Telegraph

If you're planning on using the trains to get to and from Leicester today, I suggest you read this article.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: NO TRAINS NORTH OF LEICESTER TONIGHT!

Post by Kinoulton »

I'm not a fan of bashing Britain, but after the massive tsunami which hit Japan in 2011, they had the trains running the very next day. This was serious stuff, whole sections of the infrastucture were wrecked. Google the photos, they are astonishing.

But for us, one derailment means no service until further notice.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

I believe they are running trains during the day & trying to remove the derailed trucks & repair the tracks during the night, they are having to build road way to get access to site this seems the best solution to me after the embankment was damaged by the weather. This should help
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/C ... story.html
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Yes stop knocking the railways. It's a bank holiday weekend at which engineering works regularly happen. If a freight train derails and damages the tracks you can't have fast passenger trains on the tracks so you have the choice of doing the job properly over a short space of time or having a slow stretch of line for ages.

Privatisation of course makes all of this more difficult to manage as there are financial constraints too.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Kinoulton wrote:I'm not a fan of bashing Britain, but after the massive tsunami which hit Japan in 2011, they had the trains running the very next day. This was serious stuff, whole sections of the infrastucture were wrecked. Google the photos, they are astonishing.

But for us, one derailment means no service until further notice.
Pretty much an irrelevant comment - this is just disruption during a holiday period. I'm absolutely sure if we were coping with the aftermath of a Tsunami magnitude the trains would be running in some way or other, if needed. Even the most selfish of us usually react well in times of real need.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

So on the 23rd Feb against Sarries, 8pm kick off are there any trains going to be available after the game, earlier to ask but i would hope the powers that be who have re arranged this game time have arranged for appropriate travel arrangements after the game.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

jamiewilkinson wrote:So on the 23rd Feb against Sarries, 8pm kick off are there any trains going to be available after the game, earlier to ask but i would hope the powers that be who have re arranged this game time have arranged for appropriate travel arrangements after the game.
I'm afraid that if you think the tv companies take train times into account when setting match times you are going to be disappointed. As stated elsewhere this kick off time is due to there being 2 televised 6 nations games on that date.
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

haha TV companies actually caring for those supporters who create the atmosphere in the stadiums that they are filming from, never. They have as much respect for us as I do for them
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

If the Rail Companies can cancel all evening trains out of Cardiff on the day of an international at the Millennium Stadium as they did, don't ever think these organizations talk to each other.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well thanks for saying my comment is irrelevant.

Odd that the newspapers are full of the news of continuing above inflation ticket prices coupled with declining services.

In the last few years I've had contracts in Shirley, Derby, Nuewbury, and Hinckley. At the start of each conract I've investigated the possibility of a rail commute and it's been hopeless.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Kinoulton wrote:Well thanks for saying my comment is irrelevant.

Odd that the newspapers are full of the news of continuing above inflation ticket prices coupled with declining services.

In the last few years I've had contracts in Shirley, Derby, Nuewbury, and Hinckley. At the start of each conract I've investigated the possibility of a rail commute and it's been hopeless.
My comment (probably too abrupt) was solely in reference to the time taken and urgency shown to restore service. As the spokesman said directly afterwards service could be resumed if they were willing to leave the derailed train in position: obviously they can't and access to the site is difficult exacerbated by the fact it's on an embankment.

In general terms I'm more than willing to join any assault on the Railways efficiency and service. I'm not generally in favour of any public subsidy of anything but I do think that if we are going to waste taxes anywhere it should be on Railways (and buses) and water: things individuals can't do anything about on their own. Ever since the day I went from Dortmund to Düsseldorf airport and paid €5.40 to go 70 miles by rail and arrived this end and paid £36.00 to go 90 miles in UK from Stansted (approx 600% more) I've been under no illusion why our public transport system is generally ignored.
Eon

Post by Eon »

If you consider that the majority of rail users are business commuters, whose transport costs are subsidised by tax deduction, you might see how far the rail companies are from needing to consider the recreational users of the network. This also helps explain how holiday periods are targetted for disruption.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I don't blame the people on the frontline who do the real work. I had the privilige of supplying trackside workers when I worked for a recruitment company in Derby and I had a massively willing workforce.

I just feel that the government's meddling in putting Network Rail in charge of track and then a myrriad of companies in charge of running trains has been a nonsense.

Everyone wants us to use public transport rather than cars, but the cost, the journey times and the inconvenience is prohibitive.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I would far prefer to come to WR by train and in theory it's easy, not to mention much cheaper. And I have done it several times. But if the train from Hitchin to Peterborough is late, then I miss the connection, and all too often the train from Peterborough to Leicester is cancelled, so reluctantly I now drive every time.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I was in London recently one evening. Quite a big city.

I left my employer's customers at 8 pm with a view to getting to Hull.

Another very big place.

There were no trains available.

Regretably, the car is king.