The media...... Dumb Britain.

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

The media...... Dumb Britain.

Post by Kinoulton »

Latest gaff.

A respected BBC presenter commenting on the fact that Swedish women commit themselves to sport far more than us said "and this is despite the fact they get less daylight hours than us.

Pick any spot on Earth and it gets EXACTLY the same daylight hours as anywhere else.

Its distribution will vary. On the equator it will be 12/12 all year round. On the poles it will vary from 24/0 to 0/24 but over a year they both get the same amount.

I'm not saying it's important that we all nkow this, but if you are going to earn a handsome salary for sitting on a couch and pontificating to millions of licence fee payers, you should get your facts right.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: The media...... Dumb Britain.

Post by DickyP »

Whilst no doubt they would get all picky and say things like daylight hours isn't the same as daytime hours and compare cloud cover etc, you are absolutely right to despair of the people who are supposed to be accurately informative.

I can understand different slants/interpretations of political events, and opinions about culture and sport but simple physical measurement shouldn't be beyond them!

On a similar but lighter note it reminds me of the sign outside our local Aldi "Want longer opening hours?" - I feel like popping in and say "Yes please, can we have 65 minute ones"
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: The media...... Dumb Britain.

Post by Kinoulton »

I'm reminded of a previous gaff when the Boxing Day Tsunami was listed amongst a list of events due to climate change.

Therefore me driving my car made tectonic plates move?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!