Southern softies!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Southern softies!

Post by BJ. »

According to today's Daily Torygraph, less than an inch of snow fell yesterday in the Home Counties but it caused at least 50 flights to be cancelled at Stansted due to the runway being closed for two hours. Flights were also cancelled at Luton as were early morning trains between London and Watford Junction.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Southern softies!

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

We are, as Brits, pathetic compared to others. I know we don't expect to suffer like some places but it's not beyond us to carry on when our weather is slightly worse than usual.

I went to Virginia one February when there was around 4 ft of snow. The airports were open, trains were running, the roads were cleared, the schools were open, and pavements were effectively shovelled and gritted.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:We The airports were open, trains were running, the roads were cleared, the schools were open, and pavements were effectively shovelled and gritted.
The people that used to do that over here were all paid off as not required by those people in our government, trying to save money for tax cuts for the rich. :smt013
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

The people that used to do that over here were all paid off as not required by those people in our government, trying to save money for tax cuts for the rich. :smt013[/quote]

Are you suggesting we have ever been able to deal with snow or a little ice- not that I remember!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

One of life's abiding misapprehensions is that we deal worse with snow than other nations. We merely have less practice at the skills such as driving in the snow and are less likely these days to have sensible cold-weather clothing.

The real problem is that the chaos caused when the snow first falls as temperatures hit freezing. In Germany where I lived for many years everything stops - no-one goes to work, schools declare 'Schneefrei' and they set about clearing the roads ready for at least several days and more usually several weeks of snow on the ground and -10 or so temperatures. In UK of course we have the chaos and then everything is clear in 24-48 hours and a couple of days later we go through the whole rigmarole again. With them, as well, once the snow is there it says frozen and you put on your chains and drive on it: here the snow melts and turns to watery/slippery ice.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

You should hear my Dutch friend on the subject of the flooding in the UK recently!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Rizzo wrote:You should hear my Dutch friend on the subject of the flooding in the UK recently!
Interesting that the part of UK where the flooding seems to have least impact is in the areas which should be most at risk: the fens and Norfolk but where we still have properly maintained drainage.

The flooding is probably no worse elsewhere than it's ever been it's just that we insist on building houses on water meadows and flood plains, don't put in any form of drainage and then act all surprised when they flood.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

DickyP wrote:

The flooding is probably no worse elsewhere than it's ever been it's just that we insist on building houses on water meadows and flood plains, don't put in any form of drainage and then act all surprised when they flood.
This is oh so true, when I left Leicester to live in Derbyshire they built houses on a field that flooded most winters and it just has again, they builders and more importantly the people who gave planning permission should be liable to prosecution.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

BJ. wrote:According to today's Daily Torygraph, less than an inch of snow fell yesterday in the Home Counties but it caused at least 50 flights to be cancelled at Stansted due to the runway being closed for two hours. Flights were also cancelled at Luton as were early morning trains between London and Watford Junction.
FYI Stansted locally had 2 inches of snow in the space of one hour albeit unforecast. No roads were pregritted. My wifes Audi Quattro and my Jeep ptogressed. However many front and rear wheel drive vehicles were not so lucky and visitted the ditches. The airport cleared the snow very quickly - somewhat more quickly than NA Airports would manage.
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

We rented a house in the Scottish Highlands one Christmas on a very remote tiny road.

Heavy snow so I mothballed the car and walked the dogs. Immediately a snow plough - gritter came thundering at us and hey presto they cleared the entire 8 miles.

By contrast on our journey up there through England via the A1 and A1M these major arteries were lethal.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!