Bands seen in Leicester

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bbfb10
Tiger Cub

Re: Bands seen in Leicester

Post by bbfb10 »

Saw Kasabian at Leicester Athena Cinema 7 years ago. 500 people at a secret gig including Lewis Moody, Dan Hipkiss and Geordan Murphy.
Johndudey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Johndudey »

Can I ask for any longtime Leicesterites why is it that many bands don't play in Leicester compared to other cities? The fixtures for the O2 Academy in Leicester are horrendous compared to many other cities O2's. Also, De Montfort Hall does not host many bands, which on one hand is understandable as it's mainly used for plays and comedies, but is also slight seen as a waste to myself. It seems that most bands I'd want to see these days, I would have to travel to Nottingham or Birmingham. Any thoughts on why, or does my music need to be less narrowly focused?
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Johndudey wrote:Can I ask for any longtime Leicesterites why is it that many bands don't play in Leicester compared to other cities? The fixtures for the O2 Academy in Leicester are horrendous compared to many other cities O2's. Also, De Montfort Hall does not host many bands, which on one hand is understandable as it's mainly used for plays and comedies, but is also slight seen as a waste to myself. It seems that most bands I'd want to see these days, I would have to travel to Nottingham or Birmingham. Any thoughts on why, or does my music need to be less narrowly focused?
At the risk of having my head bitten off I will try and give a considered answer to the question posed.

Not only for Bands such as described but also for more 'cultural' events, Leicester's facilities are not really able to compete with Nottingham the big local rival.

Also for outsiders Leicester is in a bit of an anomalous situation: not big enough to be seen as an attractive centre for events, despite being big enough and well known enough not to be totally ignored.

Once you get to Leicester it is also less easy to navigate and park in etc than other similar size cities, notably its local rival Nottingham.

Lastly, of course, there is the self perpetuating nature of these things: acts/bands go where they've always gone and therefore it becomes increasingly difficult for Leicester to break the mould.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Johndudey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Johndudey »

DickyP wrote:
Johndudey wrote:Can I ask for any longtime Leicesterites why is it that many bands don't play in Leicester compared to other cities? The fixtures for the O2 Academy in Leicester are horrendous compared to many other cities O2's. Also, De Montfort Hall does not host many bands, which on one hand is understandable as it's mainly used for plays and comedies, but is also slight seen as a waste to myself. It seems that most bands I'd want to see these days, I would have to travel to Nottingham or Birmingham. Any thoughts on why, or does my music need to be less narrowly focused?
At the risk of having my head bitten off I will try and give a considered answer to the question posed.

Not only for Bands such as described but also for more 'cultural' events, Leicester's facilities are not really able to compete with Nottingham the big local rival.

Also for outsiders Leicester is in a bit of an anomalous situation: not big enough to be seen as an attractive centre for events, despite being big enough and well known enough not to be totally ignored.

Once you get to Leicester it is also less easy to navigate and park in etc than other similar size cities, notably its local rival Nottingham.

Lastly, of course, there is the self perpetuating nature of these things: acts/bands go where they've always gone and therefore it becomes increasingly difficult for Leicester to break the mould.
Ahhh thanks very much for the reply! This makes a lot of sense. At least there are always a decent amount of bars to go to that have much smaller, unknown bands to enjoy. Thanks!
Johndudey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Johndudey »

DickyP wrote:

Ahhh thanks very much for the reply! This makes a lot of sense. At least there are always a decent amount of bars to go to that have much smaller, unknown bands to enjoy. Thanks!
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

Ive lived in Leics now for 7.5 years and to this day I've only watched one band/musician perform anywhere in Leicestershire and that was Lee Ryan at Loughborough Uni probably about 7 or so years ago. If I want to go to a gig I either travel home to Newcastle or go to Nottingham. I am in fact going to the De Montfort Hall for the first time in May to go and watch not a gig but a comedy show (Frank Skinner) and what I was struck by as how out of the way it is - I have an excuse in not knowing where it is Im not a native :smt003 but the other half is a born and bred Leicester lad and even he doesn't know where it is. It seems a shame that more bands don't come and play here but I suppose its as someone said the other major cities have bigger/better facilities etc.
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/City- ... story.html

apparently some possible potential for a new venue/stadium with 8000 seat capacity.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Rizzo wrote:http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/City- ... story.html

apparently some possible potential for a new venue/stadium with 8000 seat capacity.
Interesting as I hadn't seen this: I notice in particular that it comes out of discussions about an arena for the Leicester Riders. Whilst I dislike basketball myself I am delighted that we have a champion team and believe that it should have good facilities and think that any new arena should keep this successful team at the core. Nottingham's big advantage is the Ice Arena (whatever its sponsor title may be at the moment) which hold thousands for ice hockey and even more for major names such as Dolly Parton, André Rieu etc, and I'd love to see Leicester able to compete at that level. Of course, Nottingham also has three major theatres which helps them. 'Twill be a long road to catch up.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

In the sixties & seventies I saw a number of major groups at De Mont. Beatles,John Mayall, Family and who could forget Duster Bennet. I also seem to remember seeing Free there.
Birmingham Town Hall was good with Canned Heat and Led Zeppelin. More recently The Police and Elbow at the NIA.

However, the ultimate venue was the Frolikin Kneecap at Market Harborough- Jethro Tull, Family, Chicken Shack, Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rouser and many more!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The DeMontfort Hall used to be on pretty much every major tour list during the '60's and '70's, whilst the Uni and Poly plus Lugerberugers Uni were for the "underground" artists, add in the Il Rondo and I was able to see a top live band every month if not every week. Places like Nottingham were behind Leicester back then and Leicester were on a par with Brum, who had "The Mothers" club and "Barbarellas" and not much else.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

tigerburnie wrote:The DeMontfort Hall used to be on pretty much every major tour list during the '60's and '70's, whilst the Uni and Poly plus Lugerberugers Uni were for the "underground" artists, add in the Il Rondo and I was able to see a top live band every month if not every week. Places like Nottingham were behind Leicester back then and Leicester were on a par with Brum, who had "The Mothers" club and "Barbarellas" and not much else.
Trouble is everywhere else has go bigger, whilst Leicester's venues have stood still. At the level they're at they compete very well, but the "big boys" expect place that hold multi-thousands.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Very true Dicky, with fans now expecting their music for free, the only way bands earn money is from live gigs these days. Tigers are in a better position to hold concerts these days as they have the seating capacity(just). I recall when bands played for not much money or maybe a percentage of the door takings. These days the bands(or their promoter) hires the stadium and takes all the gate money,less ticket sellers commision. Hence now most gigs tickets cost over a £100 each!!
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.