Ryder Cup

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ryder Cup

Post by Jay C »

Well, I don't normally watch any golf at all.... but switched on the Ryder Cup just as Europe won the first singles match - I was then glued to it right until Kaymer sank the winning putt and beyond !

The atmosphere and tension was immense and the quality of golf and sportsmanship on show was (on the whole) excellent.

Phil Mickleson's sporting applause to Justin Rose at 16 was a real highlight as he would have been two down with two to play if he had missed - and then went on to win the match at 18 - amazing play.

The reverence and added support of the occasion from the memory of Seve Ballesteros was also palpable on the players - and especially on Olazabal, who has had so many great playing memories alongside the great man in the Ryder Cup....to captain the team playing in his memory was clearly emotional beyond all control.

A great sporting spectacle - and I never thought I would say that about golf !!
Tigerbeat

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by Tigerbeat »

Well done to the European team! Also the Americans should be given some praise for the way that they played and the sportsmanship that they showed in defeat.
Mickelson acknowledging the putts that Rose made and Tiger Woods conceding the hole to give the win to Europe. He could have made Molinari make the putt and the match would have been drawn, but not enough for USA to regain it.
Looking forward to Gleneagles in 2 years time.

Seve, this one is for you!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

agree 100% Jay C. After a truly amazing summer of sport, the Ryder Cup is the icing on the cake. Stayed up so late to watch it but worth every minute. The way it built to such a crescendo was mind blowing.

Can't help thinking of those Americans who kept going on about how many they would win by. yeah! but agree about Phil Mickelson. He seems like a really nice bloke, not one of those gobby Americans.

and I so admire Jose-Maria and his utter devotion to Seve. Such emotion. Very moving.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think the Americans learned their lesson after that unfortunate incident when the players stormed over the green when the Europeans still had to putt.

But in a country with very loose gun laws, can they not introduce to the statute book that any spectator who shouts "In the hole!" can be legally shot on sight?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!