Richard causes excitement in Tigerland!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Richard causes excitement in Tigerland!

Post by Bill W (2) »

Still keeping the faith!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Re: Richard causes excitement in Tigerland!

Post by cornish tigress »

How exciting! My favourite ever funny shop sign was in a camping shop window saying "Now is the winter of our discount tents" He must have been a Richard III fan.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

This dig is around the corner from where I work - they did some other digs a year ago on the area which is the Applegate carpark (used to be Southgates bus garage) but the archaologist there told me they knew Greyfriars was "further over" and all they found in the old bus garage land was part of the Roman road and some Roman pottery and tiles.

As a Ricardian supporter, I do hope they find some evidence of the Greyfriars church, and if they did find any remains it would be a little bit miraculous to be able to identify them. There is a grave marker within the Cathedral which honours Richard III - who despite Tudor propaganda & the works of Shakespeare - was a good and just king and an able battle commander (and not a hunchback, cripple etc).

If nothing else, finding his remains would give the chance to bury him with the honour due to an English king.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

'A good King who died with his sword in his hand.'Much maligned by Shakespeare, of course.

It would be great if they did find some remains. What an interesting project! Is there anything to see there? Is it worth a detour on my way to the ground next Sunday?
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

Just as an aside Henry I rests under a primary school in Reading. As with the Richard III dig the land was owned by the Church.
So,car park or school,it's just land that's been built over.

PS The Philippa Gregory books are nice easy reading about this period (York vs Lancs).
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

CJ wrote:'A good King who died with his sword in his hand.'Much maligned by Shakespeare, of course.

It would be great if they did find some remains. What an interesting project! Is there anything to see there? Is it worth a detour on my way to the ground next Sunday?

No, the dig is not open to the public - you can sort of see through the railings/gates but that's all. I'll have a recce down there tomorrow during my lunch break.
Demelza - another Mother
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

thanks Rizzo. keep us informed!

I went to the Globe last night for Richard III - superb production, IMO - but had a real job to remember who married whom (in real life, that is) and how they were all related.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Just got back from a bit of a look round the area of the dig. The main entrance on New Street (the end nearest the Cathedral) has big solid wooden gates and railings on top of those (the only reason I could see anything was because a taxi was reversing out of the carpark as I walked by.)

You can see more from the gates on St Martins, just up from the Cathedral on the opposite side (nearer town). These seem to be just iron railings so you can see through, but there are blue tarpaulin sheets round part of the trenches and you're not that near them to be able to see down inside really.

Both entrances/gates have BIG notices saying No Public Access etc etc.

Should you wish to pay respects to Richard Plantagenet, there is a black marble commemorative marker slab in the centre of the Nave to the Cathedral.
Demelza - another Mother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

EDIT to above post

http://www2.le.ac.uk/news/blog/2012/sep ... -september

According to the Richard III Society " There are provisional plans for the site to be open to the public on Saturday 8th September" - if I find anything else out I'll post it here.
Demelza - another Mother
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tremendous excitement.

I have stopped sulking (briefly) to post this.

Whilst Richard 111 was not necessarily as bad as portayed he did cause several (innocent) people to lose their lives.

I can still drop a shoulder and deliver, in a weasily voice, "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son of York". And whilst he died with his sword in his hand he was horseless!

Leicestershire has much history to celebrate and, perhaps, dines out on it not enough. The Chairman of Governors at my old School (Lutterworth) was Lord Cromwell.

It would be wonderful if Richards remains were discovered.
Still keeping the faith!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

yes, he lost his horse, but I've been to Bosworth Field and you can clearly see the railway track so I can't understand why he didn't just get the train back to Leicester and escape.

and yes, I am joking, although I gather some Americans think that Hampton Court was built where it is because the station is close by. ditto Windsor Castle.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

CJ wrote:I gather some Americans think that Hampton Court was built where it is because the station is close by. ditto Windsor Castle.
This is slightly off topic but when I went to Paris and visited the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arc de Triomphe, an American asked the person he was with, '1914-1918? Was the Unknown Soldier only four years old?'
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

From the Richard III Society

The Greyfriars Project dig open day is confirmed for Saturday 8th September from 11am to 2pm. Search Team and Richard III Society member Philippa Langley will be there to show visitors around the site. Do mention you heard about it via Facebook if you visit on Saturday.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/news/blog/2012/sep ... -september
Demelza - another Mother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Archaelogists confirm they have found the Greyfriars church!

http://www2.le.ac.uk/news/blog/2012/sep ... rey-friars
Demelza - another Mother
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Hurrah!

Now they have to locate the choir which is where Richard was thought to be buried.

Fingers crossed for a discovery!!
Still keeping the faith!