Jason Manford on Trolls

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Jason Manford on Trolls

Post by Rizzo »

This article has caused some discussion on the other messageboard I use, wonder what you guys think of it? Are "trolls" a separate species to the kind of people posting stuff Jason refers to, or is it the same umbrella term?

Whatever you think of Gary Barlow, Jason Manford etc, it's still a well written thought-provoking piece.

http://youngturkrevolution.wordpress.co ... ry-barlow/
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Jason Manford on Trolls

Post by h's dad »

I don't usually get the urge to post simply to say I agree with something, as I think it just gets in the way, but in this case I felt compelled.

Quite like Jason Manford, not sure who Gary Barlow is but really an excellent article.

Thanks for posting it Rizzo.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Great article........good read

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Excellent article.

The comments JM writes about abound in the comments section of red top and other tabloid newspapers. I despair at the ignorant and unfeeling attitude of so many people.

"Trolls" surely also applies to the likes of that Scottish "comedian" who made personal and objectionable comments about Rebecca Adlington. The same applies to those posters on this forum who make unpleasant comments about players without any objective criteria to back them up.

What goes on between BillW and Kinny may be described as "banter".

"Criticism", backed by evidence, is just that, and is quite legitimate.
Valhalla I am coming!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

The term "Troll" originated as a term meaning someone who posts specifically to be offensive or inflammatory. It's spread to cover a wider term now, the kind of people who post abusive, offensive or generally nasty things just because they can. Sadly with the freedom of the internet, and the ability of people to hide behind various IDs and usernames, and indeed their computer, it becomes open to the dregs who are now generally referred to as ""trolls".
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I did consider trolling once when Forest were about to be visited by Millwall (who I assumed were stupid violent scum) so I thought I'd go on their message board and make them mad.

But when I read their threads, they were all really nice people! It was all posts like "I love visiting the City Ground", "I've heard there's a great nightlife in Nottingham so three of us girls are staying", "I reckon it will be a cracking game but Forest really are playing good football this season"

So my trolling career never got off the ground. I sent nice posts wishing them a great day out and a good game in Nottingham and recommended a few pubs.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!