Only the Scots ....

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Only the Scots ....

Post by Jay C »

The Boy Dave wrote:
if a sportsman or sportswoman agrees to play representing Team GB - i.e. Great Britain - they should sing the British National Anthem. No question. If they choose not to do so, then they don't represent GB
This is the silliest comment I have ever read on this forum and is British hypocrisy at it's peak!
Do you really expect a person with atheist beliefs and republican views to sing along to god save the queen?
From the hype at the opening ceremony I thought these games were supposed to be about multiculturalism and bringing people together but it would appear the politics will just not go away, very sad!
The SA rugby players all had to learn & sing their national anthem - no difference here methinks .....
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

The SA rugby players all had to learn & sing their national anthem - no difference here methinks
One big difference.
The English and the GB anthem are one and the same.
To expect the other home nations to hear it as opponents when they face England and then demand they sing along to the same anthem when GB play is a bit cheeky IMO.
I much prefer "Land Of Hope And Glory" for England which leaves God Save The Queen with a clear identity as the GB anthem but still after this some will not choose to sing other than in the shower.
Cheery chappy
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I've never understood why football and rugby (and indeed other sports where the UK teams play separately) can't get their act together: at the Commonwealth Games since 2010 we have a separate 'English' anthem - "Jerusalem" - so it's not impossible!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

The Boy Dave wrote:
The SA rugby players all had to learn & sing their national anthem - no difference here methinks
One big difference.
To expect the other home nations to hear it as opponents when they face England and then demand they sing along to the same anthem when GB play is a bit cheeky IMO.
But the Queen is also the acknowledged ruler (currently) of all of Great Britain and I would expect everyone to sing the national anthem of the country they are representing....

Also, I bet all the other athletes are quite happy to hear God Save the Queen played when/if they won a gold medal, regardless of which home nation they happen to represent in other competitions.

After devolution (when/if it goes through) I assume the Scots will represent themselves at the Olympics and can sing what they like. Until then the petulant footballers should grow up, IMO.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Jay C wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:
One big difference.
But the Queen is also the acknowledged ruler (currently) of all of Great Britain and I would expect everyone to sing the national anthem of the country they are representing....

Also, I bet all the other athletes are quite happy to hear God Save the Queen played when/if they won a gold medal, regardless of which home nation they happen to represent in other competitions.

After devolution (when/if it goes through) I assume the Scots will represent themselves at the Olympics and can sing what they like. Until then the petulant footballers should grow up, IMO.
Whilst I hear what you are saying Jay C , there are NO Scots in the GB team,it was the Welsh who didn't sing (allegedly)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I totally agree with Rizzo who sings carols.

When I worked and lived in Nigeria I celebrated both the Muslim and Christian festivals in joyous spirit, even though I am neither, and celebrated Burns Night whole heartedly with my Scottich friends who would also invite Nigerians.

In the unlikely event that I would have been honoured to represent Nigeria at anything then I would have sung their anthem at the top of my voice.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Scottich????

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Whilst I hear what you are saying Jay C , there are NO Scots in the GB team,it was the Welsh who didn't sing (allegedly)

Kim Little (ladies football) and another of the ladies football team - are both Scots. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2012 ... -23913704/
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Thank you Rizzo.

I apologise to anyone offended by my forgetting that there is one GB soccer team that is trying hard and doing well.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game