Only the Scots ....

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Only the Scots ....

Post by Bill W (2) »

...could manage such a fiasco!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18991619

Can it be arranged that for all future "Scottish" games St Georges Cross is shown?

For an aspiring "nation" they seem to have put their foot right in it!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Only the Scots ....

Post by fleabane »

Is this more heinous and insulting than flying the Union flag upside down, something I regularly see south of the border? :smt009

As a political statement, the Scots got it about right! A promising future awaits. :smt003
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Christ! If your only job is to get that right, how on Earth do you get it wrong?

I don't know what the North Korean flag, or South Korean flag look like, but if my job was to display it, I would bl**dy well research and get it right.

Maybe it's their repayment from the number of stupid English people who refer to them as "Scotch".
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote:Christ! If your only job is to get that right, how on Earth do you get it wrong?

I don't know what the North Korean flag, or South Korean flag look like, but if my job was to display it, I would bl**dy well research and get it right.

Maybe it's their repayment from the number of stupid English people who refer to them as "Scotch".
I see they have fallen back on the old get out "blame the English".

Should we bring back Marshall Wade?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well the Scots have the option to become a small independent nation with oil.

I think a variety of military actions in Iraq, Libya and Kuwait have prepared us for that one!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Kinoulton wrote:Well the Scots have the option to become a small independent nation with oil.

I think a variety of military actions in Iraq, Libya and Kuwait have prepared us for that one!
I understand there is a plan, in the event of Scottish independence, for the Shetlands to go UDI and claim all the oil.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Kinoulton wrote:.... Maybe it's their repayment from the number of stupid English people who refer to them as "Scotch".
Oh you mean stupid English people like Walter Scott and Robert Burns who used "Scotch" almost exclusively. Referring to themselves as Scots or Scottish rather than Scotch is a 20th Century affectation.

Personally I've always said Jockinese, as we few Sassenachs in a Regiment that recruited in Greenock and Port Glasgow used to refer to them.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

And now we have the "issue" of the scots footballers refusing to sing the anthem of the country they are representing :smt017

To make matters worse, the coach then empathises instead of chastising them :smt018

IMO they should have refused a place in the squad if they felt so strongly about it ......

What do others think ?
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

This anthem business is causing a lot of red faces.

There is a rather well known "English" footballer who never sings his anthem, even though he plays for England, I'm guessing because he is of Irish Catholic descent. But surely if you are brought up in a country, and agree to play for them at the highest level, then you adopt its culture?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

In my personal opinion, if a sportsman or sportswoman agrees to play representing Team GB - i.e. Great Britain - they should sing the British National Anthem. No question. If they choose not to do so, then they don't represent GB.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Jay C wrote:And now we have the "issue" of the scots footballers refusing to sing the anthem of the country they are representing :smt017

To make matters worse, the coach then empathises instead of chastising them :smt018

IMO they should have refused a place in the squad if they felt so strongly about it ......

What do others think ?
I've not been watching this and am not aware of the issue and coach's comments but which are the Scots? I thought there were twelve English and Five Welsh in the squad as the Scots and Irish FAs had refused to sanction a GB squad.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

H's dad is correct there are no Scottish players in team GB for the football (men's at least). The issue came from the Welsh internationals refusing to sing along.

Joe Allen did show some sense when shown a programme for the game that stated he was English and the cheeky report asked him if he was going to refuse to take the field until it was fixed. He only said that, "we'll have to get that fixed for next time".

Got to say I hate to see any athlete in any sport not singing the anthem, though normally with the footballers I assume they are either to dim or to arrogant to bother to research and learn the words.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

if a sportsman or sportswoman agrees to play representing Team GB - i.e. Great Britain - they should sing the British National Anthem. No question. If they choose not to do so, then they don't represent GB
This is the silliest comment I have ever read on this forum and is British hypocrisy at it's peak!
Do you really expect a person with atheist beliefs and republican views to sing along to god save the queen?
From the hype at the opening ceremony I thought these games were supposed to be about multiculturalism and bringing people together but it would appear the politics will just not go away, very sad!
Cheery chappy
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

h's dad wrote:
Jay C wrote:And now we have the "issue" of the scots footballers refusing to sing the anthem of the country they are representing :smt017

What do others think ?
I've not been watching this and am not aware of the issue and coach's comments but which are the Scots? I thought there were twelve English and Five Welsh in the squad as the Scots and Irish FAs had refused to sanction a GB squad.

It was the women's football, a Scots player called Kim Little, and another Scots female player. Both refused to sing the National Anthem (as well as the Welsh male players etc as mentioned).
Demelza - another Mother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

The Boy Dave wrote:
if a sportsman or sportswoman agrees to play representing Team GB - i.e. Great Britain - they should sing the British National Anthem. No question. If they choose not to do so, then they don't represent GB
This is the silliest comment I have ever read on this forum and is British hypocrisy at it's peak!
Do you really expect a person with atheist beliefs and republican views to sing along to god save the queen?
From the hype at the opening ceremony I thought these games were supposed to be about multiculturalism and bringing people together but it would appear the politics will just not go away, very sad!
You are entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine and we're both entitled to express them on here. (politely).

Do I expect an atheist or republican to sing the National Anthem? If they are representing their country, then yes I do. I am not a Christian but I sing it...I sing Christmas carols too.

My feeling is that if you are playing for Great Britain, you are indeed "bringing people together" and your personal stance on an independent Scotland or Wales should be put aside. To me it isn't politics, it's respect and pride in playing for your country.
Demelza - another Mother