Drinking banned on Scottish trains.

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Drinking banned on Scottish trains.

Post by Bill W (2) »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18549048

Why don't they just get Lindleys to run the catering?

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: Drinking banned on Scottish trains.

Post by Kinoulton »

Another pointless piece of legislation.

Pubs have been dealing with this for hundreds of years. If you're sobre, you can buy a drink. If you're already drunk, you can't.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Not an exact analogy - if I'm in a pub and others are misbehaving through drink I can get up and walk out, whereas this is a little more difficult on a train.

Mind you, of course, you can easily argue that pubs have been failing to deal with this for hundreds of years!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The thing is, someone in London tried to bring this same sort of legislation when a bus driver in a dodgy part of Southwark got beaten up by a gang who may, or may not, have been drunk.

Where is the correlation between Mr Brown enjoying a glass of red on his train on his way back to Leicester after a hard day in London, and bunch of thugs in one of the nastiest suburbs on Earth getting on a bus (where of course they can't buy drink anyway) and setting upon an unprotected driver.

It's time we started applying the drunk & disorderly laws and stopped messing about with legislation that you can't buy a bottle of wine from our local Costcutters at 10 a.m. on Sunday morning, but come 11 a.m. you can buy what you want. It achieves nothing.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

They've banned the carrying of alcohol as well so if you have been away and visited the duty free for the odd bottle of gin, you cannot go home by train after whatever time. I can only hope First Capital Connect do not bring in a similar and similarly daft rule.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

CJ wrote:They've banned the carrying of alcohol as well so if you have been away and visited the duty free for the odd bottle of gin, you cannot go home by train after whatever time. I can only hope First Capital Connect do not bring in a similar and similarly daft rule.
Surely this is an infringement of Human Rights?

European Court should be engaged. Is Scotland part of Europe?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

And now the nannying on fags is about to start.

I don't smoke, and I don't care who does. My wife smokes to when I go to the local Costcutter, I scan the array of fags on display and pick out the cheapest Superkings Menthol I can, and ask for a packet. Easy.

But at the "big" supermarket, order to not influence the teenies, all fags are hidden behind the counter somewhere, so you have no idea what they've got or what it costs.

You have to go into a mind numbingly tedious guessing game that is reminscent of John Cleese in the cheese shop sketch. Utter stupidity. Windsor Blue? No? How about Berkelys? No? OK, I'll guess again.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote: Utter stupidity..

The politicians both north and south of the border do not have the courage of their supposed convictions.

Will they ban the sale of alcohol and tobacco?

No!

Indeed many want to legalise cannabis.

I recall a per pro speaking a foreign language detailing the necessary converation to get a drink in a UK pub:

A beer please?

Mild, bitter or lager?

This that or the other?

Pint or a half?

Glass or a jug?

:smt002
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's down to individuals to look after themselves.

I've never smoked and I no longer drink at all. This has nothing to do with the garage refusing to sell me vodka after 10:30 or Formula One cars no longer carrying tobacco sponsorship.

It's down to me being cheered up by the doctor telling me that I am as fit as a flea as a result of my efforts.

If you are lured into smoking and drinking because you believe the adverts which say that drinking Bacardi leads to an exotic night with scantilly clad Brazillian dancers, and smoking Marlborough makes you into a horse riding western hero, then your brain is screwed up anyway.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's down to individuals to look after themselves.

I've never smoked and I no longer drink at all. This has nothing to do with the garage refusing to sell me vodka after 10:30 or Formula One cars no longer carrying tobacco sponsorship.

It's down to me being cheered up by the doctor telling me that I am as fit as a flea as a result of my efforts.

If you are lured into smoking and drinking because you believe the adverts which say that drinking Bacardi leads to an exotic night with scantilly clad Brazillian dancers, and smoking Marlborough makes you into a horse riding western hero, then your brain is screwed up anyway.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote:It's down to individuals to look after themselves.

Absolutely!

You may choose not to smoke or drink, - your right!

Some may choose not to eat potk - their right!

Some choose not to eat meat at all - again their right!

But to tell me where I may and may not drink, smoke, eat pork or any other meat? Why do politicians assume that right? Even in Scotland?

They are hypocritical IMHO.

If smoking is a sin - make it illegal (and lose the next election and lotsa tax revenues). If drinking is a sin pass a prohibition law (and lose the next general election and lotsa tax revenues). If eating pork is a sin ban pig farming and sales of pork (that could win votes in some constituencies).

:smt009 :smt009 :smt009
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

There is a part of our multi-racial secular society which lives by a code forbidding alcohol.

This should make them ideal Rail employees, as that industry has a zero tolerance attitude to drink and drug usage.

And there's the problem. 90% of the people who were confirmed non-drinkers flatly refused to take the drugs test (it goes back three months) because they knew they would fail, and simply withdrew their application for work.

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

And thereby lost their job seekers allowance?

:smt009
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I doubt it!

All is not bad in Britain. We would somethimes get a late call from Network Rail wanting 25 accredited trackside workers to turn up on Friday evening in Peterbrough or somewhere and work the entire weekend.

We would soon have 25 blokes, on time, all with the relevant documentation and just pleased to be working.

On one such occassion we got a call on Sunday night asking if the lads could stay until Wednesday. Well we had no idea what plans they had, but 22 of them rang home, told their families they had more work and wouldn't be home. They stayed on to the delight of Network Rail, and us.

These people are in stark contrast to the malingerers who have no intention of helping themselves.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

These people are in stark contrast to the malingerers who have no intention of helping themselves.
Just so!

My local TESCO's (like many others) has recently had a "makeover". As a result for a couple of days the dot com staff's computers did not know where anything was. Although no doubt inwardly spitting feathers they crried on cheerfully (even though 4 hours - timed and monitored - work took 6) and management stationed itself throughout the store to help idiots like me find where the anchovies had moved to!

It is now all sorted! And lots of smiling faces!

Have you read Terry Leahy's latest book?
Still keeping the faith!