BBC Jubilee Celebrations

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

BBC Jubilee Celebrations

Post by Jay C »

Was anyone else disappointed with the stuff shown on TV ?

Hopefully anyone in London for the Pageant or Concert had a great time, but I thought the TV coverage of the Pageant was poor & the concert creaked a bit too.

No information on the Dunkirk ships in particular, and a general dumming down of the whole Pageant experience, seem to be the main gripes of folks ....

The concert, overall, was very enjoyable, but what was Grace Jones doing there ? And two Americans (Stevie Wonder & will.i.am) singing happy birthday .... what was that about ?
Then the whole 'Rolf please cover this technical hitch/gap in the programme, then let me interrupt you mid verse' bit left me cold :smt009

Thanks goodness for Gary Barlow's programme on making the Jubilee single - now that was inspirational and interesting TV :smt038
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: BBC Jubilee Celebrations

Post by fleabane »

BBC's effort should be under Joke of the Day.

I thought Sky's coverage informative, interesting and sufficiently, but not overly deferential.
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Perhaps down to personal taste. I have no problem with the Royal Family, I like them, and events like the Queen Mother's funeral possessed a balance that only Britain seem able to do.

But long events and cermonies leave me cold. I've never watched the opening or closing of the Olympics, the Olympic torch procession is/was stupid, the London Marathon is the bore of all bores, I've seen enough fireworks to never want to look at one again, the Notting Hill Carnival has to be hyped up beyond belief because no one actually gives a monkey's, Glastonbury is apparently fun if you're there but makes for appalling TV.....
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

At least Phillip had the nouse to "pull a sickie!!
Still keeping the faith!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'd heard it was really difficult to find a flat in London but Cheryl Cole didn't seem to have a problem.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

luckily I was on the bank of the Thames but even then I heard them call the Queen 'Her Royal Highness' and I muttered:"Not Her Royal HIghness, you prat. She's Her Majesty" and was heard by others who nodded assent.

could see two big screens as we were amazed at the celebrity culture on the BBC. didn't recognise most of them either. couldn't face watching it when we got back and am glad we didn't from what I've heard.

was Tuesday any better? went down for that as well

atmosphere terrific for both events.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Like most such events - the main protagonist and Joe Public were great - it was the 'celebrity dross' and the sheer lack of professionalism and adequate English of the commentary that were the problem.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Tigers_Till_I_Die

Post by Tigers_Till_I_Die »

DickyP wrote:Like most such events - the main protagonist and Joe Public were great - it was the 'celebrity dross' and the sheer lack of professionalism and adequate English of the commentary that were the problem.
Yes agree with that. I know she's receiving a fair bit of stick, but Fearne Cotton was really really nauseating,
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Now, now, she would accuse you of bullying for making a comment like that! :smt011

But I don't think she was any worse than the rest (except Hugh whatshisname).

The responsibility lies with the producers, responsible for the dumbing down of the event.
Valhalla I am coming!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Kinoulton wrote:Perhaps down to personal taste. I have no problem with the Royal Family, I like them, and events like the Queen Mother's funeral possessed a balance that only Britain seem able to do.

But long events and cermonies leave me cold. I've never watched the opening or closing of the Olympics, the Olympic torch procession is/was stupid, the London Marathon is the bore of all bores, I've seen enough fireworks to never want to look at one again, the Notting Hill Carnival has to be hyped up beyond belief because no one actually gives a monkey's, Glastonbury is apparently fun if you're there but makes for appalling TV.....
I was in consensus with the postings on this thread, especially re the Olympic torch procession but H came home from school with the news that the torch had come in to school and everybody in his class had got to hold it. It's not often he communicates about school (or anything) so this obviously had made an impression on him and the voluntary disclosure was much appreciated. He hadn't paid sufficient attention to know who was carrying the torch at the time though.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think the starter of this thread was referring to the way TV tries to transfer that massive high from "being there" and so often fails.

My mate was at the Rugby World Cup Final in South Africa when the big jet flew very low over the stadium and said that everyone in the crowd caught their breath in wonder.

But TV failed to convey anything like its true impact.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!