The ever infuriating Inland Revenue

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

The ever infuriating Inland Revenue

Post by kpb »

Does anyone else ever have problems trying to speak to someone at the Inland Revenue?!

Twenty six minutes I was on hold for,and then I get told that due to high call volume I need to ring back later :smt013 :smt013
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: The ever infuriating Inland Revenue

Post by DickyP »

Have sometimes had problems but usually get through in less than a couple of minutes - start ringing about 0830.

More importantly if you are trying to get advice and you are worried that you'll 'get it wrong' write to them explaining the problem in detail, explain that you've been unable to contact them by telephone listing the days/times you tried, and explain that you are unable to take any further action until you receive clear instructions from them. Ensure the letter is dated, has a reference and send it recorded delivery. I also put that I have searched for advice in their publications and web site abut owing to the opaque nature of their information I have been unable to understand what to do.

If they have sent you a letter etc refer to it in your letter by its reference and date and explain that it was unclear and/or contradictory and that you need further, clear advice.

I always write any way even if I have a conversation on the phone quoting the details of the conversation and advice, noting to whom I spoke and at what time and date. This is working to Sam Goldwyn's maxim that "a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on!".

My experience is that quoting a documented paper trail with times, dates and names works wonders when they try and bully you when they later dispute previous communications.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Totally agree, DickyP.

must also add that HMRC were incredibly helpful when I was doing the inheritance tax on my mother's estate. answered all my questions promptly and with charm. Amazing but true!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I deal with HMRC regularly for part of my job - stamp duty land tax department. The people are always helpful and whilst it does sometimes take a while to get through, they usually sort any difficulties.

The website does seems to fall over a lot though.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

I am not saying that they are not helpful, in fact when I do eventually get through they are always very polite and give me all the information which is needed.

My gripe is the length of time it takes to get through to someone,just going through the selection service alone took me 4 minutes.They must have call centres all over the UK? This time of year is always busy for the Inland Revenue so surely provisions should be made?
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

I stopped being self employed six years ago.For the past four years i have been sent notice that i have been fined 100 pounds for late submission of my self assessment forms. Four times i have phoned and explained my situation and have been told the fine has been quashed and my file altered. And still they come :smt017
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

They regularly ask my wife about her self-employed income - she ceased being self-employed in the 1980s!

And as people have noted above they are usually quite helpful when you get to talk to them.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."