Tiger Cubs

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Tiger Cubs

Post by RugbyTiger »

What age do you think is ideal to start taking a young child to a game of rugby ? I have a very well behaved 5 year old grandson - who has a tiger shirt and went to the Tigers in the Park and loved every minute. Do you think he is too young to go to a match with us at Welford Road ? He will be nearly 6 by the time the new season starts
Carole

A REAL RUGBY TIGER IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE !!

ALSO KNOWN AS DORCAS - PART OF THE MOTHERS GANG SO WATCH OUT LADS !!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Tiger Cubs

Post by h's dad »

Response to your question has been a little muted so here’s my limited input:

Watching? He can be playing with his local mini and junior section. He can train as an under six and as soon as he’s six he can start playing competitive tag matches.

Although there are exceptions, in my experience very few kids that age can sit or stand and watch a full game of rugby (some of H’s rugby playing mates still can’t at 15) so if you must take him I would suggest starting at a lower level of rugby (or ground at least) where he can play with a ball on the next pitch or field. If it has to be Welford Road, think about a lower attendance match such as an A league game where he can have some space without being a pain to others. Only take him if he wants to go.

Of course, he might be enthralled and pay full attention and soak it all up. H did but he’s a rugby geek.

Let us know how you get on but get him playing rather than watching.

Just my thoughts as a particularly bad parent :smt003
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I agree with H's dad.

He could easily be old enough at 6.

At WR you will need to consider whether the Terrace or a seat would be best, but remember the Terrace etiquette!

If it doesn't work, be prepared to leave, both for your sake, and for the benefit of others if he gets disruptive. However, whilst on the Terrace, we stood for a number of seasons with children who were really involved and loved it, but with the occasional badly behaved, disruptive brats.

Give it a go!
Valhalla I am coming!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I took my nephew to his first Tigers game at the age of 5 and we stood on the terrace. He was well behaved an thoroughly enjoyed the game.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RugbyTiger »

Thanks for the advice. He is a junior member of Tigers - since he was born and he does show an interest in Rugby so I just wondered if any of you thought I might be mad taking him when we go.
Carole

A REAL RUGBY TIGER IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE !!

ALSO KNOWN AS DORCAS - PART OF THE MOTHERS GANG SO WATCH OUT LADS !!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

My daughter went to her first game when she was about two and a half. she spent the entire time picking up little bits of gravel off the concrete in front of the old stand and throwing them at, or over, the barrier. I spent the entire time watching her & trying to stop her running off or throwing gravel.

5 is probably old enough in my opinion.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Dibble
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Dibble »

My 4 year old has just rang me almost wetting himself with excitement because I had our tickets for the Nottingham pre-season game addressed to him! I can't wait to see his little face light up when all the noise starts!

That said I've been at games with my nephew at this age on the terrace and wouldn't choose to do it again. So this time I've got seats in the A&L near a gangway so if he plays up, needs a wee or any of the other million and one reasons he can come up with to disturb other peoples viewing, I can whisk him away sharpish.

Fingers crossed (and a big bag of sweets for assistance) this won't be necessary but as already mentioned I think you have to be prepared to not see the game through.
There are 3 types of people.
Those who count and those who can't.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Try taking the young'un to the Notts friendly. The tickets are cheap and they'll be a decent crowd with the added incentive that people are likely to be more relaxed as it's a friendly so limited chance of annoying anyone.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

My son was 5 years old when he went to his first match, daughter was probably 6.
Really it just whether you think he will get through the game. I wasn't sure if Lewis would manage to sit through the game but the atmosphere, noise and players being so close just had him glued straight from kick off.

Take him, i reckon he will love it! :smt001
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"