Hands up....

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Hands up....

Post by Rizzo »

who's been panic-buying?

and were you buying pasties, stamps or fuel?
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Hands up....

Post by BJ. »

FUEL - I admit to filling up my car this morning even though I still had just over half a tank left. However it's my turn to drive to the match tomorrow and I have a couple of trips around the county planned for the weekend.

STAMPS - if I use one a month I'm doing well. The vast majority of my correspondence is electronic.

PASTIES - I am rather partial to them but I have resisted the urge to stockpile.

So, have I been panic-buying? I think the answer is no. I leave that to the brain-dead morons out there who adopt the herd mentality and believe everything they're told by the press.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I went to a garage because genuinely my car was running on fresh air, and oh Christ it was full of people squeezing a gallon into a car that was clearly already nearly full, filling up jam jars with unleaded, getting their kids to drink down petrol so they could gob it up later....
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
chris4xy

Post by chris4xy »

No, but my wife is panic drinking the home brew :smt003
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Local supermarket petrol station has had queues all day. A friend in Nottingham tells me that most of the filling stations on her way home had signs up saying they had no fuel.
The girl in the post office nearest me said they were running low on 2nd class stamps as lots of elderly people were buying 100 at a time.
My car has 2/3 of a tank and as I can't drive very far anyway at the moment, I shan't be needing to fill up.

Isn't it amazing though how large sections of the public go mad and panic-buy at the slightest hint of a potential shortage? I can remember a sugar shortage when I was a kid and my grandmother buying 6 bags of sugar (which was all they were allowed to buy) despite the fact that she used low calorine artificial sweetener!

Yet the same people will see the news reports and media coverage of potential water shortages, low river and reservoir levels etc, and will still wash their cars twice a week with a hosepipe, have huge bathtubs filled with water they don't try and re-use, and leave taps etc running while washing hands or brushing teeth.

Mind you, they say in the paper that we might get sleet and snow by next weekend, maybe I'd better go and see if I can stock up on de-icer and snow shovels... :smt002
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Rizzo wrote:Mind you, they say in the paper that we might get sleet and snow by next weekend, maybe I'd better go and see if I can stock up on de-icer and snow shovels... :smt002
That's not a bad idea. I must have at least 20 kgs of salt in the shed ready for the snow and ice. I buy it during the summer months and then stand back and watch people run round like headless chickens trying to buy it later in the year when the bad weather comes.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

You're going to trigger off my salt/grit rant now.

Right outside my house is a very narrow bridge situated on a kink in the road and becomes almost unnavigable in icy conditions. It nearly killed two people last year, in so far as their car missed the bridge entirely and crashed 20 feet into the dyke.

My request to the council for a grit bin was met with possibly the most moronic repsonse ever.

"Is it near a bus stop?" Of course not you tw*t, no bus has been down here since you privatised the bus service.

"Is it near a school?" School! That's something we remember from the days before you closed them all.

"I'm sorry sir but you don't qualify."

Our customers have now taken to filling up buckets with grit they've stolen from other grit bins and spreading it on the bridge.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Last edited by Kinoulton on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

We're in New Zealand at the moment, so can you please sort out all this stuff before we get home at the end of April! Is it serious or should I start worrying :smt001
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

nice investment stamps- buy them now at current price and when prices increase you have a rather nice profit. I'm sure you could realise this somehow rather than just post letters with it
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

According to today's Daily Torygraph (so it must be true!) it'll be at least 11 days before the tanker drivers can go on strike. Therefore, all those brain-dead numpties who have gone into panic meltdown will most likely have used all their current fuel by the time there might be a shortage.

As I keep saying, never underestimate the stupidity of the vast majority of the Great British public.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Must admit I buy my stamps on-line, in bulk and have done ever since the Royal mail started doing them.

Given that I've currently got 20 pre-stamped envelopes, 155 x 1st class and 56 x 2nd class I reckon I've saved a few quid!

Petrol was/is a pain: I had to fill up yesterday as I was less than half full, and going to be doing a 120 mile round trip and then 80 miles round trip to Tigers tonight. Took me best part of half an hour to get filled up in Lincoln.

As for pasties - always make my own - much cheaper and (though I say it myself) much, much better.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

May be the club should issue a statement to the fact that there is likely to be a shortage in Tigers shirts (excluding platinum, no one would believe them)and wait for the shop to be overrun with electronic orders and supporters later tonight desperate to get one before stock levels fall to a dangerously low level! :smt002
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Hull Fan wrote:May be the club should issue a statement to the fact that there is likely to be a shortage in Tigers shirts (excluding platinum, no one would believe them)and wait for the shop to be overrun with electronic orders and supporters later tonight desperate to get one before stock levels fall to a dangerously low level! :smt002
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Thanks a lot for that, pal. I'm now swabbing down my monitor as I had a mouthful of coffee when I read your comment.

You shouldn't laugh but I refer you to the comment I made about stupidity earlier. Read this.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Fuel strike now apparently ruled out over Easter.

Wonder if that will stop the panic-people?
Demelza - another Mother
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

BJ. wrote:
Hull Fan wrote:May be the club should issue a statement to the fact that there is likely to be a shortage in Tigers shirts (excluding platinum, no one would believe them)and wait for the shop to be overrun with electronic orders and supporters later tonight desperate to get one before stock levels fall to a dangerously low level! :smt002
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Thanks a lot for that, pal. I'm now swabbing down my monitor as I had a mouthful of coffee when I read your comment.

You shouldn't laugh but I refer you to the comment I made about stupidity earlier. Read this.
At least they remembered the number 9 9 9. :smt002
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"