Things that Annoy You

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: Things that Annoy You

Post by DickyP »

In Germany they complain that BMWs and Mercs think they have 'eingebauter Vorfahrt' - built-in right-of-way! It's not just us who have prats!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Old Tight Head
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Old Tight Head »

Should of...
Could of...
Would of...

And it's railway station, not train station! :smt013
Cut me and I bleed red, green and white...
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

DickyP wrote:Been proof reading school reports this morning - so far I've had:

'Anty' when meant 'ante' (not even a real mistaken word 'anti').
'Thrown' when meant to use 'throne'.
'Alley' when meant to use 'ally'.

I really get peeved when people don't check their work when necessary. It's one thing to write rubbish on a forum like this - it matters little, and the worst you'll get is a little light-hearted derision - but when it puts you whole professional ability and the good name of your organization in question I'm baffled that people can't be bothered!
I'm with you 100%, but do you mean "your whole professional ability" and not "you whole professional ability" :smt002 sorry, couldn't resist.......just a little light hearted...etc etc, i'll get my coat :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I don't mind these errors of English so long as when they are pointed out, the erring person doesn't rise up like an angry rattle snake and tell you to "get a life".

I've been on the end of two corrections this week, one for using disinterested instead of uniterested (the differences are subtle but legally very important), and again for making the common mistake of saying "laughed like a drain", when the true saying is "laughed like a dray".

I was genuinely grateful that my use of English took a step forward, and me the bloke what put me right ended up having some good banter. Why get miffed about it?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
DickyP wrote:Been proof reading school reports this morning - so far I've had:

'Anty' when meant 'ante' (not even a real mistaken word 'anti').
'Thrown' when meant to use 'throne'.
'Alley' when meant to use 'ally'.

I really get peeved when people don't check their work when necessary. It's one thing to write rubbish on a forum like this - it matters little, and the worst you'll get is a little light-hearted derision - but when it puts you whole professional ability and the good name of your organization in question I'm baffled that people can't be bothered!
I'm with you 100%, but do you mean "your whole professional ability" and not "you whole professional ability" :smt002 sorry, couldn't resist.......just a little light hearted...etc etc, i'll get my coat :smt023
I will claim that that I'm merely encouraging the 'light-hearted-derision' and quietly ignore the fact that I got it wrong - as I said the importance depends on the circumstances.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Kinoulton wrote:I don't mind these errors of English so long as when they are pointed out, the erring person doesn't rise up like an angry rattle snake and tell you to "get a life".....
Ditto - of course, I didn't help in my latest foray that when the recipient virtually screamed "are you questioning my professional competence?" when being shown several such mistakes, that I answered "YES - how much more proof do you need?". Perhaps not the most politic answer even if correct. :smt047
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

DickyP wrote:I will claim that that I'm merely encouraging the 'light-hearted-derision' and quietly ignore the fact that I got it wrong - as I said the importance depends on the circumstances.
Of course it does, and very well 'saved' :smt002 - as I said, it was nothing personal, just chomped at the "dangled carrot" (knowingly) :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.