Things that Annoy You

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: Things that Annoy You

Post by DickyP »

On similar lines I hate it when the TV reports use "epidemic" when they mean "pandemic", and the overuse of the word "critical" and even more the expression "a matter of life and death".

On the latter two it bugs me when winning or losing a rugby games are described by them - I may be a dyed-in-the wool Tigers supporter who makes his wife's life a misery by moping when we lose but it's still just a game. "Critical" is surgeons trying to save your life on the operating table and similar, and "life and death" is being shot at in Helmand or firemen risking everything to save lives and similar.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

DickyP wrote:On similar lines I hate it when the TV reports use "epidemic" when they mean "pandemic", and the overuse of the word "critical" and even more the expression "a matter of life and death".
Alas this is the world we now live in where straightforward news reporting simply isn't enough to hold the attention of the average human being. Everything has to be over-sensationalised to the nth degree. May I refer you back to my oft-quoted gripe about the use of the word 'absolutely' when all that is meant is a simple 'yes'?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Wogan used to have a regular rant on his R2 morning programme about presenters, newscasters, weather reporters and traffic people, who seemed incapable of receiving the talking stick without saying to their colleagues "Thank you soooooooo much."

He, Boggy Marsh and Alan Deadlycoat would often spend the morning taking the Mick, and would keep over exaggerating saying "thank you soooooo much, Boggy".

I guess you have to be Wogan to pull this off, but it did demonstrate what an unnecessary bit of fluff it really is.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Reminds me of the "I've told you a million times - don't exaggerate!".

I'd love to be able to blame all these exaggerations/over-hyping on being a modern trend, or bad education today etc, but unfortunately supposedly mature, educated people are equally to blame.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

People with bees in their bonnet about a subject posting their beef on as many threads as possible, relevant or not.

To my shame, I plead guilty to this in the past.
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

You've reminded me of the greatest of all overstatements when the funny Sid Waddell, commenting on a darts match, said "That's the greatest comeback since Lazarus!"

(Off thread, he also said: "As giraffes always say, if you don't stick your neck out, you don't get no leaves.")
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Having just arrived home from my weekly excitement - the trip to the supermarket, I've remembered two other things that truly annoy me. Both are habits mostly typical of ladies of a 'certain age' - they do occur in males but seldom.

Firstly the habit of going up escalators, reaching the top and stopping dead in front of a queue of others (and then getting shirty when asked to move).

Secondly, groups who obviously regard grocery shopping as a social activity who congregate for discussion circles in the narrowest, busiest thoroughfares blocking them completely with an impromptu trolley park (and also get huffy when asked to move!).
:argue:
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

DickyP wrote:Secondly, groups who obviously regard grocery shopping as a social activity who congregate for discussion circles in the narrowest, busiest thoroughfares blocking them completely with an impromptu trolley park (and also get huffy when asked to move!).
A slight variation on this is people leaving their trolleys in the middle of an aisle and then wandering off to look for items. I must confess when I come across one of these abandoned trolleys I will move it to the adjacent aisle and then stand back to enjoy watching the panic of the person when they return to where they think they left their groceries.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

DickyP wrote:Having just arrived home from my weekly excitement - the trip to the supermarket, I've remembered two other things that truly annoy me. Both are habits mostly typical of ladies of a 'certain age' - they do occur in males but seldom.

Firstly the habit of going up escalators, reaching the top and stopping dead in front of a queue of others (and then getting shirty when asked to move).

Secondly, groups who obviously regard grocery shopping as a social activity who congregate for discussion circles in the narrowest, busiest thoroughfares blocking them completely with an impromptu trolley park (and also get huffy when asked to move!).
I suppose I might fall into the category of "ladies of a certain age" but I can assure you I don't do either of the above. In fact when anyone of any age blocks my way into the store or wherever, they get a sharp and abrupt "excuse me PLEASE!" followed by me shoving their trolley out of the way.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Similarly to people who treat supermarket or DIY shopping as some kind of playtime, I have spent years thundering up and down motorways, stopping begrudgingly at motorway service areas to pay over odds for petrol, a gruesome pie, some water that's probably never even seen Buxton, then have a wazz, and get out of the God forsaken place asap.

But their are people in there who are milling around mindlessly treating it as part of their holiday. You can see from the writing on the coaches that spat them out, that they are on their way to Scotland, France, or some other idyllic spot, yet they prefer to while away an hour studying bags of horrible sweets at Watford Gap whilst their coach driver has his engine running and is drumming his steering wheel wondering what the heck his passengers have found to do in there.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

All those women in supermarkets who are amazed that they have to pay. They've packed their shopping and are now looking for a bag; in the bag, somewhere, is a purse, in the purse is a card - or should I use cash? - no, a card. Oh and I've got some vouchers here, somewhere, from Idiots weekly that I think are valid...

Gawd me asparagus has wilted just thinking about it.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

.. and the ones (again normally, but not exclusively, female) who wait in a queue to pay for parking and only after they've put their card into the machine think to start looking for their money! There are normally huge notices with the tariff so there's no reason not to be ready with the correct money.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

At the little mini markets like Spar, Costcutter etc there is normally limited parking. But they attract customers whose legs clearly cannot complete more than a 5 yard walk.

There are builders in white vans, young salesmen in suits, fit young mothers in hatchbacks, who clearly need to mount the pavement with their vehicle, straddling double yellow lines right outside the shop door, preventing busses from getting through, because clearly having to park 20 yards away in a designated space would be an afront to their all important status.

I have no doubt that most of these drivers pay enormous amounts to keep fit at some posh gym, yet it is still necessary for them to park about 20 feet from the shop counter with no concern for anyone.

The local police and the East Riding bus company are going aboslutely nuts about this misbehavious and they have said quite clearly that if it doesn't change, then the busses will stop running.

But the idle b*st*rd drivers have not changed their selfish behaviour at all.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Having seen it in The Telegraph, the Independent, The Express and The Rugby paper today:

"bored of"

:smt013 :smt013

bad enough when kids say it but "professional" journalists writing it!!!
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I hate it when people make rash accusations while not knowing what they are talking about.