Things that Annoy You

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tonbridgetiger

Things that Annoy You

Post by tonbridgetiger »

Not meaning to offend anyone that does wear an anorak, but the anorak people themselves I find at least a bit annoying or even sad.

You know the types, who must go to every football ground in the country, Europe etc. (I actually know someone who is obsessive about seeing every English, Scottish and European and other ground).

These people also generally seem to get membership for each club and claim they support them so they get to a particular game and then move onto the next membership so they can latch onto the next club, to do the same thing etc.. Get my drift?

Also people obsessive about collecting every ticket, programme etc on ebay.

Or, changing tack slightly, the ones who go to every Doctor Who convention to get each autograph etc..

The train spotters are more weirdos to me.

Do you have the same feelings about those sort of people?

Also, bad manners and ignorance annoys me too.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Things that Annoy You

Post by BJ. »

Although I have a season ticket at Welford Road, I've registered with the rest of the Premiership clubs. I've done this purely to try and get better seat tickets for when these clubs host the Tigers. I have no problems with the 'anorak' people as long as they don't try to involve me in their obsessions. If somebody wants to visit every football ground in the country that's fine but don't expect me to finance their travelling.

Bad manners and ignorance are a different matter. At the moment, my main bugbears are:

1. People who will not take no for an answer. My first reply will be a polite 'No thank you'; my second will be a firm 'No' and my third will be a loud 'Which part of the 2-letter word NO are you having problems understanding?'

2. Salespeople, usually in coffee shops or on the check out in a supermarket. When I go into a coffee shop, the conversation goes along the lines of:

Me: Just the coffee, please.
Them: Would you like a Danish/cookie/muffin with that?
Me: Did I ask for any of those?
Them: No.
Me: It looks like you've answered your own question!

In supermarkets it's the same but I'm always asked if I want postage stamps.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
tonbridgetiger

Post by tonbridgetiger »

I think what you are doing is a good idea B.J., and as it gives you better seats when those clubs host Tigers it helps you. But I find a lot of these anoraks are either very obsessed and/or have some ego mission. The trouble is the anorak I know tries to get and does involve one or two people in his obsession and gets them to stump up a lot of money to help fuel his obsession.

Agree with your main bugbears and I hate slow service and also when sales assistants chat to someone when there is a queue behind. It slows you and the people behind you up and I end up going to another queue or taking the stuff back. Although you can't do that in a station cafe. You just run the risk of missing the train by being still in the queue.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Add to the list people who gripe about anoraks! :smt003 :smt003

I find most of them are pretty harmless and tend to be solitary. Have never suffered from being tried to be included into their obsessions by them: actually when you think about it we Tigers fans are just another bunch of anoraks.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I phone people every day, in considerable numbers, to talk to them about sometimes quite technical jobs.

I don't think I'm abnormal in that I first explain why I'm calling (a person has applied for a Systems Architect role and left me this number) and THEN having established that I've got the right person I will (if necessary) ask them how to pronounce their name and how they like to be addressed. Simple. The candidate, who might be called "Nasos Papergeorgiou" will explain how to pronounce his full name and will then often come out with something unexpected like "call me Taff". Dead simple.

I then go on to explain the job description, which may contian technical words like Linux, SAP, CICS, VoIP, LLU, and again not surprisingly I will have researched the pronunciation of these words.

So after making around 25 outgoing calls during the day, I do not appreciate being having my precious evening time interrupted by someone squawking down my home phone: "Missserr Levverrrerrrson! Am I speaking to person who pay for Errecctrissery?"

If you're trying to sell me something, I don't care if you're from Beijing or Birmingham, but for gawd's sake learn to pronounce the thing you're selling, and then take a bit of care over people's names.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Oh TT I love anoraks :smt003 I always like it when people have a passion - the only thing I don't like is when they say "another interesting thing" when the first interesting thing had you searching for something to hang yourself from.

With you on the phone calls Kin, and even more annoying, the recorded message sales phone call!

At the moment top bug bear is "Premeering June Four"

What?

I moved back to the UK from the states to get away from Premeering June Four. Don't follow me.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Lazy people at work!!!!!!
I don't care what you are like in your own time If you want to leave everything till the last minute at home fine, I quite often do to. However when you are working I like things done now! I don't think that is unresonable. It does my head in and I can't stand it, and one of the worst people for doing it is one of my supervisors. Also people doing pointless stuff and trying to get you to do pointless stuff. I work at a bingo hall and on our electronic bingo boards if you win the money goes on the board and you can take it out if you want or play games on your board or you can leave it on untill the next time you come. My supervisor every win she will put it in an envelope and staple a peice of paper with the amount of money in and the name of the person onto the envelope, I do that for big wins ie £500 and I dont staple the name on If there are 5 x £500 envelopes it doesnt matter which one they get aslong as they get the prizemoney. But my supervisor will do this if they win £5 and then have to phaff around with the envelope when they come to collect the money when she realises they have spent half of it or said can you leave some money on. It winds me up as just being pointless and then wasting time!!!

Rant over
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Similar to Mr Bean's rant, sometime's I'll try and inject a bit of levity in the day's working proceedings, which is well received by my gaffer and most of the other Regional Directors around the UK, but there's always a couple of self-righteous moaning minnies who will blub: "Well it's all right for you to muck about but I've got work to do."

This invariably is a retort from the worst performing, least competent, clueless people who couldn't win an a**e-kicking competition against a one legged opponent.

If po-faced, scatty, permanently harassed paper shufflers can't enjoy a bit of camararderie at work and still get their job done then they are inefficient, lack strategy and lack competence.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I'm in the 'happy' position of no longer being at work - not out of choice - and can now smile looking back on behaviour described above.

It was always a self-evident truth to me when I was working that the people who moaned most about having too much to do were those who spent all their time talking and never actually got round to doing anything. Similarly the ones who most often complained of stress weren't those with most work to do, but those who didn't do the work they should have done and were therefore stressed about not having done it: the real workers never actually had time to be stressed. It was always the same people who arrived at work exactly at start time and were out of the door the second they'd done their exact hours: this of course meant that they often left a job part done where another 5 minutes would have finished it, but where re-staring the next day meant it took them another hours work after getting back to where they'd been. No wonder they were stressed.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Dicky P, that brings me to another facet of office behaviour that banjaxes me.

There are those people who, like you say, arrive dead on time or late, always blaming some traffic problem which they alone hadn't anticipated, like the M1 being a bit busy. Then they religiously take their one hour lunch break by assertively leaving their desk and moving to another place even though they appear to have nothing to do, and then they are preparing their homeward journey at least 5 minutes before they're actually due to knock off.

Yet I was always at work for 7:30, not trying to be a martyr, just pragmatic, never took a lunch break unless something really good was happening, and left at a sufficiently decent time so as not to neglect the family, but hardly ever "on time".

But every time any of us would dash off at lunchtime for a run, a session in the gym, or a game of 5-a-side then you could guarantee that on our return we would be greeted by all the work-to-rule idlers saying "Oh it's OK for you to have 90 minutes for lunch is it?"
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I know there's the big divide on the forum between those with standards and those without but after seeing the third instance of definatley today I just had to comment.

I get annoyed by people who are too lazy to use a spell checker - it doesn't even look right and it's not even how people pronounce it.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I'm not so horrified by people spelling something incorrectly when they have simply unwittingly got it wrong.

It's when they can't be bothered. CU L8R, XMAS and M8. drive me nuts.

Our language is not as beautiful as Frnech or Italian, but it's OK. And it's a good skill to muck about with it with bits like "Is you is or is you ain't my baby?"

But to just dismiss the language entirely and say "That's reem" makes me want to kill people.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

1. The three-word advertising message. For example, one of the Sky Sports News programmes is called First Fast Now. Recently, I bought a pasty from a certain well-known high street shop. On the packaging in quite large letters was the three-word message Heat, Eat, Enjoy. What else am I expected to do with it?

2. The morons who write the autocue for TV presenters/newsreaders and still think it is amusing to talk in alliterations all the time. For example, as might be heard on my local radio, 'Now we're going to discuss crazy people in the county. So if you're mad in Matlock, barking in Belper or just dotty in Derby, give me a call.'
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Kinoulton wrote:... Our language is not as beautiful as Frnech ....
Have to disagree with you there Kinoulton - French is quite one of the ugliest languages in the world. Matter of taste, of course, so I don't expect you to agree.

And also, of course, there is French and French in the same way as there is English and English - different accents make a world of difference. Just think of some of the imaginary conversations/misunderstandings between Geordies and hill billies from West Virginia. I'm told by my colleagues that it'd be even worse if you listened to a conversation between Swiss and Canadian French speakers.

I agree that English can be really fun to play with.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

In no other language can you "pun" as you can in English. In French it is particularly difficult.

Spelling is fun if you really want to confuse foreigners and the ill-educated (Americans:smt002).
Valhalla I am coming!