Why are some people so thick?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Why are some people so thick?

Post by BJ. »

From the Torygraph

Evidently some cinemagoers have demanded refunds because the film has no dialogue!
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: Why are some people so thick?

Post by DickyP »

... and you are surprised by this? :smt047 It's only the same as all the bad ratings on Amazon because buyers have bought Region 1 DVDs which don't play on their DVD Players and because they didn't realize that a book by a known adult author was aimed at a teenage market when the description makes it abundantly clear.

My only surprise about the film is that there are no reports of complaints because it's not in colour!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
chris4xy

Post by chris4xy »

And if cinemagoers are guests why do they need a refund? As guests they were presumably invited to the showing and not expected to pay. :smt001
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Surely before you go to see a film you know SOMETHING about it?

Although a good 40 years ago I did go with my mates to see Pictures At An Exhibition which was a performance by Nice of their album of that name.

An old lady near us put up with about 5 minutes of Keith Emerson jamming knives into his Synth before showing her ticket to the usher who pointed out that she would not literally be seeing an exhibition of pictures in this film.

She left.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Kinoulton wrote:Although a good 40 years ago I did go with my mates to see Pictures At An Exhibition which was a performance by Nice of their album of that name.
The Nice? Surely you mean Emerson, Lake & Palmer, old boy? :smt017
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

After sitting in a theatre watching the final scenes of Jesus Christ Superstar, and hearing a girl of around 9 sitting behind me say to her mother "oh, does he..like...get away in the end then?" I have given up on some elements who attend theatre and cinema.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

BJ. wrote:
Kinoulton wrote:Although a good 40 years ago I did go with my mates to see Pictures At An Exhibition which was a performance by Nice of their album of that name.
The Nice? Surely you mean Emerson, Lake & Palmer, old boy? :smt017
Dag Nabbit! You're right. Ironically I saw him with Emerson Lake and Palmer at the IoW Festival just after Nice split up, so I shouldn't have got that wrong.

Similar to Rizzo's tale, one of my "friends" on facebook made herself look stupid in front of a huge population by posting "OMG, how thick is my mum? She thought Jesus was a Jew! lol, pmsl, rofl."
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

It's back to "when all else fails read the instructions": unfortunately there are some activities where this doesn't work too well. As a RN friend of mine pointed out - "in submarines you don't make the same mistake once".
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I followed the instructions to the letter when I installed my BT Broadband pack. The BT splitter went into the BT socket, the radio thing on my desk blinked its lights, the phone was plugged into one half of the splitter.

However, the Broadband speed was absolutely chronic. BT were not surprised, as we are at the end of a branch line which branches off to various other locations. So basically, once thousands of school kids from Hull to Beverley have woken up to sign onto Facebook then we are left with a trickle of straggling bytes that haven't been used up yet.

Kingston Communications and BT checked various junction boxes and blamed each other.

Finally BT sent a dullard round who, to be fair, ripped open the BT box on the wall and said: "Yeah, this already has a splitter in it. By putting in another splitter, you've halved the signal."

I waved the instructions at him and said "Where does it say that?"

He ignored my complaint and said "I'm afraid you'll be charged £150 for this visit because it's due to your equipment which you installed."

"Eh? It's BT equipment supplied by BT to whom I paid good money."

"Nah, you installed it."

"I got rid of the thicko, received a £150 bill, argued the toss with various call-centre dumbos, one of whom finally called over her supervisor who said calmly, they can't charge him for that, organise a credit note to cancel out the payment."

Woo-hoo! I'd found the only living brain in BT.
Eon

Post by Eon »

Statistics.

In order for some people, like thee and me, to be above average some of the other lot must be thick. Treat them kindly.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

This isn't specifically an example of someone being thick; it's someone being thick, inconsiderate and nimbyish and it happened at yesterday's match.

At half-time, a woman who sits four rows behind us somehow managed to break her vacuum flask whilst it was still in her bag. The man who sits next to her decided to help by getting rid of the broken pieces and liquid. So what did he do? Did he take the bag to the toilets, drain off the liquid and then empty the pieces of the flask into one of the bins? No. He walked down a couple of steps and poured the liquid on to the floor under the seat directly behind me! This of course meant, thanks to the downward slope of the steps in the Cat Stand and good old gravity, said liquid promptly flowed down and started pooling under my seat and spreading sideways towards my wife's seat under which she keeps her bag during the match. When I asked him why he'd done it, he appeared offended that anyone had had the nerve to query his actions and his token gesture at remedying the situation was to fetch a small piece of paper from the toilets and put it under my seat in the hope it would soak up all the liquid.

His actions were comparable to, for example, if your dog took a dump in your back garden all you did was flick the poo over the fence into your neighbour's garden rather than picking it up and walking a few extra yards to put it in your bin. If this inconsiderate idiot accidentally broke a bottle of wine at the table whilst dining at home, would he walk a couple of yards and pour the remnants on his lounge carpet rather than walk into the kitchen and pour it down the sink? Somehow I don’t think it would be the former. His attitude yesterday was clearly ‘it’s someone else’s problem now.'
Last edited by BJ. on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Our yard is horse and dog friendly, hence we don't encourage glass containers, especially for kids.

However, there is always one little oik who will demand a "proper glass", mother gives in and tells it to be carefull, but inevitably its flailing arms cause the glass to fly across the ground and shatter into a million pieces.

Whilst everyone leaps into action to ward off inquisitive dogs and children, sweep up the glass and look for those random bits that end up in impossible places. the mother, who caused the accident by giving birth to the s*d and letting it have glass, invariably never moves!

Content to see everyone else clearing up her brat's mess she will calm it down and say "it wasn't your fault".

Well it damned well was, woman. And if you'll hand the child over to me, I have a sack, plenty of bricks, and the River Hull is just over there.
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

There are a couple of members of my household who seem to think that putting things NEAR a bin is as much effort as is needed. This was probably just one of them on a day out Beej. I blame the mother/wife :smt003
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Kinoulton wrote:Our yard is horse and dog friendly, hence we don't encourage glass containers, especially for kids.

However, there is always one little oik who will demand a "proper glass", mother gives in and tells it to be carefull, but inevitably its flailing arms cause the glass to fly across the ground and shatter into a million pieces.

Whilst everyone leaps into action to ward off inquisitive dogs and children, sweep up the glass and look for those random bits that end up in impossible places. the mother, who caused the accident by giving birth to the s*d and letting it have glass, invariably never moves!

Content to see everyone else clearing up her brat's mess she will calm it down and say "it wasn't your fault".

Well it damned well was, woman. And if you'll hand the child over to me, I have a sack, plenty of bricks, and the River Hull is just over there.
Please don't go contaminating rivers - just use the little oik as plant food.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

cornish tigress wrote:There are a couple of members of my household who seem to think that putting things NEAR a bin is as much effort as is needed. This was probably just one of them on a day out Beej. I blame the mother/wife :smt003
No commenting on your household but in a similar vein it has amazed me a couple of times at Tigers games where people just walk over and dump their empty tea/coffe paper mugs on the shelves next to the rubbish bins, or on the floor when they are a couple of steps from the bins. In fact I watched one chap who was leaning on such a bin walk 5 meters away from it to put his cup onto one of the shelves rather than just drop it in - bizarre when it was easier to do it right than wrong.
Last edited by DickyP on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.