Football match abandoned after fan attack.

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kingol22
Super User
Super User

Football match abandoned after fan attack.

Post by kingol22 »

A recent Dutch cup game was abandoned after a fan ran on to the pitch and attacked the keeper. The keeper responded by tripping him up and then kicking him whilst on the floor and got a red card. Do people think that a red card was the right decision or should the keeper have been let off?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportv ... vader.html
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: Football match abandoned after fan attack.

Post by Kinoulton »

Definitely should not have been sent off.

If you're patrolling a quiet penalty area when out of the blue some unknown person tries to launch a serious attack on you, then you have nano-second to react, and the keeper's reaction lasted no more than a couple of seconds.

How would I react if some stranger came out of the blue and tried to karate kick me in my lounge, or in the park? In exxactly the same way.

I hope the "fan" gets a very long prison sentence.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I think I heard on BBC Breakfast earlier the Dutch FA has rescinded the red card.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Yes, rightly so.

I remember in those bad old days of the 60s when some bloke jumped over the four foot wall from the Trent End and ran on to the pitch, he found himself trying to dodge 5 or 6 coppers, and in the end ran out of options at which point the biggest copper of the lot gave him the heftiest kick in the nads I've ever witnessed.

To say he went down like a sack of spuds would be an understatement. But of course our thorough constabulary needed to make sure that the miscreant would not come back to attack again, so rendered him harmless with several more kicks and truncheon blows before carrying him off on a stretcher to the meat wagon.

Some bleeding-heart liberal near me had a right go at the coppers for this unacceptable force, but the vast majority of the Trent End thought it was hilarious.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The starting point for sentencing in a criminal court for kicking someone in the head is custody - the damage caused can mean someone spends the rest of their life in a vegitative state and in a wheelchair. (Please, no Daily Mail type "serves 'em right" comments - nobody deserves that).

Was the fact that the keeper was attacked sufficient mitigation, or was his an over reaction? Remember that in a rugby match, retaliation is often punished by a red, or at least a yellow.

The "fan" should receive a lifetime ban, and 3 months.
Valhalla I am coming!