Some advise please.

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

paula123

Some advise please.

Post by paula123 »

My daughter turned 16 in July.She is studying a Diploma in art at Leicester college where she attends 3 days a week.

She has since she turned 16 been actively handing out her CV but with very little response.She has tried the likes of Argos,Iceland,Wilko etc., as they have all been recruiting temps for the Xmas period but still with no joy.I have encouraged her on a daily basis to chase these shops up either by going into the store or contacting them by phone but it is very hard to keep her chin up as she is now at the stage were she thinks that no one wants to employ her.

Everywhere seems to want someone with experience or someone that has customer skills,but how at the age of 16 can any student gain these skills unless someone gives them the 'break' that they need?

I have myself even walked around the City centre with her CV and handed them out to as many places as I could think of,but still she has heard nothing.

Does anyone on the forum have any ideas on what our next move could be??
Castro's no.1 fan!!!
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Some advise please.

Post by me2 »

One suggestion I would make is to re-visit the layout of the CV and see if it is presented in the 'best' format as per the current recruitment trends.

Sometimes what you may believe is the best format (eg the format you last did your CV in X years ago) may not be the style that current recruiters are looking for.

Afterall you want to make sure your daughter's CV doesn't get rejected out of hand.

Secondly, while her job skills may be limited due to her age, try to think of anything outside of work where similar skills have been used in order to give employers something to consider when comparing her to her peers.

Unfortunately it isn't easy to give specifics without seeing the CV to comment though.

I think that generally you are doing the right thing by getting her to chase up on applications. Also, asking for feedback on why she was not successful may be worthwhile. It is almost certainly nothing to do with her but more likely due to the current economic climate meaning that more experienced people are also looking for the same roles & so there is simply less 'casual' work available for people without previous experience.

I agree entirely that it is a vicious circle at the moment as she needs experience but unfortunately nobody is giving her any.

It certainly isn't her fault & fingers crossed someone will give her the break she wants.

In situations like this, sometimes it does require dozens & dozens of CVs to be sent out before you get the one opportunity you need so remind her that she needs to keep at it.

One way she could possibly get useful skills for her CV would be by doing volunteering work. OK, it would almost certainly be unpaid but it would help give her something for her CV, would show commitment & dedication, would also show trust & willingness to work. All of these are useful things in the eyes of employers. Plus it gives her something to occupy her mind & stop her thinking about rejections.

I realise she'd rather get paid work but maybe a period of unpaid work in the interim would lead to paid work in the future?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I agree that offering voluntary work sometimes pays off, if you can get it. My daughter is a 3rd year student and does voluntary work at a theatre on front of house, programmes etc. She has proved herself reliable and efficient and they are now talking of offering her paid work starting in the new year. It's worth a try.

Do please get her to chase up applications and ask for feedback on her CV and why she was rejected - sadly not all businesses or companies will even bother to reply - even if you enclose a prepaid envelope though.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
paula123

Post by paula123 »

I recently sent a email to The Curve theatre enquiring about voluntary work for her and am still awaiting a reply,I had considered enquiring at a Charity shop to see whether or not they may consider letting her help out, even if it was only a Saturday.She offered her services to the Cafe at Gorse Hill City Farm but they don't take on voluntary workers,only in the farm itself(which she did at the age of 10-12).

It can be so frustrating,I know I'm her Mum, but I know how hard working and reliable she is and I just wish that she had the opportunity to prove it.

Recently she had her hopes lifted by the Manageress of The Card factory who said that she is looking for a Sat/Sun worker she spoke to my Daughter on the phone in length and sounded very positive,she promised a phone call before the end of last week but we are still waiting.Now the Manageress despite my Daughters phone calls(constant) is 'unavailable' to speak to.
Castro's no.1 fan!!!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Both my young ones got nowhere with the big companies, and just handing in cvs. They just get too many. But both had luck by either going into smaller independents and chatting up the staff there and leaving a phone number. Or going into supermarkets or large chains but instead of just shyly leaving a cv which would get filed, instead they would chat up a staff member and say how much they would love working in their department and really show an interest in the product or skills or whatever. That always massaged the ego of the staff member enough that they would mention it to their superior and they would invite them in for an interview. Nothing better than a keen and ballsy employee. Try the counters no one wants to work on, like the fish counter at a supermarket. If you sound keen enough I'm sure you've got a chance. Especially before Christmas.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Hi Paula

My daughter works for a Recruitment Agency in Leicester, and has come across a lot of people in the same situation. The best thing to do is to do work experience - perhaps Connexions or Leicester Business Employment Consortium (LEBC) may be able to help. There is a lot of sales and field sales work around - this would give her customer service experience, a reference and a thick skin!

If you wanted to PM me, my daughter may be able to offer some assistance with her CV.

Hope this helps
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
tigerttart

Post by tigerttart »

I work with people developing their CVs. You have to make your CV stand out from the rest. Even without experience you have to show what you are capable of. Try a heading 'Achievements' then list any positions you have been elected to; nominated for; selected; volunteered for; things you have done in the past are predictors of the future.

Start the CV with a brief summary of you, e.g. A highly capable and enthusiastic worker with the ability to work effectively within a team. A self motivated, hard working individual with an eye for detail. ....... etc. This should be two or three sentences and make the reader want to read on.

Use active words like: introduced, led, identified ....responsible for....
If listing your hobbies or interests, make them look intelligent so instead of reading, sport and television try: reading biographies and modern fiction or season ticket holder of leading premier rugby club, television social dramas (Eastenders!).

All these things will help. It's always difficult, but the other advice you have been offered is all useful. Finally network like crazy. The first step is the hardest, but there are loads of people who will not try as hard as you! Good luck.
paula123

Post by paula123 »

Thank you everyone for your help and advise,I found it really useful.I have today contacted Loros in Anstey and they are more then happy to allow my Daughter to work in there shop every Wednesday & Saturday which is fantastic news.Although unpaid this will be a great opportunity for her to gain experience and will look fantastic on her CV,and will give her a huge confidence boost.Not only that it will give her an idea what it is like to get up early in the morning for work!!

Thanks again everyone. :smt023
Castro's no.1 fan!!!