King Richard III

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Re: King Richard III

Post by Rizzo »

I find it does make you think, enjoy watching it with my daughter and now my husband has got quite keen on it too, and he doesn't normally watch quiz programmes. There's an element of "how can you not know THAT?!" when it's a subject you know about, but I also find I've learned a bit about things I didn't know about before.

The question about Bon Jovi top ten singles they had a few weeks ago set off a massive discussion amongst my fellow obsessive fans :smt003 it was one where several of my gang were yelling at the screen "no, that was an album track not a single...no, that's not the title..."

The Battles question was good, I was pleased to realise I knew all of them :)
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Rizzo wrote:... The Battles question was good, I was pleased to realise I knew all of them :)
There is such a thing as knowing too much! The only trouble with the historical incidents (they weren't all battles) round was that there were two possible answers for one question: The Defenestration of Prague. You could have had 1419 in the Hussite wars and also 1618 in the Thirty Years war (the one they wanted).
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

My favourite is QI, simply because if you were ever told a fact in history or science and thought: "That sounds like utter sloblocks." Then QI normally proves that it is.

Marie Antoinette never said "let them eat cake."

"Kismet Hardy" was a preposterously made up saying.

You ARE more likely to catch a cold if you get cold.

And no matter who many grillions of Chinese people jump up and down on the Isle of Wight or anywhere else, nothing will happen.

We sort of know this as soon as we hear the ridiculous thing, but it's nice to hear Stephen Fry telling us that we were right all along.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I really enjoy QI except it does get things wrong occasionally though.

Examples:
1. When doing Germany and Austria he derided the idea noodles in "schnitzel with noodles" from the Sound of Music, whereas that is exactly what they eat with schnitzel in South Germany and Austria (only they call them spätzle and very nice they are too).

2. "I before e except after c" - went to great length to show that it was wrong more often than it is right, whereas the rule should be "I before e except after c, when the sound is e" when it is right almost always and certainly enough to use as a 'rule of thumb'.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I only enjoy QI when there are people other than really dim comedians on it who are actually quite clueless. That Miller chap and Daira O'Brean (sp?) are both physicists and so quite good as is David Mitchell. Having one token plank (Alan Davies)is fine, but when there are four :smt009
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

At the extremes you have Jo Barnd who cn be repetatively dim and seems to deliberately walk straight into obvious bear traps.

At the other extreme are Giles Brandreth (who admittedly is a t*t) and John Sessions who have an unbelievable depth and breadth of knowledge.

But you also need people like Rich Hall who doesn't know much and never hogs the mike, but his grumpy little asides make the programme.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

DickyP wrote:I really enjoy QI except it does get things wrong occasionally though.

Examples:
1. When doing Germany and Austria he derided the idea noodles in "schnitzel with noodles" from the Sound of Music, whereas that is exactly what they eat with schnitzel in South Germany and Austria (only they call them spätzle and very nice they are too).

2. "I before e except after c" - went to great length to show that it was wrong more often than it is right, whereas the rule should be "I before e except after c, when the sound is e" when it is right almost always and certainly enough to use as a 'rule of thumb'.
The "i before e" programme now results in our family yelling "Ceiling!" whenever anyone quotes that rule...
Demelza - another Mother
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Rizzo wrote:
DickyP wrote:I really enjoy QI except it does get things wrong occasionally though.

Examples:

The "i before e" programme now results in our family yelling "Ceiling!" whenever anyone quotes that rule...
Three things: 1) as ceiling fits the rule are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?, 2) do you use the whole rule?, and 3) even the abbreviated rule isn't as bad as as QI said since they just analysed the number of words and not their frequency and usage.

Mind you I much prefer German where 'ei' is pronounced to sound liken'i' and 'ie' as an 'e' sound. Simple and totally consistent.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Just watched Pointless again today: it really is depressing that about 4 times as many people know the names of pubs and cafes in soaps than know European rivers.

Also disqualified "I'm a believer" from the jackpot round as it didn't begin with the word "I". They obviously don't know the accepted rules of elision - certainly in academic and publishing circles elided words count as 2! Both the Oxford Style Guide and Modern English Usage say that elided and hyphenated words such as "I'm" should count as two when assessing numbers of words in passages.

Mind you its their competition so their rules, I suppose.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

But even supposed tough nuts like Jeremy Paxman and Anne Robinson will accept answers from people who have basically got the right idea but slightly the wromg answer. And that's what quiz masters should do unless they are complete a***holes.

I once got "wronged" at Trivial Pursuit because I answered a question with "Cote D'Ivoire" when the answer on the card was "Ivory Coast".

Similarly I was met with a storm of protest when I gave another answer as "Niger", which I prounced correctly as "nee-jare", whilst the other thickies insisted it was "niiiii-ja"!

Nitpicking makes quizzing not worth bothering with, as does giving other teams massive clues when you don't need them. Pointless!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Similar experience:

- when a quiz-master told my wife she was wrong when she gave Donau as an answer and he said she was wrong as his card said Danube. Luckily it was being recorded for radio and the rest of his staff basically told him when he tried to insist "if you want to look like a prat when this is broadcast- go ahead!": he relented.

- and worse when I answered a music question by giving the answer "La Forza del Destino" and was told I was wrong as it was the tune from the Stella Artois advert!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

DickyP wrote: - and worse when I answered a music question by giving the answer "La Forza del Destino" and was told I was wrong as it was the tune from the Stella Artois advert!
That's brilliant!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

DickyP wrote:
Rizzo wrote:

Examples:

Three things: 1) as ceiling fits the rule are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?, 2) do you use the whole rule?, and 3) even the abbreviated rule isn't as bad as as QI said since they just analysed the number of words and not their frequency and usage.

Mind you I much prefer German where 'ei' is pronounced to sound liken'i' and 'ie' as an 'e' sound. Simple and totally consistent.
I was referring to Lee Mack on that particular episode of the QI programme who kept yelling "ceiling" at intervals and winding Stephen Fry up :smt003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vOi5M6GP_Q
Demelza - another Mother