I know I'm confused but ....

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

I know I'm confused but ....

Post by DickyP »

When Manu socked Chris Ashton I was bewildered by comments such as "!if he'd done that on the streets he'd have gone to jail" as I know the courts very well and have regularly seen many much, much worse assaults than than this let off with a mild ticking off even when victims have ended up in comas.

Now we get Murdoch's custard pie attacker getting 6 weeks - yes, I'm confused. For a custard pie??? :smt017 :smt017

Let's face it the assailant was the only one treating the hearing like the absolute farce that actually it was and giving it the respect it was due.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: I know I'm confused but ....

Post by Old Hob »

I could not disagree more. A self-publicist, hoping to boost his non-existent career and get himself in the meeja assaulted an 80 year old man. I hold no brief for R Murdoch but presumably being 80 and giving testimony to sharp MP's (many of whom hate you) on live television is very stressful. Suddenly, from the crowd, a man moves towards you with the intention of attacking you perhaps with a lethal weapon.

The offence was very serious and should have attracted a longer sentence. The fact that it disrupted serious proceedings for a childish publicity stunt aggravates the offence. Six months not weeks.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

The offence wasn't very serious: if you believe that you have a distorted view of reality. I agree there were self-publicists in the room - they're called MPs. Murdoch was answering (or rather not answering) questions being put to him by a self-appointed committee which has no authority to do anything but ask questions and which serves no useful purpose but to hinder ongoing police investigation.

Let's face the real reason Parliament are chasing this telephone bugging hare so hard is not because of its undoubted illegality and seriousness, but because it diverts attention away from their ongoing expenses frailties.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I still believe in the authority of Parliament and if the current crop of MP's are of a lower standard than usual then perhaps that is our fault.

I think the assault on an 80 year old seated man who had his back turned is cowardly and despicable. The fact of who the victim is, is irrelevant. The fact that it took place in Parliament aggravates the offence. There is a need for a deterrent factor here. Assault and causing alarm, harassment and distress; fine and short custodial sentence.

I am surprised Dicky P that you think common assault of octagenarians to be frivolous or even acceptable.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Quite clearly we will continue to disagree on this - I did not say that assault on octogenarians was in any frivolous, merely that the sentence was wildly disproportionate.

However, I can see that this thread is likely to turn into one of those I detest - eg, bad tempered and unmoving, and has the potential to degenerate. It therefore has no place on a Rugby Club forum.

I'd happily continue the debate elsewhere, but apologise for starting the thread here and will now shut up.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I respect Old Hob's opinions completely but on this single issue I come down completely on the side of DickyP.

Some judges are worse that XFactor contestants in their desire to be famous for 15 minutes.

Under the radar of our normal public conciousness, people on sink estates are beating the hell out other people on sink estates, yet after five horrible offences are given their fifth consecutive finger wagging and no punishment.

However, once the glare of publicity shines down the the judges decide to "get tough" in front of the media.

There was no need to imprison Cantona after he fly kicked an abusive racist. Personally I would have flayed the racist moron to within an inch of his life and given Cantona a knighthood. There was no need allow the police to arrest Rebekah Brooks. She may have been daft, but was perfectly willing to answer questions. The arrest was a police publicity stunt done at our expense so that some meaningless plod could get his name in the papers.

The arrest of Harry Redknapp at 6 a.m. for some bung enquiry was made by a police force who couldn't be bothered with even visiting people who'd actually been burgled. Pure publicity seeking.

The police and courts should do their work, and not try to impress us by imprisoning someone who chucked some shaving foam at the world's biggest :censored:.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

For info: Arresting someone and questioning them under caution has certain legal implications and is rarely a publicity stunt. It is legally different to just being asked questions.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I understand that, but it still begs the question as to why the police persistently refuse to apprehend yobs who ruin the lives of perfectly decent people living on some suburban estates, yet as soon as some celebrity does something wrong, the blues and twos are there in force, witnessed by a posse of well informed papparazzi whom the police have tipped off.

As I said, we pay for this mob, so they should do our work and not pursue their own agendas.

The fact that someone who chucked foam at some rich t*t has been apprehended does not make me feel any safer. I would much prefer that they dealt with the bunch of thieving travellers that have pitched up between Leven and Brandesburton and have already started menacing the local community. Alas, that is a task less easy.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Let's face the real reason Parliament are chasing this telephone bugging hare so hard is not because of its undoubted illegality and seriousness, but because it diverts attention away from their ongoing expenses frailties.
Or the fact they are pals with the Journos that are doing the phone hacking...

Got to agree with Kinoulton about the publicity seeking judges, a consistent level of punishment would be appreciated. However, the problem with jobs on the 'sink' estates is that often they will refuse to press charges or identify their assailant because they'd rather go out the following night and go for revenge. I've got a mate who's a policeman and he complains about this regularly. The members of the estate will close ranks and things will be resolved 'in house', meaning another violent episode within the week.