Boots

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Boots

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Just a very quick query really. Naturally at the end of a season and the new one approaching I am on the hunt for some new rugby boots. I've suffered a bit this season from wearing studs on the much harder grounds both in the summer and the winter, and was therefore looking to invest in some blades as well as studded boots for the softer ground. My query is that, I play in the forwards, flanker, so would blades really be appropriate for the hard ground?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Boots

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I've actually found blades have really helped on some hard grounds this season, we played down at Weymouth earlier in the season and the pitch was like concrete, thankfully I had moulded blades.

I play as a prop and as an impulse buy on eBay I purchased a pair of Predator RX's for a bargain, 75 quid, I have to say they are the comfiest boots I've ever owned, so for wets I went and purchased the SG version, much to the Wife's dismay, my argument was if I hurt myself because of losing footing etc. (laying it on thick) she's have to do the garden etc and all my jobs, needless to say I won. neither pair has let me down. I've had a few remarks from fellow props, but after ridiculing me for being a wannabe Jonny,a few of the guys in the Front Row Union have been donning them in our league. I've even dared a few cheeky chips through (3 tries this seaon :smt023 )

So there you have my review, make what you will
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Thank you for your help TigrisLeicesteris, that's really helpfull!

A few other things, as I am new to buying blades, would I be right in saying that it isn't possible to buy bladed boots which are specific for rugby? Appears to me they're specific for football?!

This is the pair that I am looking at, http://www.lovell-rugby.co.uk/Rugby-Boo ... d-or-White seem OK to the eye but sadly there are no reviews! One other query, would the pair on the link be permitted because they don't appear to be metal but rubber/plastic?

Ideally I desire some which have the metal bottoms, because, in my mind, they would give more grip?! Such as the ones shown half way down this page - http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/show ... oots/page5 - however for my size, 12 - 13 they seem to be impossible to find!

Rugby boot shopping is a nightmare!

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I don't like blades as they can get stuck in the ground when turning. I prefer the moulded stud option. They are not very big studs and you can usually pick them up quite cheaply. Which is handy as any mouldies I own only tend to last two seasons at the most as hard grounds are pretty merciless on boots.

Interesting link for you as well;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 277722.stm

These are the sort of mouldies I go in for (I normally pick up a cheaper pair in the sales though);

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-tiempo ... ots-209384
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

I've never worn blades, but I would second the shout for moulded studs. The studs are much shorter and there are more of them, so the force of impact is much more spread out.

I have a pair of boots with the long metal studs for soft grounds and a pair of mouldies for when the ground won't take a stud. I've had my mouldies for about two years and they're still in very good condition (though, as I said, I only wear them on hard ground). These are the ones I have:

http://tinyurl.com/5r6eeqd

I'm a forward and I've never had any problems with losing grip in them and they've never been flagged as illegal in any stud check.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

There is some quite cheap gilbert boots on ebay at the moment. they are moulded and the only ones ive been able to find in size 13.
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Thank you all very very much for your help and advice, it's really appreciated and has been incredibly useful!

I did find some of the ones that I was looking for on morrant, however they're £90 and as good as they may well be, I personally am not willing to pay that for a pair of boots, ludicrous price!

TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Hey Ben, as far as I know, the blades are allowed, I've had funny looks from refs (as the same reason as the FRU) but no questions on legality, our head coach is a qualified ref, and he has checked also on legality.

It's down to personal preference, I have no worry about turning quickly, they give me the grip I need, and they are very comfy. ProDirectRugby has a sale on at the moment, KickBack sports is good and JJB has rugby specific at a decent price to :smt023
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

I found some!! Reasonably priced too :smt001

http://www.newitts.com/product/IT024071 ... ots.htm&q=