Phone Hacking

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Phone Hacking

Post by Ben the Tiger »

I know this is an incredibly sensitive subject especially in light of recent discoveries and the ongoing investigations with the latest allegations being that families of dead service men and women had their phones hacked into by the News of the World and News International. I was interested in gauging people's opinions on this topic?

I for one think that it is unethical, immoral and unjustifiable. I cannot see that there is any reason for it to be in the public interest and it is an absolute disgrace. However what got me more angry was this interview -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/n ... 531686.stm

Please tell me it's not just me who sees this man as being a complete bafoon?!
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Phone Hacking

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I would say that this man is cowering behind the notion of freedom of speech and expression which, we are told, is such an important aspect of the life of this country.

He then goes on to talk about the pressure for 'looking for exclusives' or something to that effect. As far as I'm concerned, you can't reconcile 'looking for exclusives' with freedom of expression as it involves a fair amount of tampering with someone's right to a private life. Fair enough, if someone has done something wrong, or of note, then openly report it but don't go fishing for that little bit extra. Freedom of expression doesn't and shouldn't translate to freedom to do what you want in pursuit of a good story.

Also, what does 'exclusive' mean for other papers? Because they weren't foolish or unethical, they are somehow disadvantaged in terms of their coverage. By all means papers should be allowed to express their views, no matter how odious, on events that happen but it should be a level playing field- no more of this 'looking for exclusives.'

There are enough problems and suspicions with such surreptitious tactics from organisations like the police so why would anyone in their right mind think it's an OK thing for something banal like the NotW to do it?!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's incredibly irresponsible behaviour.

We've had instances of child abduction and even child murder, where the child's family have been found to be the culprits..

Supposing some meddling journalist came across something on a child's phone records that implicated a family member? Would he know what to do with this information? Would he admit to the police what he had been doing, or would he conceal this vital information to protect himself?

It's playing with fire.

And it is no justification to say that there is a market for this kind of journalism. There are markets for dog carcasses and hard drugs, it doesn't mean it's right to supply them.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

The man is a worm. But at least an honest worm in that he admits he is trying to justify the indefensible. I've found the most amazing thing about this whole episode is learning that the News of the World is a top selling paper. Wow that's depressed the hell out of me :smt010

That scummy journalists use scummy tactics is a little too obvious and not shocking to me at all. Just so disappointing that people buy and read the cr@p.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I have just been watching that man being interviewed on Sky. He has no moral base or perspective at all.

One wonders if Rebecca Brooks or the Murdochs have really grasped the extent of public outrage. For once I agree with Milliband who is demanding that senior executives at NOTW and NI accept responsibility, although I suspect the only thing that will motivate them is the 5% drop in their share value overnight (a consequence of so many companies withdrawing advertising), which hit Murdoch in the pocket to the tune of £125 million.

So at the end of the day it will all be down to money - the circle completed.
Valhalla I am coming!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

NOWS to close!

Everyone gets it, regardless of their responsibility for the hacking. Well done the editors!
Valhalla I am coming!
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Yeah but what will the top brass care, they'll be in another job by the end of next week. Easy way out Murdoch!!!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:Easy way out Murdoch!!!
My thoughts exactly, just hope that someone doesn't let this rest and presses home the case until the whole truth is revealed and someone brought to justice.

TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

They just had a report on the news at 6 that their are feelings that the NOTW will be reborn in days as the "The Sun on Sunday".

Slimy Murdoch gets away with it again, the man and his cronies, Rebecca Brooks I'm looking at you! :smt012

Stand up and take your punishment
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Public opinon counts if it affects what we spend.

Ratners collapsed after their CEO gloated over selling us "cr@p". The Sun's sales in Liverpool have never recovered after their reporting of the Hillsborough tragedy. Millions still boycott Starbucks after their well publicised gaff in not supporting UK troops.

But if we just tut-tut at the news of the World but still go and buy it because they have some juice on Kate Middleton or David beckham then our posturing will be empty.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

There are undoubtedly members of their staff who are guilt-free from these deplorable actions, my sympathy is with them, they are being forced to fall on their bosses sword.

That sympathy goes, so far, if they are unaware of their bosses and select members action, I'm with them, however should they be aware and not blown the whistle, damn them and their train wreck of a newspaper
Voltaire

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

As was pointed out by some sage journalists on the BBC this morning, the sad thing is that some people on the NOTW did some seriously good and ethical undercover journalism whilst this despicable muck-raking was going on.

Regretably, all will lose their jobs. A clear case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Steve Coogan does what we all want to do and question the sleazy little git -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/n ... 535374.stm

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The british public can be quite stoic in their refusal to allow worrms to re-emerge:

Take Gary Glitter and John Leslie as examples.

However, people like Michael Jackson (God torture his horrible corpse) have inexplicably made an untarnished comeback, and I suspect that some of the guilty NOTW hacks will come back equally unscathed.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

The public have short memories when it impacts upon their comforts and wants.
Perhaps it wasn't the controversy that ended the career of Glitter and Leslie but popularity.

What is worse is that when it gets the a new title the same idiots that read that NotW will mindlessly pick up the Sun on Sunday, either because they genuinely think it's a new paper or because they want to justify picking up that poor excuse for a newspaper.