Dumb Britain

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Dumb Britain

Post by Kinoulton »

Amongst the furore caused by today's strike action is the "confusion" caused to "mothers" because some of their children can still go to school and some can't. Confusion? :censored:!

How do British people get through life? Do some women have their brains removed once they have children?

Some teachers are on strike. Some aren't. Some classes are running. Some aren't. This has been known about for over a week.

If you find this confusing, you should never have had children.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dumb Britain

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

You'll be eating humble pie when, across the country, parents wait patiently for their child outside locked school gates this afternoon...
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:You'll be eating humble pie when, across the country, parents wait patiently for their child outside locked school gates this afternoon...
Why would I heat humble pie?

Are you suggesting that the kids are locked in and unable to get out?

If the schools need a gate-unlocker then I know lots of people that could do it. Furthermore, they don't need to go to teacher training college at my expense, they don't need 13 weeks holiday or a magnificent pension, and they have this peculiar habit of turning up.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I was agreeing with you that it the story was ridiculous by positing an absurd (and humorous- ho hum :smt022 ) imaginary, suggesting that you're overestimating the faculties of many British parents...

As for the merits of this strike, I'll not go there!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

We have similar "confusion" when people find they don't get precisely the same medical service and bin collections as people in other places.

Very confusing it is.

I've tried to explain that this is why we have local democracy and de-centralisation. But no, dumb Britain just finds it call "confusing".
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:...

Are you suggesting that the kids are locked in and unable to get out?
If only :smt023
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I think it quite correct that all we who pay taxes and do not work in the public sector, should pay more to further enhance the pensions of those who have higher pay and pensions than we ourselves. It's only right!
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

fleabane wrote:I think it quite correct that all we who pay taxes and do not work in the public sector, should pay more to further enhance the pensions of those who have higher pay and pensions than we ourselves. It's only right!
You are clearly one of these heartless people who focuses only on teachers' ludicrously short working day, 13 weeks holiday, and generous pension pot. You don't stop to considr that they have to do MARKING.

And some of this MARKING eats into their long afternoon / evenings and never-ending holiday entitlement.

Forget about people who mine stuff underground, or dodge bullets in Afghanistan, or work at the top of massive cooling towers in all weathers. Those peope are mere whimps compared to people who have to MARK things.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Would have expected no less Kinny :smt012

I finish at 6 every night, because hours are taken way from me to teach stuff that parents should be teaching kids, I have 15-20 kids in my class after 3 for 2 and a half hours who want to learn more, and work on projects in the community.

You tell me in my salary where I get paid for that! I do it for the love of the job and for the kids, we're not all money grabbing ***********, and yet I know parents who moan I don't do enough for my kids. I organize trips to Dartmoor, study groups over holidays for exams, and act as a surrogate parent to my more needy students.

You wan't to use the argument about paying for my pension......I pay your NHS bills, your kids education bills, my point is I'm a tax payer to. The sooner you lot find out the facts and stop listening to an ignorant media who wish to sensationalise this story the better.

I'm here to educate our future, I work damn hard without the pay, and yes I understand the risks soldiers take, my club lost one of our boys out there, the equality of the whole system stinks, we should all be entitled to a decent pension, but don't blame us for this mess when Fred Goodwin receives a multi million pound final salary pension, after all we didn't take the risks with the country's economic future.

I'll leave you with this, you agree a deal with your boss about your pay, then a few months down the line, he says sorry I'm paying you less and you have to work until you're 70, now tell me you wouldn't be annoyed
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

TigrisLeicesteris, that is exactly what is happening in the private sector, backed with a "take it or face redundancy" stance in many organisations. Goodwin is a distraction.

The unions are far more realistic in the private sector compared to the public, and realise that for companies to survive, they, their employees and the unions themselves have to embrace a different, more productive, and often less financially rewarding future to enable that survival to happen. Longer hours are taken for granted, and have been for a long time. 36 hour week? 60hrs is not unusual - voluntary, of courseand with no overtime rate, and business owners often working 14hr days.

We are told that it is the private sector, which mostly means SMEs, not large corporations, have to dig us out of the financial mess we are in. People working in this sector do not understand why they have to accept their own personal sacrifices whilst paying more to subsidise public sector workers.

Job security ceased to exist in the private sector a decade ago, but only now is it a reality in the public sector.

Time to join the rest of us!
Valhalla I am coming!
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Realistic? You're joking right?

Need I point out BA staff going on strike because losing air miles perks?

You don't leave all people in poverty, so it's fair for all, you raise the standards of those in poverty to equal those of the civilized world to gain equality for all, the private sector can afford an end salary pension for its workers, your bosses chose not to, as to line all their pockets, CEO's and Execs get rich while we slave for nothing, you moan about teachers, you subsidise the BBC to a greater extent, the director general was paid £834,000 last year, more than the PM, enough to pay for 34 teachers, whose actual average salary is closer to £25,000, and that's being generous as their are more new teachers who are on lower salaries, the older and more resistant to change have taken OUR money and already run. It's like the reforms to education years ago, it was good enough for THEIR generation but we have to pay their debts. Yes the private sector is finding new ways to make money, buy ripping us all off.

You can find the arguments to back your view, I can mine, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Just throwing this into the mix. I work part-time, my firm is small and we've had no rises or bonuses of any kind, and no perks like Christmas lunches, for the last 3 years - we are now doubling, and in some cases tripling up, on job roles (i.e. working for 2 or 3 fee earners, emptying our own bins, cleaning the office ourselves) because if we didn't, the firm would have gone under some time ago and we'd all be out of jobs. We have no pensions through the firm. Even the senior partner hoovers his own office to save the firm money & keep our jobs in place.

In between my part-time work, I am an unpaid carer for my elderly disabled father, who doesn't qualify for attendance allowance etc because he can still wash, dress and feed himself. The fact he is in constant pain and can't walk more than about 10 yards without a breathless struggle doesn't count. Apart from an Age Concern helper for one hour a week (for which he pays) I do all his other jobs, chores, errands and requirements.

I know I could not be a teacher, I'm intelligent and have a wide general knowledge but no degree and, these days, very little patience. I admire those who do teach (some of my friends and my god-daughter) but I still do not agree with the strike. Public sector people who are striking have jobs, and have pensions, many don't.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The title of this thread has turned out to be strangely apposite given the turn it has taken. The "dumb" part refers to the fact that, people in the public and private sectors who are at the bottom of the wages heap are attacking and blaming each other when the real villains are those who mercilessly milked and are still milking the system for 25 years and who notice no recession or downturn. Luxury goods sales are UP (not Thorntons' chocolate - stuff that we might consider a luxury but yachts and super-cars). My son-in law has just had a promo to 110K at 30 yrs old because he works at a bank in IT. His bosses think 100K is holiday spending money.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Rizzo, you make my point well. I work across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, and sadly, your tale is not uncommon. I am also a part time university lecturer who will not strike.

LT, there is plenty of data from CIPD, IoM, IoD, Trade Associations and the government to further support my earlier post.
Valhalla I am coming!
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Teachers are never happy be it moaning about pay/pensions or holidays.

I work for a printing firm and in the last 2 years in order to keep my job have taken a 20% pay reduction,worked a 4 day week when there wasn't any work and lost my holiday pay! No one was happy and when it went to the union vote it was very close but luckily the majority spoken and we avoided redundancies.This IMO is a small price to pay.I wouldn't fancy signing on and receiving just £50 a week to support my young family.My message to teachers would be to grow up and stop acting like spoilt brats,times are hard for us all.

Dumb Britain?

Dumb Teachers!
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.