War on Cliches

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

War on Cliches

Post by fleabane »

We live in a world dominated by media which love a soundbite, and which thrive on the use of cliches. John Rentoul (The Indy) has declared war on cliches.

http://tinyurl.com/6ytjfxo

I am sure the erudite readers of this thread have their own favourites . . . . there are always one or two in use on the Tigers' forum!
Valhalla I am coming!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: War on Cliches

Post by Bill W (2) »

I think we can take lots of positives from this article which will all help to inform the decision making process. Let's face it, there is much to be said for looking at both sides of the coin and determining heuristically the best route forward towards winning silverware. On the other hand we should all be alert to those who are economical with the truth and paint a picture where everything is rosy.

Then again it may all be a load of rollocks!
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Whereas if you change horses in midstream, and you're hot to trot, then provided the horse hasn't bolted, you should be able to rein it in and put it out to grass.

But if you stick to your guns, bite the bullet, don't get trigger happy, nail your colours to the mast, and dig yourself into an entrenched position then, the you may win the battle but not the war. And then you've got to win the peace.

All of which is good in so far as it goes. But as far as it goes, it's gone. Like a gravy train that has just left the station.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

But at the end of the day, we need to remember we all make mistakes, and we learn from our experiences, but just remember; it's a game of two halves, you win some and you lose some.

(Sorry Kinny and Bill I know I fall short of your standards)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:(Sorry Kinny and Bill I know I fall short of your standards)
I am sure that I speak for Kinny also when I say unequivocally that your valued offering has much to commend it and is illustrative of the progress you have made and will continue to make. Whilst striving for excellence and pursuing perfection are always to be maintained as ultimate goals, in the end game it is not until the fat lady sings and the referee calls no side that the struggle is over and then only temporarily until the next game, which, as sure as night follows day, will be followed by yet deeper and more challenging encounters.
Still keeping the faith!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Hear hear! I am sick to the back teeth of cliches.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

POSTIGER wrote:Hear hear! I am sick to the back teeth of cliches.
I agree they get right on my wick! And they who use them are but barnacles on the backside of literacy!
Still keeping the faith!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Bill W (2) wrote:
TigrisLeicesteris wrote:(Sorry Kinny and Bill I know I fall short of your standards)
I am sure that I speak for Kinny also when I say unequivocally that your valued offering has much to commend it and is illustrative of the progress you have made and will continue to make. Whilst striving for excellence and pursuing perfection are always to be maintained as ultimate goals, in the end game it is not until the fat lady sings and the referee calls no side that the struggle is over and then only temporarily until the next game, which, as sure as night follows day, will be followed by yet deeper and more challenging encounters.
Sir Humphrey would have been proud of that one Bill. Certainly thinking outside the box (or is it envelope? Or an envelope shaped box?)

Going back to Sir Humphrey, this one is loaded with cliches (but still true for all that)

"How to discredit an unwelcome report:

Stage One: Refuse to publish in the public interest saying
1. There are security considerations.
2. The findings could be misinterpreted.
3. You are waiting for the results of a wider and more detailed report which is still in preparation. (If there isn't one, commission it; this gives you even more time).

Stage Two: Discredit the evidence you are not publishing, saying
1. It leaves important questions unanswered.
2. Much of the evidence is inconclusive.
3. The figures are open to other interpretations.
4. Certain findings are contradictory.
5. Some of the main conclusions have been questioned. (If they haven't, question them yourself; then they have).

Stage Three: Undermine the recommendations. Suggested phrases:
1. 'Not really a basis for long term decisions'.
2. 'Not sufficient information on which to base a valid assessment'.
3. 'No reason for any fundamental rethink of existing policy'.
4. 'Broadly speaking, it endorses current practice'.

Stage Four: Discredit the person who produced the report. Explain (off the record) that
1. He is harbouring a grudge against the Department.
2. He is a publicity seeker.
3. He is trying to get a Knighthood/Chair/Vice Chancellorship.
4. He used to be a consultant to a multinational.
5. He wants to be a consultant to a multinational."
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DCat wrote:[Sir Humphrey would have been proud of that one Bill. Certainly thinking outside the box (or is it envelope? Or an envelope shaped box?)
Why thank you DCat.

In part of my illustrious carrer I was privaleged to work quite closely with a number of senior civil servants! One learnt never to be constrained by the current policy envelope whilst recognising the boundaries that it implied and to that extent thinking outside the box was encouraged providing one realised that ones thoughts had to be made acceptable to those inside it.
Still keeping the faith!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I might add, that in the final analysis, as to how one faced the final hurdle, due significance has to be paid to whether one rose to the occasion or, in falling at the last, was merely an alsoran. Whereas many are called, few are chosen, and even fewer reach the heights of their endeavour, to succeed, against all odds, to achieve not only recognition of excellence but the acclaim of being truly pre-eminent in ones chosen field whatever that might be. Nonetheless, for every winner there are many losers. And even the winners experience both highs and lows rejoicing in the highs and learning from the lows. And to the losers there is the satisfaction of having taken part and having enabled the winners to enjoy their brief moments of glory which pass as the sun sets and the new day dawns. For todays champions are but yesterdays heros awaiting the arrival of tomorrows victors. And so it has been and always will be.
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well I know which side my bread's buttered and if I'm going to get my share of the cake I'm not going Green. They take the biscuit, promising jam tomorrow, yet no matter which way the cookie crumbles, they end up with egg on their faces.

ThIt's hard cheese if they've missed the gravy train. They need to put some meat on the bones of their policies, wake up and smell the coffee. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

After all, you can batter a Mars Bar, but at the end of the day, all things considered, it's still a lethal combination of fat, cholestrol, sugar, and helps you to work, rest and play until you drop dead at 39.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Of course, as Clint said, a man's gorra know his limitations, even when he is feeling lucky, which may be a risk he is, or is not, prepared to take, but it may, in the death, prove fatal. He (or she) has to see which way the wind is blowing, take the temperature of the water and go with the flow. However, swimming against the tide can be best of two evils when there are sharks around. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chance. So tell me, punk, are yer feeling lucky? Or, like Harry, do you end up with all the dirty jobs?

I guess it is six of one and half a dozen of the other!
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well a John Bird in the hand is worth two in the George Bush.

You should Lady Luck before you Leapy Lee.

There's no Smokey without Offiah.

Time is a great Austin Healey.

From little Noakes, mighty Ayckbourn grows.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I am surprised no one has yet mentioned the cliche often used on the Fans Forum - which is "get a life".
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

You're only allowed to write "get a life" in the context of a post written as:

well i think mor impotant to get pont across m8 an u dont havet o ave spell an grammer jus say wot on ur mind anspag police shud get a life