Internet Explorer 9

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Internet Explorer 9

Post by Sherpa2 »

Just interested in any feedback, good or bad, you may have if you have upgraded to IE9. I used the beta version for a while but went back to IE8 as a number of sites and addins I use regularly didn't work well.
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
Rizzo

Re: Internet Explorer 9

Post by Rizzo »

Can't help, I'm afraid, I always use Firefox.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Ditto - if nothing else I like having a built-in spell checker in Firefox.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Try Safari. Built by Apple, free to download and works on the useless microsoft dross I'm forced to use
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Safari is much better and also has a built in spell checker, although it is american.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Old Hob wrote:Try Safari. Built by Apple, free to download and works on the useless microsoft dross I'm forced to use
Built by Apple is an excellent reason NOT to use it - they build superb hardware but rubbish application software: it's instructive that the biggest seller of software by value for the Mac is still Microsoft!.

I don't like Safari all on a PC (too flaky) though it's OK on my Mac: worst of all is Chrome - very good way to instantly trash a PC - if it crashes so does the entire PC.

Why are you forced to use Microsoft - can't you afford to pay double the price for half the spec to buy a Mac?

Get the best of both worlds and use Firefox, but install the 'IE Tab' Add-in so when you find one of the many, many sites which only render correctly on IE (tends to be common with credit card/banking sites) you can use the IE rendering engine within Firefox instead of the built-in one just by clicking on an icon.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

I am forced to use what our IT Services say we can use. Those that go for Macs and Linux and stuff (which I really don't understand coz I'm thick) get no support whatsoever and have to dig themselves out of their own holes.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Don't like IE. Too bugged, too cluttered. Firefox is fine. Currently using Chrome.

Never had any problems. Fast and simple browser.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Interesting the way this thread has drifted: no one has really answered Sherpa 2's query.

Does anyone have feedback on IE 9?

I seem to be like everyone else and not use IE out of choice, but that in itself is an interesting non-consensus as we have fans of Firefox, Chrome and Safari (so far). Mind you it could be that only the non-users like me are interested (boring) enough to comment.

Made me wonder if a similar behaviour pattern can be seen in other choices like e-mail clients. I for instance, use Thunderbird because it is highly customizable: with lots of useful Add-ons such as Lightning (an Outlook like calendar) and Dictionary Switcher (which allows me to flip-flop between English and German dictionaries with a single click). The choice here could be much wider given the multiplicity of Microsoft offerings such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, and various web-mails such as G-Mail, Hotmail etc, and other mail clients such as Eudora.
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Old Hob wrote:Try Safari. Built by Apple, free to download and works on the useless microsoft dross I'm forced to use
I'm with you Old Hob. Microsoft sucks. I run macs and you just don't get the problems with them that plague PC users. Safari, Pages etc so much more intuitive, intelligent and reliable than IE and Word. Sherps - go Apple.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

cornish tigress wrote:
I'm with you Old Hob. Microsoft sucks. I run macs and you just don't get the problems with them that plague PC users. Safari, Pages etc so much more intuitive, intelligent and reliable than IE and Word. Sherps - go Apple.
You don't get problems with Macs cos they can't do anything except the limited amount that Apple want you to. I've been an IT professional for years and have developed on PC, Mac and Linux platforms not to mention Dec and IBM mainframes. Without any doubt the flexible platform of all and quickest to develop on if you are in business (hence most profitable) is the good old MS Windows PC.

And who gets problems with PCs - I certainly don't. I do however find my Mac so frustrating as it won't let me do anything interesting.
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

It always seem to be 'IT professionals' that like PC's. Job creation :smt001

As opposed to a Steve Jobs creation, which you just plug in. And it does what you want. Intuitively. Love them. :smt026
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

cornish tigress wrote:It always seem to be 'IT professionals' that like PC's. Job creation :smt001

As opposed to a Steve Jobs creation, which you just plug in. And it does what you want. Intuitively. Love them. :smt026
But that's just it - it doesn't do what I want - it does what he wants. They are great if you have no ambition to do anything.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

What is absolutely fascinating, as an observer, is that Sherpa has received all this advice as to what to used instead of IE 9 from people none of whom have used it!!!!

Bit like other topics on the forum!!

:smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016
Still keeping the faith!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

DickyP wrote: But that's just it - it doesn't do what I want - it does what he wants. They are great if you have no ambition to do anything.
That's just not true. My husband writes software for the mac on the mac. But, this isn't really helping poor old Sherps. Good luck with finding your answer :smt006