What age is it acceptable to listen to classical music?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

What age is it acceptable to listen to classical music?

Post by adamv6 »

The missus finds it great fun to rip the **** out of me whenever she gets chance about the fact my iphone is littered with classical music.

I am mid 30's, is that too young?
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: What age is it acceptable to listen to classical music?

Post by Old Hob »

There is no "too young". In days gone by schools played good music to infants in case they were unfortunate enough to come from deprived homes. Now schools 'of to git dahn wiv du kids man' and other ghastly things. However, the corollary is that 18 is too old to be listening to anything that isn't classics or jazz.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

My four and six year old grandsons enjoy Wagner. They also enjoy Jazz and Elaine Paige. They are the CD's in the autochanger in the Jeep!!!
Still keeping the faith!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I was listening to Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninov, Holst and Grieg before I started infant school. This was through my own choice, i.e. my parents weren't making me listen to it.

Unfortunately, it was another 20 years before I discovered opera. However, the day you catch me watching ballet, you have my full permission to shoot me!
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

BJ. wrote: However, the day you catch me watching ballet, you have my full permission to shoot me!
And me. Expressive art? -my expletive deleted. All you can hear are the thumps of their feet and the squeak squeak of their pumps as they ruin a perfectly good piece of music (although most ballet music is pretty second rate). I say only hear, because when compelled to go I've always ended up with my eyes shut.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

The ballet of the scrum and line out is most enjoyable!
Still keeping the faith!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I discovered Opera at the age of 35. Like rugby, it is better enjoyed when you go to the stadium, the Opera Bastille in my case. But young children can sometimes disrupt the whole thing by asking questions to their mother in the middle of a great aria. However for a non-classical music fan, I suggest searching on youtube for great singers of the past like Franco Corelli (his"nessun dorma" reamains for me the best ever recorded) Ferrucio Tagliavini, Tito Schipa, the young Pavarotti (before he turned into a microphone singer). You can get there a collection of great arias uploaded by opera fans.
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

My daughter grew up listening to all sorts of music, classical alongside rock, opera alongside folk...now - as she studies drama and performance - other students come to her to ask for suggestions for classical pieces for their own performances. as one lad told her "I never heard of this stuff, how am I meant to find the right sort of music?"

Music is music, no matter what genre it falls into - give it a go, if you like what you hear, go out and find more.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
tigerD

Post by tigerD »

Rizzo wrote: Music is music, no matter what genre it falls into - give it a go, if you like what you hear, go out and find more.
Couldn't agree more - with all genres, except that disjointed ridiculous and completely useless type known as free jazz....associated with brown polyester turtle necks etc. etc.:smt025 :smt064
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerD wrote:
Rizzo wrote: Music is music, no matter what genre it falls into - give it a go, if you like what you hear, go out and find more.
Couldn't agree more - with all genres, except that disjointed ridiculous and completely useless type known as free jazz....associated with brown polyester turtle necks etc. etc.:smt025 :smt064
Been here before:

http://www.leicestertigers.com/forum/vi ... z&start=30
Still keeping the faith!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

You're always young enough to listen to whatever you like. Although it's never too late not to start listening to opera.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

I am really glad that somebody has started this thread.

I discovered classical music when I was around 12, completely of my own volition. I learned to play the piano & the organ (now keep this clean, please) and discovered a whole new world of music. Opera and ballet I can leave, but it does give me a bit of a 'hairs on the back of the neck' moment when you hear a good symphony orchestra going full blast.

Which gets me on to De Montfort Hall. Due to the complete mismanagement of the place by a few incompetent idiots, amateur orchestras are now not going to be able to play there and they are talking about reducing the Philharmonia's residency from 9 concerts a year to 6 - although the Phil say they are fully committed to staying in Leicester. We didn't anticipate being able to go to decent classical concerts when we moved to Leicester, and the Phil season has been a joy to me over the last few years. There are those that are proposing to send leicester back into the classical music wilderness and I really wish they wouldn't.

As for what's on my MP3, yes it is just about all classical, but I'm proud of that, as should everybody be, and don't let anybody else tell you otherwise, regardless of your age.

[Packs away soapbox & goes to bed]
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

There is a lot of drivel in all musical genres. A lot of that from “older” eras has been weeded out so only the good stuff is heard. Whereas with more modern music we can hear everything and time has not yet had the opportunity to hide the rubbish.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

True story. When I was a kid, pre-school, I was eager to read.

I ended up teaching myself to read anything I could find in the house: boxes of Daz; bottles of Fairy Liquid; the toilet roll, my brothers'comics.

This was a dodgy way of learning to spell, which came to a head at a family gathering when I decided, at the age of four, I would take charge of the gramaphone.

I picked up a dark green labelled record which I read as "Chopping Three Notches".

This sounded to me like a good old cowboy song, probably with guitars, so I put it on.

I was disappointed at the sound that came out of the old Dansette. What I had actually put on was my sister's EP called Chopin: Three Nocturnes.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

At least 110 years of age. :smt023

(only because i don't understand it, enjoy)
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"