Should there be a mosque at ground zero?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Should there be a mosque at ground zero?

Post by Bill W (2) »

Still keeping the faith!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: Should there be a mosque at ground zero?

Post by kingol22 »

Cant see a problem with it. Al-queda is a small minority of muslim extremists why should there acts mean that muslims who practice there faith peacefully should not bee allowed mosques.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Still keeping the faith!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I believe the question should be "can you prevent law abiding citizens to open a religious center in the State of New York by legal means." The answer must be "no". BTW, the mosque is a walking distance from ground zero but not at the site itself.

It's seems that America's Tea Partiers wanted something to shout about.
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

[quote="Ze Stade Fan"]I believe the question should be "can you prevent law abiding citizens to open a religious center in the State of New York by legal means." The answer must be "no". quote]

Just on a point of detail New York City, and Manhattan in particular are not adminstratively part of New York State (State Capital Albany).
Still keeping the faith!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

the proposal to build a Muslim gay bar next door isn't going down well with some folks....
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Still keeping the faith!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Ze Stade Fan wrote:I believe the question should be "can you prevent law abiding citizens to open a religious center in the State of New York by legal means." The answer must be "no". quote]

Just on a point of detail New York City, and Manhattan in particular are not adminstratively part of New York State (State Capital Albany).
So, how can you stop a law abiding citizen from building a place of worship in the city of New York ? If this place of worship turns into a permanent gathering of Toulouse supporters then I think it should be time to close it. I don't want to listen to arguments other than legal.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:
So, how can you stop a law abiding citizen from building a place of worship in the city of New York ? If this place of worship turns into a permanent gathering of Toulouse supporters then I think it should be time to close it. I don't want to listen to arguments other than legal.
I am not familiar with building regulations and planning procedures in New York.

However, I would wager that a mosque will not be built next to Buckingham Palace, the White House, or the Élysée Palace.
Still keeping the faith!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

"next to" is to blocks away, so there should be no environmental concern. The great mosque of Paris was built by the State and you can chew very nice pastry there while drinking a mint tea.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:"next to" is to blocks away, so there should be no environmental concern. The great mosque of Paris was built by the State and you can chew very nice pastry there while drinking a mint tea.
Just so. And honour the North Africans who fought in aid of the French in WW1.
Still keeping the faith!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

And WWII as well ! Two third of the free french that landed in Provence in 1944 were Africans or North Africans. My grandfather commanded a detachment of Senegalese - Muslims no need to say - and at the time the locals were glad to see them.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It is sad that Americans were so easily and unquestioningly led to believe that Iraq was to blame for 9/11, and that a "crusade" (W's words, not mine!), was necessary. The blinding ignorance enshrined in that statement has blighted the USA's view of the world and those it sees as unfortunate not to be born Christian or Jewish, ever since. (Remember the attacks on Sikhs? Wore turbans, so foreign/Muslim/terrorists!)

Of course there should be no obstructions to a mosque, church, tabernacle, temple or whatever being built in the general location. "Next door" might be viewed as provocative by American extremists, but the projected site isn't even next door.

America's paranoia.
Valhalla I am coming!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="Bill W (2)"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10973459[/quote]

NO !!!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Just get rid of all religion. It disgusts me.

There is no beardy bloke looking down on us, but there WERE thousands of corpses dragged out of the twin towers rubble, and anything that relates remotely to the fairytales and intolerance that brought about their death is disgusting and primitive.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!