Honour killings

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Honour killings

Post by Old Hob »

The many, many police officers I trained (at Chief Inspector level and above) had a wide range of political views. I know of two marxists and the majority, I would guess having heard their conversations in debate were left of centre. Right wingers at senior level are rare - extreme ones non-existent. These views were not 'held' to play along with staff because there was no need of that. For example, when I started, there were those who hated Thatcher and those who adored her but the adorers were in the minority - in the rest of the country it was the other way round.

Bill "I should have thought that it was a prerequisite of a law enforcement agency to be right wing. Or have they become a branch of social services - like teachers, doctors, judges and prison governors?"

The police have always had a strong social service element in this country - it is part of the job and makes British policing unique. The police are there to keep the Queen's peace and assist the public. "Want to know the time?...." Policing by consent, S&M means taking into account ALL views. Protests are facilitated not hindered thereby upholding the two elements I mentioned, assisting the public and preserving peace. There are elements in the service who get this wrong - but it is not the intention of the police to be in any way political.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Oh silly me! I thought the police existed in order to prevent crime and to detect and arrest criminals. To uphold the rule of law as determined by the (political) legislature.
Still keeping the faith!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Bill W (2) wrote:Oh silly me! I thought the police existed in order to prevent crime and to detect and arrest criminals. To uphold the rule of law as determined by the (political) legislature.
The detection and prevention of crime is part of preserving the Queen's Peace. The police have been called the social service of last resort; ie if you can't think of anyone else.... As in,"I've lost me dog", "I've seen a UFO" "I'm locked out of my car..."
There is not a police service in the world that has the public confidence of ours and this is because they do all that other stuff. I thought it a great loss when Bobbies were taken off School crossing patrols. An economy measure that saved money but cost an untold amount in building confidence in the police by children.

Of course, the police get it wrong and I was one of their fiercest critics when they did but I have had people from all over the world who tell me they could not/ would not approach a police officer in their own country for information.

Desmond Tutu tells of the years of apartheid when he would visit London to give speeches. He would leave his hotel room for a walk at night (unmolested - the first wonder) and when he found a police officer he would ask for directions. Tutu wasn't lost - he just wanted to hear a policeman say, "Certainly, Sir..." to him, a black man. This, he said, told him that civilisation was possible.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

A lovely story from Archbishop Tutu.

Mind you, today he would do well to find a bobby on the street from whom to ask directions!!

Do not misunderstand me. I have great respect for the police service in the country - note service.

Like referees, however, perhaps they encouraged too much to "interpret the laws" and "manage the game" rather than simply detecting when the laws are breached and apprehending the offenders!
Still keeping the faith!
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

With respect, the last few posts are rubbish. One will never get a 1:1 at Citroen 2cv uni with these views...Get real darlings.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

madoqua wrote:With respect, the last few posts are rubbish. One will never get a 1:1 at Citroen 2cv uni with these views...Get real darlings.
You mean we will avoid graduate tax?

WHEN A FELON'S NOT ENGAGED IN HIS EMPLOYMENT (his employment)
OR MATURING HIS FELONIOUS LITTLE PLANS (little plans)
HIS CAPACITY FOR INNOCENT ENJOYMENT (-cent enjoyment)
IS JUST AS GREAT AS ANY HONEST MAN'S (honest mans)

OUR FEELINGS WE WITH DIFFICULTY SMOTHER (-culty smother)
WHEN CONSTABULARY DUTY'S TO BE DONE (to be done)
AH, TAKE ONE CONSIDERATION WITH ANOTHER (with another)
A POLICEMAN'S LOT IS NOT A HAPPY ONE

AHHH
WHEN CONSTABULARY DUTY'S TO BE DONE, TO BE DONE,
A POLICEMAN'S LOT IS NOT A HAPPY ONE.

WHEN THE ENTERPRISING BURGLARS NOT A'BURGLING (not a'burgling)
WHEN THE CUT THROAT ISN'T OCCUPIED IN CRIME (-pied in crime)
HE LOVES TO HEAR THE LITTLE BROOK A'GURGLING (brook a'gurgling)
AND LISTEN TO THE MERRY VILLAGE CHIME (village chime)

WHEN THE COSTER'S FINISHED JUMPING ON HIS MOTHER (on his mother)
HE LOVES TO LIE A'BASKING IN THE SUN (in the sun)
AH, TAKE ONE CONSIDERATION WITH ANOTHER (with another)
A POLICEMAN'S LOT IS NOT A HAPPY ONE

AHHH
WHEN CONSTABULARY DUTY'S TO BE DONE, TO BE DONE,
A POLICEMAN'S LOT IS NOT A HAPPY ONE (happy one).
Still keeping the faith!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

madoqua wrote:With respect, the last few posts are rubbish. One will never get a 1:1 at Citroen 2cv uni with these views...Get real darlings.
OK Mad - new topic time.
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Spot on OH.

Amazingly I've put a nice uncontroversial one on.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Question : who reads the Guardian on this forum and who is a reader of the Daily Telegraph ? :smt003 What do you find enlighting in these two newspapers and was Margaret Thatcher a real man in disguise ? :smt003
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:Question: was Margaret Thatcher a real man in disguise ? :smt003
I will reveal this dangerous state secret if you can say how the little puppet Sarkozy is worked. Is it strings, a hand up the back or electronics?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:Question : who reads the Guardian on this forum
No-one reads the Guardian. Some carry it as a symbol of their intillectual status.

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Old Hob wrote:
Ze Stade Fan wrote:Question: was Margaret Thatcher a real man in disguise ? :smt003
I will reveal this dangerous state secret if you can say how the little puppet Sarkozy is worked. Is it strings, a hand up the back or electronics?
Some say Sarkozy snuffs coke, others that it's just prescription drugs. Lot of hot air coming from his mouth anyway. A national embarrassment.
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:
Old Hob wrote:
Some say Sarkozy snuffs coke, others that it's just prescription drugs. Lot of hot air coming from his mouth anyway. A national embarrassment.
Perhaps - but both of us are at least spared Berlusconi.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Old Hob wrote:
who is sarkozy? I thought carla bruni was the french president.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

kingol22 wrote:
who is sarkozy? I thought carla bruni was the french president.
Madame Sarkozy, aka Cara Bruni, is La Presidente Francaise!
Still keeping the faith!