So what's your favourite tipple?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

So what's your favourite tipple?

Post by tigerburnie »

.............Beer(we'll do Malt Whisky in the wintertime)

I was weaned on Phipps Bison in the Bakers Arms,before Watneys bought them out.
Local to Leicester,it was Ruddles,untill they sold all the pubs and went all gassy and keg/tin flavoured.You could get an excellent pint of Pedigree in the Union Inn in Aylestone in the early/mid '70's and that kept me going for a few years until I moved to Burton.It was here I found the Burton Bridge Brewery and found something of a "shangrilla"(sp),absolute nectar.
Now living north of the border where the Malt is best used for Whisky distilling,I rely on the bottles from the supermarket.Old Speckled Hen,Pedigree and Abbott,plus the odd Fursty Ferret remind me of what beer used to taste like.There are a few beers brewed up here that are nice,but have that sort of Jennings/northern sourness to them.If the beer runs out I do make Cider in a barrel in the kitchen,looks and smells like drain water and tastes fab.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: So what's your favourite2

Post by Purebob »

Round these parts Hanson's mild was the beer of choice. Not very strong nor very bitter, well kept it was a fabulously moreish nutty brew that only gave you a hangover if you really really abused it.

Sadly the Hansons brewery closed down and the closest we can get is Bankss' mild which tastes like Hansons but brewer with water from the bathroom hot tap if you know what I mean :)

I like the Badger beers, Fursty ferret, Golden Glory, Golden Champion, Tanglefoot etc.

Not REALLY a big fan of very hoppy bitter beers.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Quite liked the Banks's,we used to plan fishing trips around the country via the CAMRA guide book(my kid brother was a member).Of course there was always the pubs on the way back from playing a game of rugby too.
Brews outside of the midlands included Greene King,Adnams and Tolly Cobbold,some fair brews in the south like Badger and Wadworths.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

I used to love beer but I have gone completely off it in recent years. Pint of Baileys is my tipple. Beer is cold and makes you wee too much. It should be banned from some areas of the ground because the guys are all up down up down all :censored: game.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I don't drink beer myself, but the other half says Adnams Broadside for winter, Adnams Explorer or Regatta in summer, Courage Director's are his current favourites. That said, he will drink many others as well :smt002
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

My favourite was always Ward's Sheffield Best Bitter. And then they closed the brewery. :smt022

Since then, Deuchars IPA, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Black Sheep, Adnams, Hop Back Summer Lightning are ones I always have when they're on (even if they're all on :smt030 ). A proper pint of Tiger ain't half bad either.

And then there's proper lager. Jever Pilsener, Augustiner Edelstoff, Pilsener Urquell, any proper Oktoberfestbier.

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout, Guinness Foreign Extra.

And Chimay, Duvel, all those crazy Belgian ales, and proper biere de garde.

Not that I turn down Heineken or wifebeater if it's cold. Basically I just like beer. Beer is God's way of telling us He loves us and wants us to be happy.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: So what's your favourite tipple?

Post by Old Hob »

In the winter Hobgoblin (natch seeing the name and it's brewed 3 miles from where I live) ps had a draught pint of it in Leicester at the semi final and it was horrid , barmaid agreed and took it off. Good Bass but haven't found it for ages In the summer, "Summer Lightning"; if really hot like today draught Peroni.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Old Hob sounds like a drink to me!

Isla Malts, particularly Laphroaig.
Valhalla I am coming!
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Not much of a beer drinker really, but occasionally like a glass of Grantham Gold. London Pride is not to bad either.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

If ever you're down Sussex way, have a pint of Harvey's Best. Only 4%, so a good session bitter - a lovely drop. They do a nice Old Ale too, but it's only available in winter. Their 'Star of Eastbourne' is a fantastic pint. Guzzle it down quick should you ever see it at a beer festival!

Can someone tell me why anybody drinks Fosters or Carling? There are some lagers I like, but these two just don't taste of anything!!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

It's Timmy Taylor or Bishops Finger for me.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'm a young gun me, not quite at the bitter drinking stage...yet. An ice-cold bottle of Hoegaarden for me - beautiful. A friend of mine introduced me to Morgan Spiced and ginger recently, I recommend you give that a slurp.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

Being born in the North East of England of Irish ancestry :smt003 I have to say Newky Brown (out of the bottle, if you please. No glasses for me :smt018 ) or a nice, ice cold pint of Guinness :smt030 or when Im at the game, several :smt042

However if I'm feeling girlie I drink rose wine :smt003
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

in the summer, sitting outside with a bowl of olives and a glass of pastis (51 or Henri Bardouin for preference but never, ever Ricard or Pernod).

for a lovely glass of wine in the summer, Sancerre rose. glorious.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Nope,we were all wrong,it's the glass of water I had in my hand when the final whistle went yesterday,drink of the gods it was.