Saturday evening trains

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GEH

Saturday evening trains

Post by GEH »

How did you get on trying to get home by train yesterday evening? We arrived at London Rd at 1700 to catch the 1704 to Sheffield. There was a Sheffield train in but it left before we could get on. Then everything seemed to be cancelled except for trains for Peterborough and Lincoln, the 1725 left heaving at the seams with passengers for all stations to Nottingham. The station staff didn't seem to know what was going on and the PA didn't keep people up to date at all satisfactorily. Best info we got was a train fire at East langton - must have been serious as the line's still closed this morning. Anybody know any more?

So we'd missed our 1824 connection in Sheffield. After various false dawns the 1704 arrived just before 6 via Oakham - the train was heaving with an hours worth of normal traffic plus Birmingham passengers diverted via Derby as the Nuneaton line was closed - we stood to Derby where after a five minute wait in the platform we were told the train was terminated and we had to transfer to an Edinburgh train, only 4 coaches, that was already quite full - stood to Sheffield and missed our next conmnection at 1811. Finally reached out local station in N Lincs an hour and three quarters late! Not so good when I was trying to convince a colleague who normally drives down to matches to use public transport!

Anyone beat that?
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saturday evening trains

Post by Stu_F »

Getting stuck at Edinburgh airport after the Scotland/Wales match last year when it snowed and all flights were cancelled until following day and then at Italy match a month later I went on train and got stuck in Newcastle due to "an incident on line near Durham"?
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Re trains, I actually couldn't get home from Leicester to Dudley by train on Saturday evening according to the trainline..... Amazing.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I consider myself to be quite "green" in terms of ecology, but all this billhooks about driving 5 miles less each week is such a load of bulls hit.

Sort out the public transport first, and then we might think about not having a car.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

I was booked on the 17.57 to London which should have got in to London just after 7 but ended up getting an earlier(?) train that didn't leave Leicester until nearly 6.30 and didn't arrive at St Pancras until just after 8.45. Apparently there was a broken train at Market Harborough which meant that southbound trains had to start northwards and then loop round to head south which is why northbound services were affected also :smt013
A citizen of hope and glory
GEH

Post by GEH »

Forgot to mention this but anyone who was delayed by more than 30 mins can claim at least part of the fare back. You need a Delay Repay form from Eas Midlands Trains & you need to forward your ticket with the claim form.
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by known as eric at work »

In fairness, last Saturday evening was due to a train losing its wheels near Market Harborough, and derailing as a result of it. A major accident like that has to be fully investigated by law, and the vehicle cannot be moved until has been sorted and all information taken.
Still took me a long time to get back to Nottingham though on the slow train. Rather take a long time on that, than have a re-occurance that could be fatal.

And yes, you can apply for compensation.
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

No you can ask for cash, or refund on your card if you paid on debit/credit card.
They're quite good like that. I've yet to have a problem.
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

Even when it was Midland Mainline or Central Trains, I was always asked the options of vouchers, cash refund or card refund.
I really haven't had a problem.