Time for a change at Christmas No1?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Time for a change at Christmas No1?

Post by Darc Tiger »

Tired of Simon Cowells manufactured, karaoke pop tarts every year? An internet campaign has sprung up in an effort to take 90's rock band 'Rage Against The Machine', and their song 'Killing in the name', to the Christmas number one spot.

Groups on sites such as Facebook and Twitter have reached approximately 440,000 members. It all a bit of fun, but it would be pretty cool if it makes the number 1 spot.

If you want to help, buy the single from itunes/chart-eligible download sites/etc, for as little as 70p, between 13th and 20th of December. Also join the facebook/twitter pages and spread the word!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 5640310..1
http://twitter.com/ratm4xmas
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Time for a change at Christmas No1?

Post by Bill W (2) »

This is such a pointless campaign I might just join it!!!

:smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
Still keeping the faith!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Bah humbug!

:smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

The charts can be manipulated (and some elements of the public too) so easily these days, since the dearth of "proper" singles (even the CD version) I really take no notice or interest in charts etc any more. When my other half ran a mobile disco years ago, we'd be avidly watching & listening to make sure we'd got the appropriate top five just in case. The Christmas number one became devalued completely IMO once the dreaded Cowell clones emerged.

I don't think I'll partake in this campaign, mainly because I dislike the song suggested and I am not a fan of RATM.

I shall go back to my own compiled playlist of Christmas songs, ranging from Nat King Cole to Slade to The Goodies to a selection of Christmas carols and classical music.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

what? RATM ahead of Sir Terry Wogan?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Sorry,but since they killed Top of the Pops,the charts have lost any value in my opinion,not a clue who's number one anymore.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The singles charts have been irrelevant for ages.

I absolutely can't stand Radio 1. It's now for 3 year olds and people who think Chris Moyles is funny. (They have roughly the same reading age.)

R&B has utterly killed pop. Hitting 4,000 notes in one phrase is like juggling, riding a monocycle, making poodles play football, or apparently pulling an enormous length of bunting from your mouth. Clever, but crushingly tedious for the audience.

So I would be happy for RATM to be number 1, but I ain't going to waste a penny of my money putting them there!
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Butchers Hook
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Butchers Hook »

Just joined the group on Faceache. I hope it does beat whatever tripe Cowels gonna put out , just to annoy him abit. Probably will buy it even though i've got the album that came out in about '90-'91 i think. Will have to have half of it bleeped out i should think.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

The Christmas No. 1 round these parts is SAHB this year, like every year.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Kinoulton wrote:The singles charts have been irrelevant for ages.

I absolutely can't stand Radio 1. It's now for 3 year olds and people who think Chris Moyles is funny. (They have roughly the same reading age.)

R&B has utterly killed pop. Hitting 4,000 notes in one phrase is like juggling, riding a monocycle, making poodles play football, or apparently pulling an enormous length of bunting from your mouth. Clever, but crushingly tedious for the audience.

So I would be happy for RATM to be number 1, but I ain't going to waste a penny of my money putting them there!
Completely agree EXCEPT to say that when I was a nip, "
R&B" meant the Count Bishops, Dr Feelgood, Eddie & The Hot Rods, Graham Parker & the Rumour and other fantastic pub rock bands, not today's melody-free yodeling !
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Yes, in the sixties the fantastic Rolling Stones were described as R&B.

I would think these days they'd be horrified to be categorised alongside the seemingly endless batch of dirge-singing divas and whining little sh*ts like Craig David.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Never heard of any of 'em!
Still keeping the faith!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Gate wrote:The Christmas No. 1 round these parts is SAHB this year, like every year.
i LOVE SAHB ! !! \m/ >< \m/
loopylass

Post by loopylass »

[quote="Darc Tiger"]Tired of Simon Cowells manufactured, karaoke pop tarts every year? An internet campaign has sprung up in an effort to take 90's rock band 'Rage Against The Machine', and their song 'Killing in the name', to the Christmas number one spot.

I totally agree that RATM should get to no.1 instead of the X factor rubbish, but somehow the money will still get back to Cowell, wont it?

Plus completely agree with Purebob that 'real' R&B is no match for the rubbish around now. I have to rummage around my parents music collection for good music.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

from the BBC just now (15th December 12.30)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8413557.stm

looks like the RATM people are well organised!!