James May's toy programme

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tim15

James May's toy programme

Post by tim15 »

Just wondered what you all thought of the programme that he did around plasticine this week?
And he's off to look at Meccano next week, this is evoking lots of good vibes in the house from the adults and some weird stares from our children!!!!

I use to make small plasticine men, line them up and use my Evil Kinevel windup motorbike stunt guy to run over them before smashing into my airfix tanks-happy days. :smt040

Have asked my friends with kids and they state that they are not as mad and crazy as we all were in the 60's & 70's and early 80's, certainly don't get into the trashing of their toys like we all use to.

on a slightly distrubing note the smell of airfix glue was lovely, but not as tasty as Copydex! :smt043
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: James May's toy programme

Post by Kinoulton »

I loved acting out battles between opposing armies made up of the large numbers of toy soldiers I had.

Most damage was caused by "artillery", which consisted of me hurling marbles at the ranks of infantry from across the other side of the room.

The only use I had for airfix planes was to douse them with lighter fuel, set fire to them, launch them out of an upstairs window and watch them crash into the garden below in a lot of flames.

Don't try this at home, kids.
Last edited by Kinoulton on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

It's such a brilliant programme. Airfix used to leave me cold, a bit too like painting by numbers, but plasticine was great. I used to make little gardens using the top of a shoebox as a base, and in the other half of the shoebox I kept my dinosaur rubber collection (with 3 bunnies cos I liked them back then!) and made them clothes out of sellotape and tissues. Really lovely clothes, in my head. I bet Mr May isn't going to do that! Barbies were set fire to and tortured and scalped. They really had no other use.

Meccanno for me is like K'nex. Some little fella spends hours making this space rocket or whatever and runs up saying look it's a space rocket, and it actually just looks like a load of K'nex all stuck together and really cr@p. Can't see the point. Now the lego house is an excellent idea. Can't wait for that one.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

My kids liked Fimo, which came in different colours like plasticine but when you'd made your Fimo thing, you could bake it in the oven and it became a pot thing.

They brought out a range of Fimo in flourescent colours. The kids loved it, as did my retriever who would eat as much of it as he could and then produce flourescent dog poo.

Our lawn looked quite enchanting at night.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Littletigress

Post by Littletigress »

I really enjoyed the Airfix and the Meccano ones. :smt023

Next week sounds good but I am waiting for the Lego one. Did you know:

19 billion LEGO elements are produced every year.

2.16 million LEGO elements are molded every hour, or 36,000 per minute.

More than 400 billion LEGO bricks have been produced since 1949.

Two eight-stud LEGO bricks of the same color can be combined in 24 different ways.

Three eight-stud bricks can be combined in 1,060 ways.

There are more than 915 million combinations possible for six 2 x 4 LEGO bricks of the same color. :smt101

When my boys were young I must have cursed 100s of times when I trod on one of the blinking things. :smt003
tim15

Post by tim15 »

Hi Littletigress,

Thoroughly enjoyed last nights programme, have trawled myself to Dominoes today and bought a small box of Meccano for my 7 year old for Christmas and will be taking off him around 2pm that day!
loads to build, even the CAT stand looks obtainable to me
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
Littletigress

Post by Littletigress »

tim15 wrote:Hi Littletigress,

Thoroughly enjoyed last nights programme, have trawled myself to Dominoes today and bought a small box of Meccano for my 7 year old for Christmas and will be taking off him around 2pm that day!
loads to build, even the CAT stand looks obtainable to me
Go for it Tim, and we want to see a photo of the completed minature CAT stand! :smt003

I think it's really good to get young children using Airfix, Meccano and Lego etc. rather than spending their time on PCs etc. My eldest son used to make wonderful constructions out of Lego. He's now 30 and I still have a couple of large boxes of Lego in my garage! I am hoping to pass it on to my grandchildren in the future. :smt023