A Level Results

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A Level Results

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

BJ. wrote:Mrs Beej thinks the A* rating is coming in next year. This just proves what I've always thought, i.e. I'm ahead of my time! :smt002
But behind on you're work if you're on here again?!

Seems a ridiculous rebranding exercise- it can't be too difficult for universities to decipher the three figure number next to the grade called the mark, can it?!
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Well if they had simply kept standards constant and consistent over the years (which goes back to my original post on this thread!) then there wouldn't be any need for rebranding or adding an even higher grade in the first place!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
BJ. wrote:Mrs Beej thinks the A* rating is coming in next year. This just proves what I've always thought, i.e. I'm ahead of my time! :smt002

Seems a ridiculous rebranding exercise- it can't be too difficult for universities to decipher the three figure number next to the grade called the mark, can it?!
Except all the Universities see is the grade. If you had the time and the staff to drill down to each module for each A Level for each student, then you might get a vague idea, but you still only see the grades for each module, not the marks. And given the timescale available, is a totally impractical proposition.

And yes, Universities do have difficulty deciphering between all the A Graders. That is why some Medical Schools look at how many GCSE A* grades applicants get.

I have heard of quite a few students who have attained AAB in their subjects - traditional ones like Biology, Chemistry etc. - grades I would have been extremely proud if either of my kids had managed - but have been turned down by their first choice Uni. This doesn't make them any the worse candidates, just the unlucky ones.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Once upon a time I helped a very attractive mature student with her thesis. (My motives were plain.)

She told me the bones of her subject, of which I had no previous knowledge, and, from this I tried to construct a radical yet persuasive argument.

She handed in MY work and got the best mark out of 30+ students.

No plagiarism checker would have found this, as it was all my own work. But it wasn't hers.

Conclusion: Stick the blessed students in an exam room and see what they can do under their own steam.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

DCat wrote:
Skin_and_Muscle wrote:

Except all the Universities see is the grade. If you had the time and the staff to drill down to each module for each A Level for each student, then you might get a vague idea, but you still only see the grades for each module, not the marks. And given the timescale available, is a totally impractical proposition.
That was changed actually, my year was the first year where raw marks were used, basically a mark out of 600 (broken into 90s and 120s per module) was presented instead of grades to universities, saving a lot of trouble deciding between candidates.

Kin: That sort of opportunism is a very rare thing to come by; anyone in a place to do a thesis is usually there by merit and not just sneakiness!
A head's up though, it is proven that less attractive people are more trustworthy... in my head anyway- I've got to have one virtue going for me!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Well, Skin & Muscle, the hundreds of results that I had to look through last week certainly didn't have the marks, just the grades. Believe me, all Admissions Teams get to see is the grades.

When was your year?

Sponsored by Kleenex
100%rugbygirl
Super User
Super User

Post by 100%rugbygirl »

me2 wrote:
100%rugbygirl wrote:Is resitting a module actually any different to a teacher reading through a piece of coursework and telling you how best to improve it to get it to an A grade? Personally I dont think so.

Maybe not, but then I also think that teachers reading through your coursework & telling you how to improve it should also not be allowed.

It is, afterall, supposed to be your own work, not yours & your teacher's combined efforts!
At the same time, in my experience teachers arent telling you what to write, more asking you questions to get you to think about another line of discussion or a different way of presenting it or simply placing a question mark by areas that need improving, it is then up to the student themselves to go away and do the work! Which personally I think says more about the students ambition and determination to do well than anything else.

Grades do only show so much, but as do marks, yes they will help to make a choice of whether to take the higher A grade student or the student who scraped the A grade but they tell you nothing about the student themselves, much like a 4000 character personal statement can only give a snap shot of the student, which is why more and more universities interview, which i think is probably the only way the best students that are most suited to the course at that university.
I know interviews provoke the same reaction as exams do, they do for me as well, but not only do they provide "real world experience" as it sometimes is the first interview people have had (as was the experience with some of my friends) but the lecturers who interview know what non academic qualities they are looking for, which are probably more important than exam results in my opinion anyway.
My boyfriend or rugby?

What times kick off?
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Totally with Kinoulton on this one.

It's down to what has been gathered in 2 years study and is explored by a 'dip test' on what you know. Therefore you have to have studied the whole sillybus.

Mr and Mrs BJ are also right in my humble opinion, irrespective of where we all live. P.S. I know that 'sillybus' is poor grammar'.

So much of this thread backs my 'airheads charter'.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

DCat wrote:Well, Skin & Muscle, the hundreds of results that I had to look through last week certainly didn't have the marks, just the grades. Believe me, all Admissions Teams get to see is the grades.

When was your year?
2007, my old law tutor was a senior examiner and he was telling us that universities will now be able to differentiate between a "good" a and a "normal" a. Maybe it was a ploy to get us to work harder!
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Kinoulton wrote:Once upon a time I helped a very attractive mature student with her thesis. (My motives were plain.)

She told me the bones of her subject, of which I had no previous knowledge, and, from this I tried to construct a radical yet persuasive argument.

She handed in MY work and got the best mark out of 30+ students.

No plagiarism checker would have found this, as it was all my own work. But it wasn't hers.

Conclusion: Stick the blessed students in an exam room and see what they can do under their own steam.
Kinny that's very naughty, i hope she was worth it! :smt054
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
DCat wrote:Well, Skin & Muscle, the hundreds of results that I had to look through last week certainly didn't have the marks, just the grades. Believe me, all Admissions Teams get to see is the grades.

When was your year?
2007, my old law tutor was a senior examiner and he was telling us that universities will now be able to differentiate between a "good" a and a "normal" a. Maybe it was a ploy to get us to work harder!
Could well have been - some of those lecturers can be crafty sods.

Sponsored by Kleenex
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

DCat wrote:Could well have been - some of those lecturers can be crafty sods.
Absolutely! Worked for me though!
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Don't know if this is really the right place to post this but it comes under results, I am of course talking about GCSE's. For nayone who is interested I got 4 A's 8 B's and the one C which I am thrilled with, so now off to Rochester Girls Grammar School :smt003
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Well done Ben!! :smt023
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member