Techy computer query

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Techy computer query

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Afternoon all,

I wondered if I could pick your brains? I know that a number of your are involved in local rugby and wondered if any of you use the RFU's RugbyFirst system. I am having problems editting pages on it. I have one computer which works fine running XP Home and IE7 but the other computers I have XP Pro with IE7 and Vista with IE7 both report script errors if I select the edit function.

Sadly the XP Home system is showing signs of failing now and I am concerned that I won't be able to up-date the system. I have tried asking the RFU but they tell me the problem lies with my computer - which I sort of knew anyway :smt011

Any help would be brilliant.

Cheers
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
Rizzo

Re: Techy computer query

Post by Rizzo »

Sorry, Spike, can't help you myself I'm afraid - hope you get it sorted soon.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

You lost me at "computer".
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Have you tried asking on the RFU community forum? I expect a higher proportion of them will be RugbyFirst users and more likely to have come across (and hopefully solved) this problem.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

cheers everyone

- I have asked on the RFU forums and nothing so far.

Have to hope the old computer can be repaired and encouraged to work.....I'd have to stop encouraging it with a hammer!!! :smt024 :smt072
SPIKE

kricher192

Post by kricher192 »

Sorry to storm your parade but if you want to save that particular computer, you will most likely need to replace the motherboard and cpu. Otherwise would it be impossible to get hold of a disc with xp home on it and loading it on your vista machine. On vista you can run two os's on the same computer.

Sorry to bring geek talk into it but it had to be done.
Forwards win games , Backs decide by how much
sjwoodman

Post by sjwoodman »

Spike,

The first thing I would try is using Firefox instead of IE. You can downlaod it from here: http://www.getfirefox.net/ Creating websites that work across different browsers is difficult and IE is the worst of the lot as it isn't very standards compliant (although IE8 is *better*).

With respect to your computer that is 'failing', if it's a hardware problem you should be able to replace the part that is failing pretty cheaply. If it's software (and I suspect it is as hardware failures tend to be permanent) then a re-install of Windows may well solve your problems. If you've still got the XP disc then this is very easy. If not, there may be a copy hidden on the PC which you can do a reinstall from. If you need any help, respond or PM me.
sjwoodman

Post by sjwoodman »

Spike,

The first thing I would try is using Firefox instead of IE. You can downlaod it from here: http://www.getfirefox.net/ Creating websites that work across different browsers is difficult and IE is the worst of the lot as it isn't very standards compliant (although IE8 is *better*).

With respect to your computer that is 'failing', if it's a hardware problem you should be able to replace the part that is failing pretty cheaply. If it's software (and I suspect it is as hardware failures tend to be permanent) then a re-install of Windows may well solve your problems. If you've still got the XP disc then this is very easy. If not, there may be a copy hidden on the PC which you can do a reinstall from. If you need any help, respond or PM me.
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Thanks for that - i think the computer is failing due to software problems (and a very dodgy keyboard but that's easily fixed). I ran some registery cleaning software over the weekend and found and fixed upwards of 2000 issues.......

It does seem to be much better now. I will try firefox this week to see if I can get round whatever security issues there are - i did turn off the pop up blocker and this let me work the site once but now even doing this has no effect. However it does prove that it is a security / settings issue somewhere.

Thanks for your help.
SPIKE

DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

kricher192 wrote:Sorry to storm your parade but if you want to save that particular computer, you will most likely need to replace the motherboard and cpu. Otherwise would it be impossible to get hold of a disc with xp home on it and loading it on your vista machine. On vista you can run two os's on the same computer.

Sorry to bring geek talk into it but it had to be done.
I'm pretty sure I had a conversation with one of my colleagues the other week who said he had put XP on a vista machine. It did take 11 hours for the computer to sort it all though!
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
sjwoodman

Post by sjwoodman »

DCat wrote: I'm pretty sure I had a conversation with one of my colleagues the other week who said he had put XP on a vista machine. It did take 11 hours for the computer to sort it all though!
You can put XP on a machine that comes with Vista. It will install as normal, the major headache is drivers, particularly if that machine is a laptop. Many drivers are available assuming you can find the exact hardware that's in your machine, it just takes time searching and trying different ones.