Maths help please...

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Maths help please...

Post by Dave W »

The brain definitely isn't what it used to be but my 9 year old has been given a maths probabilty question and he and I are both struggling but I'm not sure if he has not been given the full question, here goes:

In a multipack of crisps there's a 7 in 10 chance of getting roast chicken, 1 in 5 of getting salt and vinegar therefore what is the proabability of getting ready salted? I'm thinking he should've been told the total in the bag originally - any shouts greatly appreciated?
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Dave,

Have sent you a PM
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Dave W wrote: "The brain definitely isn't what it used to be but my 9 year old has been given a maths probabilty question and he and I are both struggling but I'm not sure if he has not been given the full question, here goes:

In a multipack of crisps there's a 7 in 10 chance of getting roast chicken, 1 in 5 of getting salt and vinegar therefore what is the probability of getting ready salted? I'm thinking he should've been told the total in the bag originally - any shouts greatly appreciated?"

I think that there is at least one piece of information missing: I assume that the multipack only contains Roast Chicken, Salt & Vinegar and Ready Salted. If so to get to the answer you have to consider that the total probability is 10/10 so if there is a 7/10 chance of chicken and 1/5 ( which is the same as 2/10) of getting Salt & Vinegar then that only leaves 10 – 7 – 2 = 1/10 chance of getting Ready Salted. You don't actually need the number of bags in the multipack.

Have been on the Guinness, but I think that’s right!
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

cheers chaps, stupidly I was adding the 10 and the 5 with 8 accounted for and came up with 7 but knew it wasn't right. And I haven't been drinking, oh dear!
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

If that was the question the child was given, it doesn't strike me as a reasonable sort of question for a 9-year old to be given. At that age I would have thought that the total number of packs would have been useful.

Having said that, good answer Tyzot!
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Lord Harbinger of Doom
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Lord Harbinger of Doom »

It's a perfectly reasonable maths question for a 9 year old but you are right that one piece of information was missing:

He needed to be told that there were only 3 flavours in the multipack, thus leaving only one variable.

Without that bit of info he could assume that the multipack also included cheese & onion & therefore, with two variables no definitive answer could be given.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

To paraphrase Mr Groucho Marx, "This is so simple a child of 9 could understand it. Someone send for a child of 9!" :smt002
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".