Toys you'd wished you kept

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tim15

Toys you'd wished you kept

Post by tim15 »

Hi all,

Have just seen an old Buster annual on sale for £20!!! in a local shop, wish i had kept mine. :smt022

My wife had a raleigh chopper and her father threw her's away and now Halfords are flogging them again for £200!!

Just wondered if there were any of your toys that you wish you'd kept, we might have all been rich
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I still have a lot of my original Star Wars characters and vehicles (from the first time round). Last time I valued the collection up, admittedly several years ago now (the bottom has probably dropped out oft eh market since George Lucas ruined the franchise with the last 3 movies), it was worth about £100.

On a personal level, I wish I had kept my Lego. Not to sell, just to play with. You are never too old to play with Lego (I'll be 30 next year).
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Former Prop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Former Prop »

I wish I'd kept my Star Wars items too. Between my brother and I we had loads of stuff including the Millenium Falcon and the AT - AT (sp ?).

I also wish I had kept my Beano annuals - oh hang on , I did - well some of them anyway. :emb:
Our period of waiting is over - this is the time.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I have still got my first Barbie doll, the 1960's look version with clothes and shoes, plus my first "talking" Barbie (actually, it's Barbie's friend PJ) where you pulled a cord in the doll's back. Both are - sadly - much-loved and much-played-with, so although I have the clothes and shoes, the talking one no longer talks, and they both looked rather the worse for wear. Never mind, I had hours of games with them, and then my daughter inherited them from me!

I do, however, have a Sheena doll with "hair that grows!" and all the accessories including 1970s pucci-style jumpsuit and little hair curlers etc, in the original box, and it still works. I have never had it valued though.

Husband says he wishes he had not done a home paint job on all the Dinky cars!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Doesn't much matter what I kept as all my toys got trashed.

With soldiers I would recreate various battles with soldiers being mown down by high velocity marbles and then set alight with paper air planes coated in lighter fuel.

Cars took part in spectacular crashes on the garage roof which resulted in several taking an eight foot plunge onto the concrete yard.

My toys were definitely not for the showcase.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Do you know what is bugging me at the moment. That :censored: Tonka ad. I always wanted a Tonka that I could sit on, but it was a boys toy so I wasn't taken seriously. And now there's this really sexist advert on the telly going on about how boys are different and they should get Tonkas. Well I WANTED A :censored: TONKA and I am not a boy. :smt013

So if I'd have got a Tonka I'd have wished I'd have kept it. But you may be sensing that I didn't. I did get the odd doll and I used to like torturing them. I can't see the fun in a doll unless you can torture it? With you on that Kin.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

wish i'd kept my ZX spectrum, we used to play it for hours on end especially jetpac and fishing....(is this classed as a toy???).
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
tim15

toys you wish you'd kept

Post by tim15 »

Yes ZX spectrum are in, and ZX81's definately, i spent 2 hours getting frogger to load once and gave up!

As for lego, get a friend with a kid and buy them some then make occasional "pop in" visits to interact (it's the new buzz word) and have a go.

I did this with my nephew and now i've been told i can only play with it under his supervision and he's 8!!! :smt003

In the leicestershire museum shops they have a 1970's book it cost around £15-16 pounds so haven't bought it but the toys, crisps, chocolate and books would give you all a world of nostalgia and block this forum up.

They also do the books friom the 50's and 60's but i wouldn't be so assumptious as to suggest there relevance to anyone other than Bill W :smt002
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Kinoulton wrote:My toys were definitely not for the showcase.

As it should be too. Toys are to be played with.

In terms of computers I still have, and occasionally still play on, a Sega Master system, a Sega Megadrive, a Nintendo SNES, a Nintendo 64 and a Sony Playstation 1. These are of course in addition to my XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii and PC. I may be a little nerdy.
John
---
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Westy, I notice you're missing the original NES off that list. I'm pleased to say, I have mine boxed up but in working order.

It's stored next to my Amiga 500. Now that was a computer!
It's only cheating if you get caught.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I am missing the NES from the list, and if I ever see one cheap I'll grab it. I like to find these things in shops where people aren't entirely sure what a gem they've got.

I found a speccy 128 the other year, but there were too many problems with it and I coudn't salvage it. :smt022

Amigas were a hell of a machine. If I could find one for the right price, I would quite like a C64.

Of course the Atari 2600 (especially the model with the wood panelling) is another on the wish list...
John
---
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Well keep your eyes peeled for copies of Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder if you decide to hunt down an Amiga sometime!

<<<Joins the nerd club.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Are there any other reasons to own an Amiga? War; never been so much fun. :smt023
John
---
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

[quote="cornish tigress"]Do you know what is bugging me at the moment. That :censored: Tonka ad. I always wanted a Tonka that I could sit on, but it was a boys toy so I wasn't taken seriously. quote]

This might be a silly question but what a Tonka? :smt017
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Tonka are a make of toys, like big dumper trucks, diggers and so on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Halsall-I ... B00000IVZX

Allegedly indestructible.

Which is how the drummer in my mate's band got his nickname of Tonka!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother