North Africans boo French anthem

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

North Africans boo French anthem

Post by Kinoulton »

See article below. It's interesting how furious the French are. I can't help thinking that if this was England, the pc mob would just ban our anthem on the grounds that it was upsetting to a minority.

Leading political figures reacted with shock and anger after France's national anthem was booed in Tuesday's friendly win over Tunisia.

Two goals from Thierry Henry gave coach Raymond Domenech a much needed boost in cementing a 3-1 win in Paris.

But the booing and whistling by some in the crowd - many of them Tunisian - as the French anthem was played infuriated France's political establishment.

President Nicolas Sarkozy has demanded an investigation into the matter.

President Sarkozy's aides said he had summoned French Football Federation president Jean-Pierre Escalettes following the "scandalous incidents which occurred at the Stade de France."

Sports Minister Bernard Laporte has suggested that France no longer play friendlies against Maghreb region countries.

There have been similar problems in recent years in matches against Algeria and Morocco.

Friendlies against North African sides traditionally attract widespread support from sizeable immigrant communities in and around the French capital.

Some booed when the names of the French players were read out over the PA system before kickoff, reaching a crescendo for Hatem Ben Arfa, born in France to Tunisian parents.

Arfa opted to play for the country of his birth despite overtures from the Tunisian Federation.

French Prime Minister François Fillon said the booing was "insulting" and that in the event of a repeat it would be necessary "to call off matches."

"It's insulting for France, it's insulting for the players of the French team, it should not be tolerated," Fillon said.

"I think we should stop the matches when the anthems, whichever they are, are booed."
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!