What are you reading?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

What are you reading?

Post by Rizzo »

As a little light-hearted discussion, what are you currently reading? Would you recommend it?

Me, I've just finished Bill Oddie's autobiography (definitely darker than you'd expect from a comedy type person, and definitely not a bird book!). Not sure I'd recommend it though, especially if you are looking for something light and uplifting to read!

I'm just starting the fifth in the Michelle Paver Torak series of books about pre-history, the previous four have been great so really looking forward to this one.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

I'm currently reading 'United We Fall', written by former Leeds United FC chairman Peter Risdale about his time with the club.

I am also in the (very drawn out) process of reading 'Hitler's Second Book', the less-than-catchy titled follow-up to 'Mein Kampf', which is all about German foreign policy during the Nazi years.

So basically, I'm reading one by a universally-disliked, jumed-up, power-crazy dictator - and another by Adolf Hitler. :smt023
It's only cheating if you get caught.
chandler262827
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chandler262827 »

:smt005

Last night I finished 'High Fidelity' by Nick Hornby and have thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

I've now started 'The Crow Road' by Iain Banks which surely opens with the best first line of any book, "It was the day my grandmother exploded"!
---------
I'm not completely worthless, I can be used as a bad example.

Tom
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

I think I'm in a different league to you all...

..currently I am re-reading Jilly Coopers Rivals (after finishing re-reading Riders). :smt003

I love a good romance book - can you really go wrong with a boy meets girl story (well apart from Mills and Boon)?
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Recently finished Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs.

Believe it or not, when I can't sleep I read a few more pages of War and Peace.

If I want a good laugh I rifle through 'Do Ants Have Ar...oles'
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Suz wrote:I think I'm in a different league to you all...

..currently I am re-reading Jilly Coopers Rivals (after finishing re-reading Riders). :smt003

I love a good romance book - can you really go wrong with a boy meets girl story (well apart from Mills and Boon)?
No you're not Suz, because everyone likes different stuff and the nice thing about this kind of thread is finding out who likes what and maybe picking up recommendations. I've read most of the Jilly Cooper books in the past, along with Georgette Heyer's Regency romances and Victoria Holt's suspense romances. I was introduced to the Diana Gabaldon books about a year and a half ago, and have loved them since the first one. I also read Lord of the Rings at least once every year and have done since I was about 17.

My husband is currently moaning about our bookshelves being crammed to bursting again :smt003
Demelza - another Mother
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I'm off to Mexico and visiting Teotihuacan soon so I'm re-reading 'Fingerprints of the gods' my Graham Hancock. not sure if his hypothesis is right but it really makes you look at pyramids in a different way.

can also recommned Colleen McCollough - am now onto her 7th book of Roman history. this one is Antony and Cleopatra. brilliant series.

and I've just finished Dark fire by C J Sansom. read Dissolution a couple of years ago and liked it so followed it up with the one. A sort of Tudor thriller, with a lawyer playing the good guy.
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Am reading "Lost in a Good Book", Jasper Fforde, having just finished his "The Jane Eyre Affair" first in the series. Very silly and you don't have to be a literary genius to get the plot, but if you have read the original books it does make it funnier.

It's a bit like the Lost in Austen kind of thing on the telly at the mo but with futuristic detectives and really bad pun type names. Recommend to anyone who hasn't really grown up yet. :smt001
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Just finishing up The Good Bones by Alice Sebold, and is a very enjoyable book it has been.

Quite harrowing but ultimately rewarding, it's about the death of a 14 year old girl and the effect it has on her family, friends and neighbourhood. It is told from the dead girl's perspective as she looks on from heaven which sounds odd, but actually isn't.

I would thoroughly recommend it.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

westy154 wrote:Just finishing up The Good Bones by Alice Sebold, and is a very enjoyable book it has been.

Quite harrowing but ultimately rewarding, it's about the death of a 14 year old girl and the effect it has on her family, friends and neighbourhood. It is told from the dead girl's perspective as she looks on from heaven which sounds odd, but actually isn't.

I read that a couple of years ago - couldn't really get into it, I'm afraid, but as Rizzo said, we're all different.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Just re-read the first Christopher Brookmyre - Quite Ugly One Morning - which I bought in Waterstones years ago purely on the strength of the opening two words - "Jesus ****". I do like a good swearie. Also been re-reading The Narrow Ground by ATQ Stewart, which is a masterly exposition of Ulster history, but sadly lacking in the salty language.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

westy154 wrote:Just finishing up The Good Bones by Alice Sebold, and is a very enjoyable book it has been.

Isn't it called The Lovely Bones? if so, I have read it, found it very dark though.
Demelza - another Mother
The Cat

Post by The Cat »

I'm currently reading 2 books ..... Lord of the Rings ; which is quite a heavy read , I'm glad I've seen the films first , in order to help me remember who all the characters are .

For light reading I'm currently working my way through Johnno's autobiography ; which I'm sure you've all read .
Lancastrian by birth, a Sandgrounder by the grace of God