Places to eat

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DCat
Super User
Super User

Places to eat

Post by DCat »

Having recently returned from time in other parts of the country, I thought it might be useful if we could recommend places to eat to each other if we ever go there (does that make sense?)

1. The George at Fordingbridge. Excellent food, although not cheap, in a classy restaurant. Beautiful view over the Avon.

2. The Station at Appleby. About 50 yds from Appleby railway station (useful if you're doing the Settle-Carlisle). The hideously ugly decor (including a burgundy coloured ladies cludgie) belies good, cheap food, home made chips with real potatoes, and a drop of Thwaites to warm the soul.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Alatoruk

canterbury

Post by Alatoruk »

chopsticks @ hersden. Although it is "all you can eat" they do this with dishes brought to your table (not the old cheapo buffet job) and this is one of the best chinese resturants I have been to (apart from the Royal Chequers on the A6 - if it's still there).

Marlows @ Canterbury. A wonderful "rustic" bistro that serves wonderful food.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

A bit more local…

…a little while back somebody put a link to an Everards review pubs for vouchers offer. On the back of this we took H to The Old Bulls Head at Broughton Astley earlier this week. Three excellent meals and the vouchers make it super value as well.

http://me2.everards.co.uk/

Enjoy.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

The Harbour Inn, Southwold. Right on the harbour, fresh fish and chips and great beer.

If you just want the fish & chips, there's also a small hut further down Blackshore where they have fish so fresh it's almost still wriggling.

In Leicester - The Taj Mahal on Highfield Street, still the best.

Debbie, I was slightly worried when first reading your post - as I thought it said "places to eat each other"....
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

That reminds me of the old joke about the vegetarian cannibal who ate baked beings.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

If you ever on the road to Bridlington / Scarborough then stop off at Brandesburton.

A really good fish & chip shop. Fresh haddock and chips. You can eat in, but I'd suggest taking out and sitting by the monument.

Or go in the Black Swan. Normal pub food but it's all cooked by the landlord and he sure knows what he's doing.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Dcat..

Alternative brekkie,

Boiled heads and shredded feet.
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Round us, Gidleigh Park at Chagford. Michael Caines is the chef and it is very good, beautiful parkland setting. Not cheap.
and "15" at Watergate Bay Newquay. Jamie Oliver's 'experiment'. Really great food and great view of the sea. Not cheap.
Hayloft on the A38 near Liskeard, loads of specials, reasonable prices

Far afield (well, for me...)
That Thai place on the London Road, Leicester was really yummy. Can't remember the name. Reasonable prices.
Peat Inn, Fife. David Wilson is the chef and his taster menu is the best meal I have ever had. Not cheap.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Tas Pide near Shakespeare's Globe, if you're ever down that way. great for a group, Anatolian (Turkish) style food, good price, the house wine is fine. and the loos are lovely!
Former Prop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Former Prop »

A couple more local ones:

The White Horse at Broughton Astley, 2 for 1 (I think all the time) but a bit more exciting than your usual 2 for 1 menu. The chicken and stilton is gorgeous. Also, doesn't matter how busy it is, you never seem to have to wait to long.

The Shires at Peatling Parva, superb carvery (certain nights) in a relaxed atmosphere, definately fills you up. And I know at least one Tiger who has been known to eat there, So if its good enough for him, its good enough for us !
Our period of waiting is over - this is the time.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I spent the weekend in London and was amazed to discover that they had branches of Subway and McDonalds! I thought they were local companies... :smt002
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".