smokers outside pubs

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

smokers outside pubs

Post by madoqua »

I don't smoke.

I grew up in a family of smokers and it doesn't bother me.

Ever noticed though when you drive past a pub that the folks outside having a drag are often the types you wouldn't want to mix with?

Wonder why?
Headers
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Headers »

Went out for a meal last night to the Cedars in Eventon village and felt intimidated by the cancer stick holders out side the place,we where not made to feel welcome until you are inside,it should be baned completely form pubs . And do not tell me that it will affect trade because the place was heaving with families enjoying a wonderful summers night
is growing bonsai a big thing
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Oh please !!....and soon no talking and no breathing in public !!
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Oooooooooooohhhh tetchy!!

More anti social weed needed.

Breathing should been banned cos it smells.

Smokers should be encased in fire-proof bubble wrap.
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

BelperJon wrote

the next time you need medical attention on the NHS (which I hope won’t be for a long time), part of that will be paid for by tobacco tax.

Well if there was no smoking & no tobacco tax, they would still find another tax to help pay for medical attention on the nhs, plus smoking causes a lot of people to seek medical attention on the nhs in the first place.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

For crying out loud. I am a smoker. I know it is bad for me, I know its a stupid habit, but hey I bowed to peer pressure at 15 and got addicted.

The smoking ban came in. I didn't particularly mind. I don't wish to force others to inhale my smoke. So I cheerfully accepted that I would now have to go outside. No smoker really complained, and nobody flouts it.

We are happy to stand out of the way so people don't get inconvenienced. Yet clearly even that isn't enough persecution!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

I think there needs to some sort of exclusion zone around the doors to pubs. Often it is a bit intimidating to have to bash your way through a pile of smokers just to get in. In some venues though that would be very hard particularly in town centres.

I agree BJ about the never a non smoker thing. I gave up 22 years ago and I still think of myself as a smoker who isn't at the moment.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

I agree that some smokers don't fit the football shirt wearing, fat gutted, spitting types one often sees outside pubs.

I just don't understand why so many intelligent and articulate peeps get into such a silly and deadly habit.

I also don't understand drug taking and drinking ones self into a stupor.

Perhaps I'm just thick.
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

http://www.tigers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16944

:smt017

Different topic title but more or less the same.
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

westwinds31 wrote:Oh please !!....and soon no talking and no breathing in public !!

You mean you want smokers to be able to breathe?

Dangerous radical, you are. :smt002
jonesy7

Post by jonesy7 »

In the summer people complain its too hot.
In the winter people complan its too cold.

People indoors complain when smokers smoke indoors.
People outside complain when smokers smoke outside.

:D
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

BelperJon wrote:As for smoking causing people to seek medical attention on the NHS in the first place, I do not deny this but I would be interested to see definitive figures on how much it costs the NHS to treat smoking-related problems compared to how much it receives directly from tobacco tax.
There are different figures floating around, but there is no doubt that HMRC receives far more revenue from tobacco products than the NHS spends on smoking related illnesses. The ratio is probably around 6:1, although there are some arguments at the margins.

But this is far too narrow a definition of cost. It does not include lost production to the UK economy, subsidies to tobacco growers, fires and accidents and other social costs. Even leaving aside the emotional cost of tobacco addiction.

Focussing on tax v NHS spend is only looking at a very small part of the overall issue. Its probably impossible to put an accurate number on the 'total' cost of smoking, but it may well dwarf the £10-12B it raises in revenue.
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

Lies
Damn Lies
& Statistics

:smt018

Some people obviously need to find a better quality of pub :smt023
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Trout 63 wrote:Lies
Damn Lies
& Statistics

:smt018
I agree. Which is why the debate shouldn't really be about cost/revenue.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

If non-smokers have to be so bl**dy intolerant then I think I'll take up the deadly weed just so that I'm not counted amongst these whingers.

I don't like noisy children in pubs, or people who eat messily, or talk too loudly on their mobiles, or stubbornly refuse to leave their "spot" at the bar even though they can see they are in the way of people trying to get served.

I don't like non-drinking teenagers who just hang around fruit machines looking sullen. I don't like old people who spend 50 or 60 minutes dithering over their food order whilst the barmaid could have poured my pint in 10 seconds, but I'm still waiting.

Let's chuck them all out with the smokers and I'll have just the pub I want, all to myself
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!