smokers outside pubs

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

Absolutely.

Vast majority of pubs around the vale villages are struggling. I admit that the ban isn't the only part of that equation.
But the ban has had an effect here and elsewhere. Families enjoying a wonderful summers night is wonderful, but only likely to happen a couple of times each month/summer depending on finances.
Good ol' fashioned pub regulars, propping the bar up 6 or 7 nights a week, are becoming a rare sight.
There are fewer and fewer real 'Freehouses' these days. The majority of pubs are now owned by 'pub groups'. With a decline in the profits that these companies make from supplies into the pubs, more and more are putting up the rentals that they charge.
Consequence ... more and more pubs available on the market, and even worse, closing down.
There has never been an easier time to get into the pub trade.
There has never been a worse time to get into the pub trade.

A slightly brief and simplistic view. But valid all the same.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The pubs in the Vale are in a right mess. Of the two I used to frequent, one is closed and the other is going to the dogs.

The bingo halls are suffering too, apparently. Obviously whilst playing bingo you can't just nip out for a fag, so people are not bothering to go at all.

I know bingo will not be a great loss to our cultural heritage. Though I do have fond memories of winning a teddy bear at bingo on holiday in Chapel St Leonards!
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Having had my pro-tolerance rant earlier, there is one thing that bothers me about smokers that I think they don't realise.

When you go out for a fag, and then come back in, you really smell badly of stale smoke.

It's the worst of all worlds, really.
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Can't back this up but I bet smoking kills more than drink driving, and the latter is a social no no.

Suspect that smokers will be looked back on in the year 2200 as very silly.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Falling out of bed kills more people than drink driving.

Statistically, smoking is a massive massive killer.

But the people who smoke know this, and they know they should give up. But it's an addiction. Therefore I don't think they should be persecuted.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Very liberal of you Kinoulton.
Do you adopt the same liberal approach for all drug addicts?
(Not necessarily disagreeing, just asking the question)
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

h's dad wrote:
Do you adopt the same liberal approach for all drug addicts?
(Not necessarily disagreeing, just asking the question)

There is of course one big difference.

'Drugs' are illegal.

Then again, it could be said that tobacco / nicotine (like alcohol and caffeine) are drugs of a sort as they are so addictive.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

The legality is a small difference.
Lying on the wrong side of a ruck is illegal – it happens
Speeding is illegal – it happens

To call tobacco “drugs of a sort” is to completely misstate the case. It’s an addictive drug with consequences similar or worse than certain illegal drugs.

I try to look at it from a moral and social perspective rather than with a politically and tax driven outlook although I do thank smokers for keeping my tax burden down.
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

I'd like to say 'going to prison for selling drugs' is a big differance from being a tobacconist.

However these days ... :smt017

To call tobacco “drugs of a sort” is to completely misstate the case.
You should probably take the sentance as a whole to get it's full meaning. :smt002

Some would argue that speed is a drug.
Indeed, 'It’s an addictive drug with consequences similar or worse than certain illegal drugs.'
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Trout 63 wrote
I'd like to say 'going to prison for selling drugs' is a big differance from being a tobacconist.

Perhaps tobacconists should go to prison? Or perhaps tobacconists should be licensed to sell currently illegal drugs with lots of tax on them?

What's illegal today may be legal tomorrow and vice verse. The law doesn't make anything more right or wrong. Isn't it still legal to shoot Scotsmen in York with a bow and arrow on Wednesdays or something?

Some would argue that speed is a drug. - Fair comment
triage

Post by triage »

I am an ex smoker....however i disagree with the ban.

previously if i wanted to go into a smoky atmosphere i had a choice....now when i am walking down the street my choice has been taken away as 30 people stand on the pavement puffing away.......you have people saying "I had to go into the pub because my friend smokes"....now they stand outside in the rain with their friends.....lets move smoking back indoors but give incentives to pubs that go non smoking...that way people have a choice....smoking or non smoking. what next....will we ban drinking alcohol in pubs?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein 1879-1955
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

h's dad wrote:
Isn't it still legal to shoot Scotsmen in York with a bow and arrow on Wednesdays or something?
Really!!!

Now if you'd just exchange the word "Scotsmen " for "Taffy", I'd pack my bags and move :smt063

With apologies to Pam and her fellow Welshmen :smt054
triage

Post by triage »

Trout 63 wrote:
h's dad wrote:
Isn't it still legal to shoot Scotsmen in York with a bow and arrow on Wednesdays or something?
Really!!!

Now if you'd just exchange the word "Scotsmen " for "Taffy", I'd pack my bags and move :smt063

With apologies to Pam and her fellow Welshmen :smt054

it is still legal in hereford to kill welsh men as well...so maybe you should move more towards gods country
:smt002
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein 1879-1955
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

I spent 3 and a bit years living and working in the North Pennines in Cumbria and was told by a good friend of mine up there that that was / is 'God's Country'
:smt017
I'm confused.

Besides I prefer North Yorkshire Moors or North Pennines to Herefordshire and or the part of Wales outside Snowdonia!!!
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Well, flippin 'ec.

I haven't mentioned the Welsh for ages but somehow my smoking thread has gotten round to them.

It's a conspiracy from t'tother side of Offa's Dyke.