superbowl XLII

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

captain_insaino
Gold Member
Gold Member

superbowl XLII

Post by captain_insaino »

Just commenting on how awesome i thought the superbowl was, best one in ages. Never thought the Giants were going to score with two minutes to go, but the patriots offensive line practically handed brady to the giants pass rush on a plate, then giving them tha game as well!
:smt001 :smt002 :lol:
TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Captain sir, I agree and was lucky enough to watch it in downtown Annapolis in Maryland, with several beers and some really hot wings !!! It really was one of "those" games, on the one hand, it would have been great to see Brady and the Patriots win and have a complete season, but on the other hand, an underdog win was just as feasible, as it turned out.

On Monday and Tuesday, ESPN's coverage picked out the great final play by Eli Manning, especially that great play when it looked as though he'd been tackled, but shrugged 3 or so players off and then fired a complete pass to the outstreched receiver.

As you say, great game.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Manning was good but shouldnt have been MVP - the Giants Linebacker stopped 5 potential touch downds by himself - he should feel robbed.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Tuck, or possibly Strahan was the game MVP, but QBs nearly always get it, and after that last drive it was inevitable.

Best Superbowl since the Patriots upset the Rams in 2001. I was absolutely gutted for the Pats who I really admire and really wanted to see complete the perfect season, but no one can deny that the Giants played one of the finest games in Superbowl history.

I don't know quite how they managed it, but the way the Giants D decimated the Patriot Offencive line was nothing sort of incredible. No QB, no matter how good he is, could live behind a line that collapsed more often than Janet Jacksons clothes.

A fantastic game of football. It will live long in the memory.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Agree with all of the above, terrific match. 'That' play when Manning avoided the sack to fire the completed pass to the outstretched receiver may well be the sporting moment of 2008.

What chance another Manning MVP next season? Who'd have thought we'd ever see brothers sharing MVP honours for two years running.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

It's odd to think that the brothers have the same number of rings!

Eli is growing as a player (matured incredibly over the course of the playoffs) and will continue to get better. Peyton will go down as one of the games great minds.

Archie must be one proud Dad!
John
---
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Daily, the sporting moment of 2008 will happen in October when the mighty Red Sox retain the World Series !! :smt003
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I can't wait for the new American owners at Anfield rename the team The Mersey Red Sox.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

The sporting moment of 2009 however will be when the once mighty 49ers stun the world by going unbeaten to the Superbowl, and beating the Miami Dolphins in the big game with a triple end around 80 yard play as time expires.

What? It could happen.
John
---
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

What amazes me is how the Giants offensive line - possibly (though not statistically) one of the worst in the NFL held up agaisnt the absolute force of the Pats offensive line... great underated play by them.

and the barely ever give a defensive player MVP...shame really.

Colts for super bowl 43! :smt003
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

No, Niners and Dolphins for Superbowl 43!

I wish I supported a better team than the Niners, because then the prediction might actually have some merit!
John
---
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

atleast i supported colts when they were rubbish - at school everyone supports Pats because they won the superbowl when everyone got interested.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Yeah, careful about that one Kornboy. When I started watching the sport, the 49ers were the best team around. Now look at the dross I'm left with!

:smt001
John
---
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

I obviously don't follow Football as much as you lot on here. But many years ago I decided that if I were to follow anyone, it would have to be one of the California Teams ...

San Francisco / San Diego ....

Ummm ... still not sure whether to go south or north ...

Though in terms of success, it's largely irrelevant these days :smt002
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

westy154 wrote:Yeah, careful about that one Kornboy. When I started watching the sport, the 49ers were the best team around. Now look at the dross I'm left with!

:smt001
well i started with the dross that was the colts of '01 and now i have arguably the best team :smt003