Are "Spontaneous" Programmes Rehearsed

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Are "Spontaneous" Programmes Rehearsed

Post by Kinoulton »

I think a lot of the wit and charm has gone out of "Comedy Quiz" programmes as the panel seem to know what questions are coming up and have their polished answers ready.

In my view:

Whose Line Is It Anyway. - Used to be hilarious but now utterly wrecked by being over-rehearsed.

They Think It's All Over - Killed by over-rehearsing, especially Jonathan Ross's tedious monologues and the pretence that they didn't know who the Feel The Sportsman was.

Mock The Week - Funny, but 100% rehearsed and scripted.

Never Mind The Buzzcocks - They've obviously had time to study the bits of video footage at great length, but quite "off the cuff" apart from that.

QI - Seems completely fresh and off the cuff. Hurrah!
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
JonJon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JonJon »

What about Have I Got News For You? Always funny, but I'm sure there was a semi scandal some years ago about them knowing the questions beforehand.

But, better scripted and funny than spontaneous and not. I can't believe how dire 'Thank God You're Here' is, unbelievable for something with Paul Merton to be so drab. Makes me wish for the halcyon days of Terry & June, oh how we used to laugh.
Some dodgy cod philosophy
From an old punk song
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Whose Line Is It Anyway. - Hasn't been proper improv for years, and the whole thing fails if it isn't off the cuff improv.

They Think It's All Over - utterly boring now, lolst something when Nick thingy went, now I never watch it.

Mock The Week - Maybe scripted but still worth watching, and if you don't mind a lot of swearing and rudeness, the DVD of out-takes and extras is well worth seeing. (Nuts on the Road nim nim nim!)

Never Mind The Buzzcocks - Depends heavily on whether or not the guests "get" it. Sometimes feels too rehearsed, and I don't like Simon Amstell at all.

QI - May well be slightly scripted but in general doesn't appear to be over-planned, still a pleasure to watch.

I think in general I agree, Kinny.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Kin, Never Mind The Buzzcocks don't claim to be entirely improv. Simon Amstell's parts are all rehearsed, he even mentioned the fact that he reads the autocue a few times during shows that I've spotted.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

As Rizzo alludes to, the Mock the Week DVD extras show that there is no way that the whole programme is scripted!

A lot of these quiz shows are not "scripted" but rather the panelists are given previews of some of the topics, pictures etc in order to pre-prepare some material which they can use uring the show.

While clearly not "off the cuff" it is also very different to being "scripted".

My personal view is that it does help to improve the overall quality of the show when done in moderation but sometimes this preperation can be done to excess and makes it appear more scripted than it is. (The host's jokes are often 95% scripted).

You also have to remember that these 28 minute programmes are often the edited highlights of a 90 minute filming and therefore the off-the cuff bits are usually edited out (often due to libel or excessive swearing) and the more pre-prepared stuff is left in. Go to a live filming of one of these shows & you'll see for yourself how un-"scripted" they really are!

http://www.applausestore.com/Site/
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

Mock the week must get a little scripted when they have to stand up and talk about a subjct for a few mins, and maybe the "things not to say" bit but the rest just seems off the cuff. my mate is goin to see Frankie Boyle live soon, reckon that'll be a quality gig :smt001
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Whoever picked the comedians for Mock The Week did a fantastic job.

Hugh Dennis was made for the show, whilst Dara O'Briain and David Mitchell are always brilliant.

But thee isn't a single panelist who lets the show down.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

agree with Dave angel - go to a recording and judge for yourself. I've been to HIGNFY several times and the whole recording takes about 2 hours. I reckon they know what topics are coming up but it is surely not scripted. well, except Richard Mabely's comments when he was presenter (and it showed - he was naff)

tickets are free incidentally! a really good night out.
Gray

Post by Gray »

In the afternoon that HIGNFY is recorded (Thursdays) the panalists are given all the week's newspapers to peruse, so they can "refresh" their memories of what's happened, so yes, they do have some idea of which topics will be raised.

A few years ago, Question of Sport showed a compilation of outtakes; quite often a cameraman missed a look of surprise/the sound recordist messed something up/director missed something funny and the contestant had to "act surprised" when he got the question wrong in the second take... even though Sue Barker had just told him the correct answer in the first take...
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

i believe the Comedians on mock the week get the topics/ a preview a few hours before the show, and thus have a limited time to come up with any material - thus keeping an element of competition and occasioanly its off the cuff if the comedian is inspired by another joke or something similar. That was my understanding so there is alot of off the cuff but also some stuff they've had a little while to work on.