Concert for Diana

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sim
Super User
Super User

Concert for Diana

Post by Sim »

FANTASTIC

A real tribute and a fantastic effort from the William and Harry and all those involved, its been great!
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

I hate it, I really do. The princes intentions were obviously good, but it'll just put Diana and her death back into the spotlight, and its already been examined, re-examined and exploited from every possibly angle. I feel bad for saying this, but I am sick of hearing about Diana by this point. She's been dead for years, yet you'd be forgiven for thinking she died last week! People seem to have a real problem with just letting her rest in peace.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I don't want to put a dampner on the whole thing, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth. Firstly, Diana, lovely woman, compassionate, lots of excellent work for charity, changed the view of the public on the Royal Family - sons a credit to her etc etc.

But this concert just stinks to high heaven in my book, 10 years on, YES, let's remember but a concert with celebrities in the best seats, pop "stars" apparently turning up to celebrate the occasion - I'm sure they'll all sell a few CDs on the back of it !!

Call me an old cynic, are we going to be doing this in 2017 as well ?
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

I totally disagree. I think many of the people there will be genuine because Diana touched so many peoples lives. And yes it has been in the press a lot but i think that this is a good way to celebrate Dianas life and for the preinces to get across somehting instead of having to put up with the :censored: they have experienced for the last 10 years from the pres. instead they can do somehting public and involve people who want to perform and bring people who's lives Diana touched. I think it has been fantastic.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Enjoyed some of the acts, thought others were dire. If (as is claimed) they all played for free, then some credit for that.
However, if some celebs and pop singers get some publicity out of it, so what? By contrast so have many of the lesser known charities Diana supported, and funds raised will help things like Centre Point, Terence Higgins Trust and so on. Surely that in itself is not a bad thing.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
cal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cal »

It seemed to wind down a bit towards the end and there were lots of empty seats around the stadium.
burly bill mclaren
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by burly bill mclaren »

what the heck was beckham doing presenting there? mercy that guy doesnt miss a chance at self promotion. hes never even met her?
H E RICHARDS
burly bill mclaren
Gold Member
Gold Member

did the Princes stop elton sing candle in the wind at the end? it was a weird ending
H E RICHARDS
Angelo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Angelo »

This weekend every italian newscast had U.K. in their main services. First, the failed terrorist attempt in London and Glasgow,and after the concert for Diana. I'm very happy that nothing bad happened at Wembley, after the previous bad news.
burly bill mclaren
Gold Member
Gold Member

yes 1000% certain because he said so himself

In fact it was embarassing. he was interviewed by fearne cotton he spends 30 secs reading rehearsed platitudes about her being so friendly and polite etc then cotton asks "Did you meet her?" beckham stammers "erm well no not really no I dint meet her."

having this attention seeker presenting the last but 1 act when he was zero to do with Diana is justing taking the michael.
H E RICHARDS
burly bill mclaren
Gold Member
Gold Member

thats true that was indeed a huge relief

also the speedway round the corner from me in cerdiff 50,000 people, no incidents.
H E RICHARDS
Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

burly bill mclaren wrote:yes 1000% certain because he said so himself

In fact it was embarassing. he was interviewed by fearne cotton he spends 30 secs reading rehearsed platitudes about her being so friendly and polite etc then cotton asks "Did you meet her?" beckham stammers "erm well no not really no I dint meet her."

having this attention seeker presenting the last but 1 act when he was zero to do with Diana is justing taking the michael.
I'm not a big fan of these kind of events, or of David Beckham particularly, but I think the performers and presenters were the choice of the two Princes. Didn't they choose people that they thought their mother would enjoy?

I think we have to trust their judgement on the kind of people she would have liked and I'm sure DB would have been up there.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

It was probably a bit of a wierd ending as they were overrunning & Wembley has a 10pm curfew on Sundays. Any performance that goes past that (as George Michale did on his first night) and Wembley gets fined for every minute they overrun.

The charity wouldn't lose money as a result, but the stadium itself will still be liable for the fines, and they will run into hundreds of thousands of pounds as it exceeded the curfew by nearly 20 minutes.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I'm so glad Dennis Hopper was there to introduce an act !!!???

...the world has officially gone mad !
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

BelperJon wrote:I'm with IsraeliTiger and Westwinds on this one.

The woman was killed in an RTA when her chauffeur, who was over the drink drive limit, hit a pillar at high speed and she wasn't wearing her seat belt. I appreciate her car was being chased by the papparazzi but that doesn't excuse the drunk chauffeur or not wearing the seat belt.

Unfortunate - yes; tragic - maybe; the need to have it rammed down our throats at every available opportunity by the media - definitely not. The world has kept turning with and without her so let's move on.
Technically its no longer RTA anymore, its RTC for Road Traffic Collision. And lets be honest it wasn't an accident. We will never know the truth but i do not for one moment think it was an accident. Besides she was a great human being and we shouldn't even be discussing this, she did a lot of good, and a damn sight more than most people do, she changed peoples lives, no-one can ever forget that.