Maddy Mcann

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Dave Angel wrote:And if Maddy was a less photogenic child it wouldn't have been a news story for more than 24 hours.
Spot on. If she was from a working class background as well the coverage would have been scathing, and minimal.

Yes, it's sad she has gone missing and I would be delighted to see her return. But people go missing every day, and don't recieve this ridiculous level of coverage.

Maybe it seems cold hearted, but it's honest. It seems like one thing we do better than anyone else in this country is mourn.
jshelley802

Post by jshelley802 »

I dont understand this fund thing....where exactly is the money going to? Paying for her parents flights?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

jshelley802 wrote:I dont understand this fund thing....where exactly is the money going to? Paying for her parents flights?
"Fund Details

The family of Madeleine McCann are to-day launching the Madeleine’s Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned appeal. The funds will be used to help find Madeleine McCann, support her family and bring her abductors to justice. Any surplus funds will be used to help families and missing children in United Kingdom, Portugal and elsewhere in similar circumstances. "

Her parents aren't flying back and forth, her father came home once and went straight back and those flights were donated by the airline.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

SPIKE@srufc wrote:Dave,

I've always thought your posts to be well thought out and incisive comments, therefore I assume this one is the exception which proves the rule.

Actually Spike, my comment was well thought out & the result of considered opinion.

How many British children go missing each week?

How many of them hit the headlines & stay in the media spotlight for over 3 weeks, despite there being no "new" news on the subject?

What makes this little girl so much more special than the thousands of other children who go missing every year?

I truly hope that she is found safe & well as soon as possible but the media & public attention surrounding her disappearance is excessive in my opinion. Continually displaying the same photograph on British TV of potentially the most recognisable little girl in Western Europe for 3 weeks solid isn't doing anything.

If the media & the public let the police do their job and await news when it actually happens then I have no problem with it.

The problem is that no media organisation wants to step away from this case now as they don't want to be seen as the first one to do so (and therefore come across as more "uncaring" than the rest).

Instead, they are choosing to report even the slightest bit of "non-news" on the case in order to justify their presence out there.
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

SPIKE@srufc wrote: Personally I'd rather have these very valid discussions after she is found (hopefully safe and well) until then there is a probably very scared little girl out there somewhere.
Dave,
Can I stand by this post instead?
Spike
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
andy182
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by andy182 »

So now her parents are flying to Rome for an audience with the Pope. It is getting rediculous now. I want her to be found as much as the next person but the amount of media coverage and hysteria is getting beyond belief now.

I feel sorry for the parents of any other child who has gone missing and not received this much attention in finding them.
jshelley802

Post by jshelley802 »

News of the World are having a field day with the amount of advertising they're getting.

They're not stupid are they!
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Yeah, this is getting out of hand. Apparently they're going to give the pope a picture of her.... what, in case she turns up in one of the corridors of the Vatican disguised as a priest?

I hope and pray that she is found and I think that prolonged coverage is the best way to assure her safe return, but with £350'000, thats a whole lotta coverage. They could buy a news station with that! I was thinking what those £350'000 could do in other causes such as helping end hunger or drought.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Edit edit edit. I am editing this because I don't want to upset anyone. Much. :evil:
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
andy182
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by andy182 »

Just say it Cornish, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Mine is that this has gone beyond a joke and the coverage is OTT. Whether others agree with this is up to them
lel007
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by lel007 »

The need for the search and fund was so avoidable.

A babysitter wouldn't have cost that much and I just hope the meal was worth it. It wouldn't take much for someone, perhaps in the restaurant or nearby, to notice the timescale for checking on the kids and plan an abduction accordingly.

Sorry to sound hard but I am a mother of 2 girls and would never put them in harm's way. Kids are a precious gift and need protecting in this bad world. As doctors they would have alerted Social Services for neglect of kids among their patients. Child Protection is everyone's business at home or abroad.
Vavae Voom - Tigers need for speed!
Angelo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Angelo »

This ugly story has a good media coverage in Italy too. RAI (equivalent of yours BBC) TV programme "Chi l'ha visto" that tries to solve missing people cases, is triyng to gather some information, but no news from Italy until now.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

The diserpearence is terrible, but i can't belive how blind the media is being about the crcumstances of her going missing, in all the news reports, the media have said "....after she went missing whilst her parents left her alone in the aprtment whilst having a meal in a local restraut" as if thats what everyone does, i don't like to see kids going missing but i can't help but feel this only happened because of the child neglect that heppened that eveing, and by 2 well educated people, they're both doctors, PLEASE, come on you'd have thought they'd have known better and had a boit more about themselves. I also think the media have been far too involved, if anything a bit weird how her parents keep goig on TV, and visiting foreign countries to "raise awareness"? Slightly confused where they're going with that, it seems like good old jolly to me, a very long and expensive holidy being paid for by people who have set up charity funds for her. Don't get me wrng the diserpearence of a anyone, never mind a young child is terrible but the situation is strange and i think shocking, why are people giving money to the "Find Madeleine Fund" thats what the police are for.

Rant Over

Also if anyone has a problem with what i've put, fine voice that, but don't personally attack me, im entitled to my views.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Sorry, Rant not Over

Checking on them every 30 minutes, it takes less than 5 minutes for a child to choke and die, it is unacceptable and simply bad parenting and child neglect.

Also in the paper the otehr day, the parents said they found leaving there 2 children as they went to meet the Pope really difficult. Sorry am i missing something, they've already left them alone once, ok they may have been justy down the street, and this time they were going to Rome, but i think its a bit rich. THey were off to meet the Pope as they left there child with someone looking after them and this was difficult, but it was fine to go and have a meal and leave them all alone and vulnerable????????????
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Sim wrote:The diserpearence is terrible, but i can't belive how blind the media is being about the crcumstances of her going missing, in all the news reports, the media have said "....after she went missing whilst her parents left her alone in the aprtment whilst having a meal in a local restraut" as if thats what everyone does, i don't like to see kids going missing but i can't help but feel this only happened because of the child neglect that heppened that eveing, and by 2 well educated people, they're both doctors, PLEASE, come on you'd have thought they'd have known better and had a boit more about themselves. I also think the media have been far too involved, if anything a bit weird how her parents keep goig on TV, and visiting foreign countries to "raise awareness"? Slightly confused where they're going with that, it seems like good old jolly to me, a very long and expensive holidy being paid for by people who have set up charity funds for her. Don't get me wrng the diserpearence of a anyone, never mind a young child is terrible but the situation is strange and i think shocking, why are people giving money to the "Find Madeleine Fund" thats what the police are for.

Rant Over

Also if anyone has a problem with what i've put, fine voice that, but don't personally attack me, im entitled to my views.
Totally agree with you Sim.
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...