Please have a look

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Please have a look

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

http://tinyurl.com/2a8f98

Please take a look at the above from the LI site.

As I have a stupid irrational fear of needles I stopped giving blood a few years ago. I also tried to get over this stupid fear by having the tattoo I wanted.

Didn't work I'm still a total muppet when it comes to giving blood.

However, find the above link this morning and as i have a few days off next week i have just booked to give blood. Jack's story regularly reduced me to tears as he battled his illness (together with awe at his families strength) so if this helps I'm there.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

its a good cause - i've gotten out of the habit of giving blood, had a bout of sickness which involved more needles than i care to mention, but this has given me the kick i need to start again.

i'll post the link on saints site too - it seems we're into pain :cry:
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Booked in for 1 May to give some of my plain-vanilla A+. My sister's O negative, though, so everybody wants a drop of hers, and I've arm-twisted her into going as well. :o)
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I approached a Blood Donor van a few years ago to enquire. Unfortunately, due to my thyroid condition, anaemia etc, they can't use mine. A good cause though.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

I've been a regular doner for years, but last year was told they had changed the rules and as I'd had a transfusion once in the US I could no longer give. My daughter does now though, and she's AB neg so very popular as she's rare. (if that makes sense).

Everyone should give if they can. It's fun, doesn't hurt, and men types - you get nurses leaning over you a lot - that's got to be worth an hour of your lunchbreak. I'd give again if I could.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Its also amazing who you can meet when giving blood. Always nice chatting to people.

I give when the mobile units are at the uni - you can also eyeball students at the same time!

Seriously, though, they never have enough of the stuff, so overcome your fear of needles (after all, you son't have to look!), and give your pint of dollop. It's in a good cause!

I'm A+ as well, so quite common!
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
LadyRugger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LadyRugger »

I haven't given blood, but I have had a few blood tests. They dont' hurt at all. I had to look just to see if she'd put the needle in yet! It gave me the giggles too...! But it can't be much differnt, giving blood, can it? Some people seem quite woosey after doing it though. It's a good thing to do, especially if you have a rare blood type.
I need a hero, I'm holding our for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast and he's gotta be fresh from the fight - I neeeeeeed one!!!
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Post by mrsmoody »

Saw an article in a newspaper about how there is a new breakthrough with a blood conversion:

(Turn off now if you don't like science! I'll try to make it as short as possible :oD )

"They have found two bacteria that yield enzymes capable of removing A and B antigens from red blood cells. In tests, the antigens were found to vanish from 200ml samples of A, B and AB blood after an hour's exposure to the appropriate enzyme."

From this they can make Group O blood, but it first has to be tested on human beings....

I found that quite interesting! And did you know...

- 10% of donations in the UK never reach patients.
- Each unit (2/3 of a pint) costs more than £120 to extract, screen and store.
- The NBS (England and North Wales) holds 40,000 units of blood in stock, which is only enough to last 5.5 days.

And you just have to think... it can't be worse than the BCG jab!! Do you have to be 18 to get it done?
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com