Musicals - Love 'em or hate 'em?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Musicals - Love 'em or hate 'em?

Post by cornish tigress »

Hate them.

Had to go and see Chicago last night as my nephew was in it. I knew I wouldn't ejoy it much as musicals really irritate me. If they'd just shut up and stop poncing about we might stand a chance of following the plot....but with Chicago there really IS no plot. I've never been so bored in my life. I started off just wanting to giggle, but that wore off pretty quick and I just wanted to throw myself from the balcony. Nephew of course was brilliant, he actually was, but what a pointless bunch of toss. Someone out there back me up. Please...
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

No.

I love musicals in general, some I'm not so keen on, and I've seen some dire productions in my time. Some just don't appeal (I dislike remakes of classic musical movies, they rarely work for me), but having performed in several and seen lots, I like them. Seen Joseph several times, one of my favourite musical actors Glenn Carter in various Sondheim musicals at Derby playhouse.

You should try Avenue Q - CT. A gloriously politically incorrect stage musical in the West End at the moment,
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Nicky
Super User
Super User

Post by Nicky »

hate um :lol:
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

BelperJon wrote:I'm showing my age now but I do like the musicals of the 50s/60s, e.g. Oklahoma!, South Pacific, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The King And I and West Side Story. Mrs BJ and I saw Oklahoma! at the National a year or two back when Hugh Jackman and Maureen Lipman were in the cast and we loved it. I'm not too fussed about the more recent musicals though.
Bless yore beautiful hide!
Demelza - another Mother
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

You should try opera!
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

OMG, why did I start this. This is just prolonging my hell. How can you like them? The music is always really cheesy. People dancing always make me look at my watch and drum my fingers. And they're all so :censored: chirpy.

There was one saving grace though, Jennifer Ellison wasn't in it in the Plymouth bit of the tour as she is being saved for the northern shows. PTL.
Last edited by cornish tigress on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

Hate them.

I fell asleep during Chicago.

Was cajoled into going to see Mama Mia last year where you're expected to stand up and get 'involved' :roll:

I'm sorry I just don't get them...
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

:lol: Thank you, thank you! Chris was in the Mamma Mia tour too, but I loathe Abba so we were busy every night for 9 months! But we couldn't miss both. He said last night he is going to do some tv work next - huge sigh of relief.
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

had to see grease once. it wasn't as bad as i was expecting but not really a fan no. Oh sandy!! anyways gots to go, off to the line up auditions to be angela jolie's new kid :lol:
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
wills_#1fan!
Super User
Super User

Post by wills_#1fan! »

I love them!
Love them love them!
If we never meet again,
Think of me every now and then!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

BelperJon wrote:
Rizzo wrote:Bless yore beautiful hide!
As long as you're not a gal who can't say no! ;o)

Rizzo, your signature has been bugging me for a couple of days until now. I've finally remembered where the lyrics come from.
I'm recognising my age - a long time since my Teenage Rampage.

Sorry, still love musicals! I sing a lot (sometimes on stage still) and I've done the cheesy dance routines too (hard work - especially with a post setbuilding hangover).
My personal favourites are still Grease, High Society, Seven Brides and Kismet.
Demelza - another Mother
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Re: Musicals - Love 'em or hate 'em?

Post by dailywaffle »

cornish tigress wrote:Hate them.

Had to go and see Chicago last night as my nephew was in it. I knew I wouldn't ejoy it much as musicals really irritate me. If they'd just shut up and stop poncing about we might stand a chance of following the plot....but with Chicago there really IS no plot. I've never been so bored in my life. I started off just wanting to giggle, but that wore off pretty quick and I just wanted to throw myself from the balcony. Nephew of course was brilliant, he actually was, but what a pointless bunch of toss. Someone out there back me up. Please...
Put me down for 'Hate'. As for Chicago, despite the very attractive CZJ ..... one of the worst films of all time. Just awful; how could it have won those Oscars ? Only IMO, of course.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I suppose I'm guilty in that the shows we put on in Kinoulton were always musicals or shows with lots of music in them.

But in our defence we (me and the producer) insisted that every song / dance was genuinely funny and not a vehicle for some egotist to show how bl**dy talented they were.

If someone said: "I've always wanted to sing such-and-such" they'd be told to go home and sing it to the cat, as why should our paying audience have to sit whilst they got their favourite song out.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
StamfordTiger

Post by StamfordTiger »

Me and Mrs ST went to London a few weeks ago and watched Mary Poppins. Didn't think i would like it but it proved to be a great night out.

I think it may be because i had seen the film when i was a kid. Dont think i'd like any other ones though :o?
Tuilagi is nails!

:pint:

http://tinyurl.com/2stxl4
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Partly depends how you define a musical, I suppose. The Who's three "rock operas" (Tommy, Quadrophenia and the abortive one which resulted in "Who's Next") produced some of my favourite music ever, and I guess they count as "musicals".