Slugs

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DCat
Super User
Super User

Slugs

Post by DCat »

Okay, we've done DLLs and Spiders - aren't the slugs at the moment effing huge!!? At least six inches long in some cases!

Yuk
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Not noticed them although with all this rain, they should be out!! :( :(

What do you use against them Debbie?

I use the slug pellets as a matter of course but If you sometimes use another method, It would be great to know!! :wink:
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

i haven't seen that many slugs, but there is no doubt that there are some out there. not nearly as bad as the daddy longlegs' anyway!
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

I usually use slug pellets, but only in selected areas. Too late for my Hibiscus though.

Tried salt once when I was hugely pi$$ed - that was disgusting & rather cruel.

Sponsored by Kleenex
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

A lot of people sink a glass of beer into the grass, they fall in and die happy. Bit of a waste of beer though. And you have to clear them out. I'm back with the pellets for now until my seedlings get a chance. I hate it though, they kind of lie there fizzing and you feel so cruel. Agree with you Debbie, some are really fat and huge. And they ooze so much goo when you pick them up it takes loads of soap to get it off. At least snails have the handy shell to pick them up with.
wills_#1fan!
Super User
Super User

Post by wills_#1fan! »

i have tried salt once... but generally just run away like a wuss
If we never meet again,
Think of me every now and then!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

pick them up? Eeuw :x

Sponsored by Kleenex
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

My fifteen month old lad was suspiciously quiet in the garden a few days ago - clearly fascinated by something. Upon closer investigation, my wife spotted the slug in his hand, which he was just lifting up to his mouth. She intervened just in time!!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Why intervene? They're delicious.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Slugs & snails & puppy dogs tails, eh Kinny?

Sponsored by Kleenex
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Is that how you docked Spud? Poor puppy.
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Slug Phobia

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

Here's two slug stories:-

1. I arrived home late on Saturday night and staggered over to see my ferrets to make sure they had food and to skip their litter tray out. I was horrified to find their food bowl was full of those huge pale slugs with orange underbellies. I was mortified that these molluscs had taken over my ferret food!!!

Yuk, I had to pick them out of the food bowl and then attempt to get the slug gunge off my fingers. This wasn't easy and it was absolutely tipping it down with rain and anything that I touched became immediately slimy.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can keep them from getting into the hutch, I would be extremely interested.

2. One of my best friends sons used to call and see me regularly. His name was Matthew (nicknamed "Chunk" as he was quite fat with ginger hair and large freckles to match). He came round one day and was laughing inanely and I questioned him as to what was so funny.

He said he'd been talking to some girls and had made them all hold snails that he'd found in the garden.

I asked him "what was so funny about that?" and he said "well you know what snails eat don't you?"

I replied "No Matthew, what do snails eat?" to which his reply was "DOG POO!!!!" and he continued to roll around laughing. He never did grow up to like girls as he's decided he's gay now. :cry:
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

Gonzo wrote:My fifteen month old lad was suspiciously quiet in the garden a few days ago - clearly fascinated by something. Upon closer investigation, my wife spotted the slug in his hand, which he was just lifting up to his mouth. She intervened just in time!!
i ate a snail when i was really little according to my mum, but never a slug!
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Hi Kaye. How are you doing? Are the ferrets up on stilts in their hutch. Maybe you could try anti climb paint if they are. That might work with slugs. Or those wrappy plastic things you put round trees to protect the trunks wrapped round the legs. Maybe they couldn't climb up then? I get them in my dog's bowl, but he eats the food so fast there's no danger of a slug getting in while he's eating!
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

Cornish Tiger wrote:Hi Kaye. How are you doing? Are the ferrets up on stilts in their hutch. Maybe you could try anti climb paint if they are. That might work with slugs. Or those wrappy plastic things you put round trees to protect the trunks wrapped round the legs. Maybe they couldn't climb up then? I get them in my dog's bowl, but he eats the food so fast there's no danger of a slug getting in while he's eating!
No hon, they're in a two-tier hutch. There must be something I could spray on the hutch. Maybe there's some sort of salt gun or something like that. I occasionally catch the ferret eating one, DISGUSTING!!!!! :cry:
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!